Berating an "Instructor" on a dive boat. How should I have handled differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a boat out of Pompano a few months ago. Some experienced divers, but also many, many OW and those with <25 dives. This was a huge "party boat" type pontoon that held 36 divers (and was full). We were doing one of the "wreck trek's".......[snip].......
If you've read this far -- what would you have done? Should I have continued on with him until he accepted he was wrong? I felt that it would make the situation even worse telling an instructor all the things he did wrong in front of his student. (Once I actually found out he was an instructor). Was I totally wrong, should I have just minded my own business from the beginning?

First thing I would have done is have a long talk with myself ----regarding how foolish it was of me to consider diving on a party boat with a bunch of accidents waiting to happen....and that's just the instructors ...the students being even worse :)

After that talk, I'd be too embarrassed to say anything else to anyone, having just broken so many rules of common sense.

A number of ScubaBoard heated debate threads illustrate a fact of life; trying to continue on to somebody until he admits he is wrong is going to end badly. On the forum, that'll be after a few pages of angry bickering likely changing no minds as debaters vie for mindshare amongst spectators for their views.

When you attack someone (which you did), it is human nature that his focus goes from figuring out the right thing to do to protecting his ego. I don't mean 'ego' in the puffed up narcissistic sense, but rather in the sense of self/dignity sense.

Consider these excerpts from your part of the interaction (I'll bold some parts of interest):

That was his introduction to you. I suspect at the point you'd already lost much of your chance to reach him.

[/COLOR]
I'm gonna take a wild guess here that you did not come across friendly. You still seem heated and with some attitude as you post some time after the fact.

I'm glad this didn't break out in a fist fight.

I get the sense you believed you were doing the right thing, trying to help people. It's often hard to know just when to let well enough alone. I've thought over your post and responses to it for awhile. In real life, there are a number of people doing dangerous things we do not accost. Consider:

1.) Fat people (disclaimer: I'm chunky) at buffets.

2.) Smokers.

3.) Obviously pregnant women smoking.

4.) Parents taking chubby little kids into fast food joints.

I respect what you were trying to do. I suspect the way you went about it may have gotten in the way of what you hoped to accomplish. Sadly, sometimes we need to let endangered people be.

Richard.

I won't say nothing to the fat bastard at the buffet, but the pregnant women smoking... yeah I probably couldn't hold my tongue on that one..

You said that this was a beginner wreck and, if I understood you correctly, you are not yet a certified tech diver. I would take a serious look in the mirror. Your hotheaded attitude and lack of respect for others could cause you and your team some serious trouble.

It IS both inconsiderate and potentially unsafe to run line in such a way as to make it easy for novice divers to get tangled in it. When, for example, we do classes or practice in our local mudhole with reels, we are very careful to run our lines close to the bottom and as much as possible, in areas of the site where new divers are unlikely to go.

AJ, I think it's been too long since you had anything to do with novice divers for you to remember how poor their situational awareness often is, and how little they have in the way of resources to deal with trouble. It's more than most should be doing to be diving through even a sanitized wreck, but to get entangled in someone's line while doing so might well provoke panic, depending on the diver.

I think the OP was right to be distressed at what was done. And having been guilty on more occasions than I can count, of saying something about someone when they were standing right behind me, I also understand finding yourself in that situation and trying to figure out how to salvage it.

It IS both inconsiderate and potentially unsafe to run line in such a way as to make it easy for novice divers to get tangled in it.

Both true and completely irrelevant to whether you should even think of proactively cutting someone's line, even inside an "easy" wreck. Messing with someone's staged bottle or intentionally interfering with their line are both the sorts of thing that can provoke understandable fisticuffs topside, or wholly justifiable violence underwater if seen by the person staking their safety on the equipment with which you're screwing.

To the OP: you can bemoan the idiots' line placement topside all you want, but underwater it's your job to avoid their line if you possibly can and leave it to the flailers to either turn back, avoid it, or cut it themselves if they get tangled. Even talking about cutting other people's lines should earn you an asswhupping. Actually doing it for that stupid a reason? Hope and pray there are enough people around to save you if you get caught.

I think OP has been getting an asswhupping from you gang and mostly because he dared type out that the thought had crossed his mind.

Near as I can tell, OP's biggest sin was thinking a thought and then foolishly sharing it here and having everyone's response to that (including my own) cause the following posts to go in that direction rather than helping him with his real query. BS answers like he shouldn't have been diving there in the first place are no damn help either. Suggestions for moderating his temper may be helpful withrrespect to ongoing training. But that coming from some of the hotheads around here is downright amusing.

All your thoughts are understandable.

Never ever ever ever ever cut any line unless it's 100% necessary. Even then make all attempts to repair or replace the line as long as gas margins will allow.

In this situation I'd of relaid a line next to a bulkhead/floor/ceiling/middle of the passage, as may be appropriate, tied in to his line and then cut his line, as it was not 100% necessary his line be removed in the first place.

I'll also make a point that sometimes laying line in the middle of a passage against no walls, ceilings or floors is entirely the right way to go about things.

If divers can't spot entanglement issues and deal with them if they miss one, they shouldn't be in a wreck in the first place.

I understand how you think you're entirely in the right here, but you aren't. It's an issue of your current level of training and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was I totally wrong, should I have just minded my own business from the beginning?

I see from your profile that you lack any sort of overhead training. What were you doing inside the wreck?

:D

But seriously, if the guy had genuinely ran his line in a way that presented a safety issue to him, me, or other divers - which point is not completely clear from your post - I probably would have said something. However I would not have "berated" him or called him a "moron" and in a million years it wouldn't occur to me to cut someone else line in this situation, no matter how it was placed.

I see from your profile that you lack any sort of overhead training. What were you doing inside the wreck?

:D

To be fair I lack any official overhead training yet can't remember the last time I dived open water...4 cave dives this week....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair I lack any official overhead training yet can't remember the last time I dived open water...4 cave dives this week....

WOW!!! I am impressed. May I kiss your ring?

Back
Top Bottom