Bent fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncscuba

Reaction score
Here is a question. I had stored a set of v-drive fins in my attic last summer. Apparently, one of the fins was laying in a way that made it bend from the extreme heat of the attic. So now when I put the fins on and I am standing, the tip of the fin bends upward. Is there a way to fix this, or am I out a set of fins?

:031:

How bad is the bend? My Jet Fins occasionally bend a bit when I leave them sitting funny, but a dive or two fixes them right up.

They are not too bad. I did use them in a cold rock quarry dive, but the performance has been effected. The v in the v-drive has smoothed out. They didn't seem to snap back to the usual shape. The bend is about 2-3" off the ground at the tip when I am standing and wearing them.

The fins are great! Now they are bent, not so great. I have used some duct tape and are going to put them back in the hot attic and see what happens.

I wouldn't do that. Try some gentle bending with the aid of a hair dryer on low setting. This way you can focus the heat on the area that needs to be treated, rather than subject the entire fin to heat that will end up making things worse. If that doesn't work, or you're not satisfied with any attempts, you might as well fork off the $$ and buy a new set.

Thanks, that sounds like a plan. I have pulled them form the closet, and will get my wife's hair dryer and work with them this weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom