Belize - Placencia Peninsula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
A group of us is going to Belize for a quick trip (5 nights and 4 days of diving). It would be nice to do some of the inland touring during our down time, but not really feasible from Ambergis or other cayes. Apparently you can do a little of everything from Placencia. A few questions though:

1) How does Placencia compare from a dive quality standpoint to Ambergis?
2) On a cost standpoint?
3) Can you do the Blue Hole from Placencia?
4) What land-based activities can you do from Placencia?
5) Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

TravelDave:
A group of us is going to Belize for a quick trip (5 nights and 4 days of diving). It would be nice to do some of the inland touring during our down time, but not really feasible from Ambergis or other cayes. Apparently you can do a little of everything from Placencia. A few questions though:

1) How does Placencia compare from a dive quality standpoint to Ambergis?
2) On a cost standpoint?
3) Can you do the Blue Hole from Placencia?
4) What land-based activities can you do from Placencia?
5) Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

It's US$75 for a two tank dive to Ranguana or Gladden which are at the barrier reef, 20 miles out. The second dive is most likely at Laughingbird Caye. You also pay about $15 for park fees. This is a new charge.
The diving on the reef is, I believe, better than Ambergirs. It's more wall diving. There is a wall at Ambergris but it starts at about 40-50 meters.
The Blue Hole is not generally done from here. It's far. However, Glover's Reef is close and it's said to be the best diving in Belize. I haven't been there but I've been told by experienced locals.
You can get to the Cockscomb Jaguar Reserve and Monkey River for nature stuff. Rent a car and you can go up the Hummingbird Hwy. There are lots of tourist things up there.
Get a fishing guide. There's great fishing all around here.

We went to Belize in 2001, spending 3-4 days on Ambergris Caye and then 6-7 days in Placencia. The costs (accommodation, food, diving) were comparable in both places. On Ambergris, the Hol Chan marine preserve was fun to dive and the Blue Hole trip was more convenient. But overall we MUCH preferred Placencia. The diving was lovely, the town was more charming and fun, and the land activities added a lot to the experience. We loved the Monkey River trip, the Blue Creek jungle canopy walk, and hiking in the jaguar preserve. I would definitely recommend Placencia -- have a good trip!

pigletfish:
We went to Belize in 2001, spending 3-4 days on Ambergris Caye and then 6-7 days in Placencia. The costs (accommodation, food, diving) were comparable in both places. On Ambergris, the Hol Chan marine preserve was fun to dive and the Blue Hole trip was more convenient. But overall we MUCH preferred Placencia. The diving was lovely, the town was more charming and fun, and the land activities added a lot to the experience. We loved the Monkey River trip, the Blue Creek jungle canopy walk, and hiking in the jaguar preserve. I would definitely recommend Placencia -- have a good trip!
That is awesome information! We are going to Dangria and Placencia at the end of April. When I was researching for our trip it seamed like that was a great option because you can go to the outer atolls and do some land tours - the best of both worlds.

pm belize diver,

Karin is a student of mine and lives/works down that way.

We leave for Danriga, Belize in 5 days! Can't wait. We picked the Hamanasi Resprt as it got good reviews, and is close to several land excursions my lady wants to see. Any dive suggestions? Was thinking the Blue Hole but the last few nights several posts have got me second guessing and looking at the alternatives, which are closer anyway.

gypsyjim:
We leave for Danriga, Belize in 5 days! Can't wait. We picked the Hamanasi Resprt as it got good reviews, and is close to several land excursions my lady wants to see. Any dive suggestions? Was thinking the Blue Hole but the last few nights several posts have got me second guessing and looking at the alternatives, which are closer anyway.

How was Belize?

Any other suggestions for places to stay on Placencia besides Hamanasi? Looking for decent quality and affordable.

TravelDave:
Any other suggestions for places to stay on Placencia besides Hamanasi? Looking for decent quality and affordable.

Hamanasi isn't on the Placencia penn. It's about 10 miles north. Nice places on the "penn" are Robert's Grove, Zebo's, Turtle Inn...Turtle Inn is closest to Placencia town. All these resorts have their own dive shops and boats. Robert's has a Dive Pro 46 or 48. I would say it's the nicest dive boat here especially when it's rough. Hank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom