Belize or Roatan? Need info and opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone

the snow has hit toronto finally so naturally i am trying to plan a vacation down south. My dad and I are both divers and he suggested Belize or Roatan instead of the usual mexico dive spot.

ive done some searches on both locations but cant seen to find out what towns to visit if we want to dive.is Belize City on the water?......also, whats there available that is NOT an all inclusive resort? we want to just sleep and dive, and dont mind eating/drinking in town.

everything in Roatan seems to be "a private cabana for two" ...not the vibe im going for, plus if me and my dad argue the only way to get away from each other is to swim away to the rest of the resorts! big problem id say.

so basically, which isa better, where should we stay, what dive opps are best? we're thinking of heading down in january or feb. thanks!

ive done some searches on both locations but cant seen to find out what towns to visit if we want to dive.....is Belize City on the water?......also, whats there available that is NOT an all inclusive resort? we want to just sleep and dive, and dont mind eating/drinking in town.

everything in Roatan seems to be "a private cabana for two" ...not the vibe im going for, plus if me and my dad argue the only way to get away from each other is to swim away to the rest of the resorts! big problem id say.

so basically, which isa better, where should we stay, what dive opps are best? we're thinking of heading down in january or feb. thanks!

You need to work the :search: button here on :sblogo:

Belize City is indeed on the water but nowhere near the diving. In Belize, you would best search for guest houses out on the Belize Cays, the outlying islands. There are some small islands that only have one AI dive op, other more populated cays have other options.

Just 90 miles to the SSE is Roatan. If you don't want an AI resort, the answer is very easy. Look for guest houses in the "West End" area.

Both islands, at that time of year, will be likely subject to "Northers". These winds and high waves are pushed down from the North when arctic blasts push as far as Texas. Fairly common.

This is why most Belizian operations are located on the southern sides of the keys. On Roatan, the day dive guest house ops are fairly heavily exposed to this.

SCUBABoard is an excellent resource for this oft asked question.

Which is better? Yes.

As far as Belize, you fly into Belize City - which is on the water but definitely not where you would want to spend your vacation. It's not really a nice city or vacation place, and while there's at least one large dive op there that does a lot of cruise ship business, it's too far from most of the diving to make sense as a base.

There are a number of areas you might go. Ambergris Caye to the north is popular, with a variety of places to stay and eat. I'd guess you'd find something there to suit you. Caye Caulker is another option. To the south there are resorts and diving in the Placencia area. A liveaboard is a good choice in Belize because the best diving is out on the atolls - if you are land based you might decide to do one day trip out there, and it will be a long and expensive day. There are also small resorts on various outlying islands and atolls ranging from pretty nice to pretty much camping.

Belize info -
start looking here: Belize vacation hotel dive package rates with Bay Adventures
Ambergris Cay is probably a good bet for you. Smaller hotels, restaurants in walking distance. Lots of topside activities are available when you aren't diving - trips over to the mainland for zip lines, jungle tubing and tours, Mayan ruin tours, zoo... most people who go to Belize are looking for a mix of topside and diving on their trip.

Roatan info -
start looking here:
Rotan Honduras diving vacation rates and trip quote - Bay Adventures
most resorts are all-inclusive. Some topside activities are available like zip lines, island tours, iguana farm... but focus is on diving.

Hey Toronto girl -- as a diver living in Ottawa, I know what you mean! We just got back from Cozumel and we're missing it!

We've been to Belize and Roatan. Both are great. Roatan is easier to get to -- try Nolitours. We stayed at Fantasy Island which is a very basic AI with a great dive op. You just step on board at the dock and you're off. The dive masters are terrific. Very easy diving -- no currents. Lots of people also like Anthony's Key and there may be more to do there traveling with a parent. Fantasy Island is a long way from town. I think I'd go to the west end if with my dad.

We dove on Ambergris Caye in Belize -- you have a short prop plane hop from Belize City. Lots to do on AC. Fun bars and restaurants. Try Seabreeze suites right on the beach in town and 2 minutes from the dive ops. We dove with Chuck and Robbie's. A small dive op that caters to you. We saw lots of rays and sharks and had really great dives with DM Enriquez. If you want better beaches off the beaten track, we stayed at Captain Morgan's but it's a 20 minute boat ride from town and there's little to do there in evenings.

Let me know if you'd like any more info.

I recently stayed at the Real McCaw on Caye Caulker, Belize and have stayed at Journeys End and Portofino resorts on Ambergris and been to Placencia twice. Caye Caulker is much more laid back than San Pedro Town on Ambergris Caye, but there is certainly more to do in San Pedro. The main advantage of Caye Caulker is that it is closer to the atolls. The most popular being the Blue Hole. Most boats depart San Pedro and then stop at Caye Caulker on the way out and then also on the way back so if you leave from Caye Caulker you will get an hour of extra sleep.

If your plan is breakfast, dive, lunch, dive, dinner, sleep, repeat, then Caye Caulker
If your plan is breakfast, dive, dive, lunch, shop, dinner, then San Pedro.

Or do what I did, spend a few days in Caye Caulker, do a 2 tank local dive, then the blue hole and then go to San Pedro to do a ton of local dives. I had a great experience with Ecologic Dives in San Pedro and have done the blue hole with both Amigos and AquaDives.

Placencia is very tiny and unless you are there during whale shark season it is not worth the trip. The diving is better up north.

we want to just sleep and dive, and dont mind eating/drinking in town.

If you decide on Roatan, you will want to stay in West End. That is where most of the dive ops are and the best variety of restaurants. If you want to get away from "good ole dad" and enjoy the night life, West End is still the best place to be. Coconut Tree Divers is a great dive op and many on this board recommend them.

Most of the hotels are set up for doubles, so your search for single rooms may be tough. I suggest going to Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor and do a search for Roatan. You will find loads of excellent comments from the reviewers.

One thing you may want to consider is: at the AI resorts you meet a lot of other divers, so you and your dad will have others to talk to. You will also get to do more diving. They generally operate on the idea, as you stated in your post, all their guest want to do is dive, eat and sleep.

roger

Both places are great. If you go to belize the best diving is on Ambrigus caye or one of the other cayes. The walls just outside the biggest barrier reef in this hemisphere are great. If you go to Roatan, the diving was also great. i would suggest getting a 2 bedroom condo at infinity Bay taht is new with a great pool, friendly staff and still reasonably priced. If you go there dive with Bananarama. They were great

Excellent thread...I've had the same questions in mind that are being answered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom