Belize Nekton Pilot: Crewmember lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone asked up-topic whether the Sun Dancer or Aggressor were involved in searching. Both were tied up at the Radisson that Thursday and Friday, and probably not even aware of what was happening out on the Pilot. I got into Belize Thursday afternoon and stopped by to say hi to whatever PH crew happened to be around (I dove with them a few years ago).

The cook, Araminda, was quoted up-topic as saying Cory had worked for Nekton for seven years. According to several crew, that is not accurate. He'd worked there for four months.

The Belize Coast Guard visited the Pilot twice last week, came aboard and met privately with the Captain. I did not pry into the substance of those discussions, but the upshot is, they eventually called off the search without having found him.

FWIW

First I will respond to the solo diving. As I said, it's your prerogative if you dive solo and I understand that DM's usually have thousands more dives than most ever will. For all you die hard solo divers, I'm sure you are aware that there is a little more risk involved by not having a buddy with you. Do you feel the same way about someone who has been diving for less than a year and probably has less than 60 dives under their belt? Just curious. I have heard it mentioned that some people have been trained to dive solo, I'm not sure if Cory had officially been trained or not but I know he had completed DM Instructor last year.

We spoke with our local dive shop about our trip since we booked it through them. Our shop was either called by Nekton's owner or vice versa and they found some more info about this incident. While on our trip A crew member had told us he was pretty good about logging his dives. They have looked at his log book and he had several dives somewhat recently that were around 180 feet in depth. Again, we heard several times from at least two crew members that he had no air, depth gauge, computer was broken. Not really sure what can be said about all of that.

These earlier comments are really concerning about Cory's equipment...if they are fact. Someone else must of know this before his night dive.

1. His computer was broken
2. He had no depth gauge
3. He had no night glow sticks or tank indicators
4. He didn't have on a wetsuit and crew said he tended to overweight himself

You are right Trwmodela, his equipment was never recovered and other crew members knew that his computer was broken, no depth gauge, no air gauge,etc... I am not placing blame on them just stating what was immediately told to us by crew members when they realized he wasn't back on board.

These earlier comments are really concerning about Cory's equipment...if they are fact. Someone else must of know this before his night dive.
1. His computer was broken
2. He had no depth gauge
3. He had no night glow sticks or tank indicators
4. He didn't have on a wetsuit and crew said he tended to overweight himself

This is my point exactly, if indeed this is true. What is troubling is that there was no official investigation which would have allowed the authorities to determine the cause of the accident. (At least not to my knowledge)

There might be an offical report somewhere. If so, I really hope someone tells us where we might find it.

Nevertheless I would think that Nekton would conduct an in-house investigation to determine if others aboard were aware of any safety violations or hazards or equipment problems.

I think that we forget that crew members are equally at risk on the job. Crew members are constantly in and out of the water. What effect does that have on their equipment?

I noticed that they don't always take the time to rinse, clean or even refill their own tanks after a dive.

For those of you "complaining" about the "romantic" relationships that were happening during this trip you do not know the whole truth.

Of all the posts I've read, and all the conversations I've heard. I've never heard anyone "complain" about the relationships UWBB spoke about in the earlier post. The issue was one of PROFESSIONALISM, not relationships.

The female passenger who was in the pilot house often was a girlfriend of one of the crew members. Every once in a while she pays for a trip to visit her boyfriend. There is nothing wrong with that. Also, did you see any PDA? I would think the answer is no. People were able to step into the pilot house if they asked. Whenever a guest came to speak with that certain crew member, the guy would take care of the guest and "ignore his girlfriend". My mother was on this trip and did not have any issues with the "romantic" complaints others may have had. There was purportedly one guest who complained about everything and you know who you are. If it was such a big deal, you should have confronted the crew member. Besides, sometimes what people may think is "romantic" is just two people having fun because they're friendly people and have similar interests. No one was ignored.

Your mother must be an Intelligence Officer because you appear to be extremely well informed on the nuances, guest profiles and activities which occured on the Nekton Pilot on this particular week.

This is my point exactly, if indeed this is true. What is troubling is that there was no official investigation which would have allowed the authorities to determine the cause of the accident. (At least not to my knowledge)

There might be an offical report somewhere. If so, I really hope someone tells us where we might find it.

cause of accident can only be determined (and then only sometimes) in case the body and equipment is found (i.e. they could check things like if there was air in the tank, equipment failure etc.) - otherwise the official report would just be diver missing/lost at sea.

Sorry this is so long! Most has gotten off subject of the accident.

First let me apologize, I probably shouldn't have posted my list of other issues with Nekton in this forum/post. With the Holidays I have yet to post a full trip report, those probably should have gone in there. I also want to say that we had a good time on the boat aside from this tragedy. I would not entirely rule out going on another Nekton trip in the future. Several issues that I mentioned above were discussed by guests throughout the week (some of which had a lot more to say about things than we did) prior to Cory's disappearance. We never once complained about anything during our trip to the crew and we honestly filled out the report card. I know other guests on our trip had entirely different feelings (some far worse and some better) but many of us talked about them and felt Safety as a whole could be better. It's not like this incident just brought all this out, they would have been mentioned regardless. I thought that was the point of scubaboard, to share your honest experiences for the benefit of others.

For Gale, WOW. You have a lot of criticizing remarks to say about me for someone who was not on that trip and has no idea how this has impacted everyone on that boat. I'm still thinking about him everyday and I can't imagine how the crew is feeling and most importantly his family. I have NEVER criticized the crews response efforts or their feelings regarding Cory and I thought they did about the best they could, held it together remarkably but I know they were feeling it. I am fully aware that they read this site, maybe even more so because we were talking with crew members, Lieutenant and Captain on several occasions about other comments that have been made about Nekton prior to this our trip. On our last night on the boat (in port) we even sat with them and read some things directly off this site. Most of them had laptops out and we know some of them were checking out people's previous and upcoming trip comments. Some people said some things that would have hurt or irritated them on much more trivial issues but it's everyone's right on here to post their experiences through their eyes.

Here are the facts: For whatever reason, that week, they did not do a safety drill. Myself and others wondered if/when it was going to be done towards the beginning of the week but it never happened.

I won't argue about diving alone but will say this. If he had been diving with someone (another crew member or guest) we would hopefully at least know what happened to him. Possibly he wouldn't have tried to go however deep he went, who knows. Most importantly we know nothing which is the worst.

I never said that the crew didn't do everything they could to find him. I thought I was pretty clear about all their efforts. While I don't necessarily agree with how everyone else felt on board about their search efforts, it's their opinion to express them. Some people felt strongly that they didn't do everything they could have done, others made no comments one way or the other. It's easy in these kinds of situations for people to place blame on coulda/woulda/shoulda. Since we were one of the few guests that were awake during the search efforts, I honestly believe he probably wouldn't have been recovered no matter what (if coast guard showed up, if they let everyone in the water, etc...) We hoped and prayed he would but knowing what we did and seeing how still the water was, how well they searched that's how I personally felt.

My point about the sign in/out board (and no I don't think it would have prevented his disappearance) is that it's not used as effectively as it could be. You do NOT walk past it. You would have to walk past the stairs to the dive deck and towards the showers, it was nearby but many people forgot to fill it out entirely or partially every day. After this incident the crew had a meeting and we know lots of issues were discussed, one crew member told us afterwards that it was mentioned that they would start checking people's computers if necessary for depth, etc... We have all seen the "reckless" newbie diver that has to push all the limits. When you have an open dive deck for half the day, I think it would be easy for someone less experienced to not pay attention to their surface intervals or their depth. I just think the whole point of that board would be more efficient if they had it on the dive deck and you were signed in/out when you actually get in. Obviously Cory's equipment wasn't back so they could tell he was gone but they have a lot of people to keep track of, it's meant to help them with that.

Regarding crew members and relationships. The girlfriend: I don't ever recall having met or had an introduction as to who she was/her relationship on our first night on board when they have the briefing. For us, we had no idea if she was a crew member officially or if they had just met or had a relationship. There was obvious romantic contact (again nothing inappropriate in everyday norms). I think both of the people involved are great people, he is a great crew member and she is very nice. She did get special treatment being allowed in the pilot house whenever she wanted. Did it bother me, no but I think it sends the wrong message to guests.

Another crew member started a relationship with a guest and again, It's their real world so I understand. We watched several movies with them in the galley where they were in more close contact holding each other than my husband and myself. Nothing inappropriate but it could have been more discreet. If most of us had that type of contact with a co-worker or guest/client in front of the office it would raise eyebrows to the professionalism. Another example of what was perceived by some as special treatment: When none of the guests were allowed (understandably) to aid with the search and rescue efforts, this guest was asked by a crew member twice to go out on one of the search boats. Did it really piss me off, No but several of us had offered to assist and weren't allowed.

Another guy and girl that were also crew members met on board and had been dating for about a year. They were NEVER seen intimately together in any way. In fact this same person pointed out that he thought the crew/guest relationship should have been more discreet midway through. I have no problem with people dating but there's a time and a place.

As for the pranks, it wasn't just one or two things that happened. It continued to escalate like I've never seen before and honestly someone could have gotten hurt physically. Initially I thought it was kind of funny but it just went on all day and ended up with people pissed off in front of guests.

Lastly, "Ginger" was his official nickname but everyone pretty much called him Ginge. You wouldn't have known that since you never met him but it wasn't a spelling mistake. Arminda, the cook, was standing next to me when I asked her how long he had worked for Nekton. Perhaps she misunderstood and thought I was asking how long she had been on board. Regardless he was an asset to their team.

You mentioned in "Hindsight" many things probably could have been done differently. For someone who has a lot of criticism to cast for me, tell us what you think could have been done differently since you weren't there and have no idea how things were handled. Keep in mind, you were on a boat just after a tragedy took place. You don't think that they were on their "best" behavior in lieu of what took place? I know one crew member quit after that meeting. I'm just being honest about what took place on our trip and I have several that can back that up. Pardon my harshness but you obviously have no idea how upsetting this has been for all of us.

UBB wrote:
I have NEVER criticized the crews response efforts or their feelings regarding Cory and I thought they did about the best they could,

I never said that =you= criticized their rescue efforts. Actually it was "themostunique" who wrote: "Search and rescue was nearly nonexistant and they rushed through that to the recovery stage in about 12 hours. That's for the loss of one of their crew family members; gosh, what if it had been a guest? Just pull up the anchor and go?" I thought that remark was inappropriate, although of course everyone is entitled to say what they want on ScubaBoard, within the stated posting rules.

Regarding crew members and relationships, my point was that it didn't sound like there was anything unusual or inappropriate about what was going on between crew and guests, compared to what happens on dive boats and in resorts all over the world.

Lastly, "Ginger" was his official nickname but everyone pretty much called him Ginge.

*sigh* Yes, I know. I thought it would be worth mentioning that "Ginge" is pronounced with soft "Gs" and a soft "i" because it's hard to tell that from how it's written. My mistake for trying to be helpful.

Clearly emotions are running high over this. I am sorry that I offended you.

Gale

I had the pleasure of meeting Ginge on a trip on the pilot in Nov. I was quite saddened when I heard of his loss. My prays are with him, his family and friends. Ginge was a great guy and will be missed greatly. He was truly as asset to the crew on the pilot.

There are two Cory's working for Nekton on the Pilot correct?

I met a Cory that was hired in September 07 he first worked the week of 09-15-07 on the Rorqual. He was then transferred to the Pilot at the shipyard in Florida. Then the vessel was heading to Belize for the winter diving season. This Cory is soft spoken and had blonde hair. I do not remember a nickname because he was new to Nekton. So, there is a Cory that worked for over 7 years and this Cory that worked for about 4 months. I do have some photos of him (4-month Cory) from my NW Bahamas trip.

I am really confused on which one passed away.

Does anyone have a link to his OB?

The cook, Araminda, was quoted up-topic as saying Cory had worked for Nekton for seven years. According to several crew, that is not accurate. He'd worked there for four months.

FWIW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom