Belize Aggressor IV - Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were no scooters under the table on starboard side. Could have been on the port side, I never went there.

Found a picture. Scooters on both sides.

Attachments

• 2018-05-26-1849.JPG
    2018-05-26-1849.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 106
...Personally I hated the hang bar. First few times I hung on it, nearly got my reg ripped out of my mouth and strangled by my long hose. After that, I did my safety stops under the boat near the ladder but safely away from the hang bar. Lesson learned.

"Nearly strangled" by your long hose? When your long hose should be behind your neck?

I had no issues with my long hose or anything else at the hang bar. It was quite convenient and a fun ride. Often we just waited while the boat disappeared and then reappeared magically in about the same place.

@caruso, thanks for that video. It took me home. Reef is still pretty healthy out that way. I've had some seriously zen dives at the Atolls.

I'm a plus one for the big clips when on a liveaboard but use them on land based trips too. Very handy

@drrich2, yes hallelujah to the lycra socks. I've been promoting their use on Scubaboard for years. 20 or so years ago, I was doing Sipidan/Mabul and my feet were so chewed up from my booties it was getting to the point I almost didn't enjoy my remaining dives. I was extremely fortunate to meet the photography team, Burt Jones and Maureen Schimlock. Not only were they very nice people, beyond gracious above and below but I will bless Burt for the rest of my life. He saw my feet and told me about lycra socks.

I bought a pair as soon as I got home and have had nary a rub since. Nowadays I carry extra too so can share with others on liveaboards. (Well, actually I carry extras in case I lose one which has happened, lol)

"Nearly strangled" by your long hose? When your long hose should be behind your neck?

I had no issues with my long hose or anything else at the hang bar. It was quite convenient and a fun ride. Often we just waited while the boat disappeared and then reappeared magically in about the same place.

Yes, and yes.

One person's junk is another's treasure.

Personally I hated the hang bar. First few times I hung on it, nearly got my reg ripped out of my mouth and strangled by my long hose. After that, I did my safety stops under the boat near the ladder but safely away from the hang bar. Lesson learned.

Maybe the speed of the swing was greater? Although we were ripping along pretty good and you have time to prepare because obviously the swing stops at each end then slowly picks up speed to a max about midway between the endpoints. You gotta keep your face pointed towards the direction of movement just like when on a tag or anchor line otherwise sure you can lose a reg or get a freeflow.

If that long hose is a strangulation issue it should be tucked, clipped, rolled and bungeed or otherwise routed. Could be an entanglement waiting to happen. Personally I don't carry a long hose. On the off chance I'll assist an OOA diver during my scuba diving career we will make do with me donating my 30" primary for the 2-3 minutes it might take to surface rather than carrying all that extra hose that probably will never be used. I'm all for streamlining.

Maybe the speed of the swing was greater? Although we were ripping along pretty good and you have time to prepare because obviously the swing stops at each end then slowly picks up speed to a max about midway between the endpoints. You gotta keep your face pointed towards the direction of movement just like when on a tag or anchor line otherwise sure you can lose a reg or get a freeflow.

If that long hose is a strangulation issue it should be tucked, clipped, rolled and bungeed or otherwise routed. Could be an entanglement waiting to happen. Personally I don't carry a long hose. On the off chance I'll assist an OOA diver during my scuba diving career we will make do with me donating my 30" primary for the 2-3 minutes it might take to surface rather than carrying all that extra hose that probably will never be used. I'm all for streamlining.

It was particularly cold, windy and rainy during our week on the LOB.

I have analyzed my equipment shortfalls and will definitely be making some changes, including possibly/likely/maybe reverting back to a 40" (I think?) hose routed under the arm. My current bcd's gotta go as well. The more I dive it, the more I dislike it. The waist strap keeps loosening and the long hose keeps slipping out. Plus, I dive too much in current, and a loose flapping long hose in strong current sucks.

Enough about my issues LOL! Let's get back on topic! :wink:

If you were "nearly stranguled"
\
If the long hose is routed correctly it's much more streamlined than that 30" primary bowing out around your neck. I'm having a hard time imagining how it could be a strangulation issue, or why anyone would want to be anywhere near the hang bar in the first place.

why anyone would want to be anywhere near the hang bar in the first place.

The hang bar is 15' below the boat and is a convenient place to do a safety stop. While sitting on it following one dive over a reef/wall, I discovered it was more like a thrill ride than a place to hang my tank for a few minutes.

Checked my logbook the site was Belize - Quebrada. According to the dive profile I sat on the bar for 17 minutes.

[QUOTE="rongoodman, post: 8690719, member: 59139"why anyone would want to be anywhere near the hang bar in the first place.

The hang bar is 15' below the boat and is a convenient place to do a safety stop. While sitting on it following one dive over a reef/wall, I discovered it was more like a thrill ride than a place to hang my tank for a few minutes.

Checked my logbook the site was Belize - Quebrada. According to the dive profile I sat on the bar for 17 minutes.[/QUOTE]
No hour limit on dives?

Back
Top Bottom