Belize Aggressor IV - Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The hang bar is 15' below the boat and is a convenient place to do a safety stop. While sitting on it following one dive over a reef/wall, I discovered it was more like a thrill ride than a place to hang my tank for a few minutes.

Checked my logbook the site was Belize - Quebrada. According to the dive profile I sat on the bar for 17 minutes.
No hour limit on dives?[/QUOTE]

I simply meant to ask caruso how he spent 17 minutes on the bar if there were one hour dive limits. Posts seem to have gotten somewhat screwed up :)

No hour limit on dives?

That dive was 1:07. I don't recall there being a limit but I don't always listen all that well. Checking my log I had about a half a dozen dives over an hour, although not by more than a few minutes. Nobody said anything to me. I can't fathom why they'd limit the dives on a liveaboard given that they aren't on a tight schedule- I mean it's not like the boat has to return to the dock to pick up more divers or unload or whatever, and the boat stays at the same dive site for two dives and there's plenty of time before the boat relocates from the morning site to the afternoon site.

That dive was 1:07. I don't recall there being a limit but I don't always listen all that well. Checking my log I had about a half a dozen dives over an hour, although not by more than a few minutes. Nobody said anything to me. I can't fathom why they'd limit the dives given that they aren't on a tight schedule- I mean it's not like the boat has to return to the dock to pick up more divers or unload or whatever.

My recollection was the same, very relaxed, no strict time limit was enforced. People just came back when they came back.

That dive was 1:07. I don't recall there being a limit but I don't always listen all that well. Checking my log I had about a half a dozen dives over an hour, although not by more than a few minutes. Nobody said anything to me. I can't fathom why they'd limit the dives on a liveaboard given that they aren't on a tight schedule- I mean it's not like the boat has to return to the dock to pick up more divers or unload or whatever, and the boat stays at the same dive site for two dives and there's plenty of time before the boat relocates from the morning site to the afternoon site.

My recollection was the same, very relaxed, no strict time limit was enforced. People just came back when they came back.

I was on the Cayman Aggressor at the end of Nov 2018. There was a loose 1 hour dive limit in addition to a buddy rule. I was easily able to get an average dive time of 63 minutes (51-67 minutes) and not run afoul of the buddy rule. Cayman Aggressor V, November 24-December 1, 2018

Gotta say...I love the hangbar on the Belize boats...lazy Peter Pan flying over the reef :)
The hang lines off the Cayman Aggressor were similar. This was particularly true when moored over the Kittiwake, especially on the night dive. You simply timed your grab and then went on Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

There are tiny creatures on the BAIV hang bar. Look for them in the cable clamps and shackles and crevices while hanging.

As far as long dives go: if you wanna stay shallow and go for 90 minute dives it is ok, just not on the second am dive. They usually move the boat during lunch.

Almost all our dives were 70+ minutes. But if you're gonna do a really long one let the DM on deck know. he'll say "OK" or "not this time".

I can't fathom why they'd limit the dives on a liveaboard given that they aren't on a tight schedule...

Part of it I've noticed is if the dive times drag out too long and the SI's get cut too short, the deck crew has to really hump to get the tanks refilled. For the most part the SI's are scheduled long enough they don't have to be Scrooge's about dive times as long as it's not abused. All IMHO, YMMV.

I was there in Oct. There is a soft 60 min "limit". They dive a schedule so if you do a shallow 90 min dive you will be coming up when everyone else is 30 min into their SI. Then they are jumping back in 30 min later. But its not like they emergency recall everyone at 60. If you are first in/last out you can get longer dives.

I also did long safety stops if I saw other people in the water. I would stay at 10 ft for as long as I could. 5 dives a day loads a lot of N2.

A few things to bring/recommendations:
-I highly recommend EarShield. Starting using ~3 days before trip once a day and then after each meal on the dive boat.
-I start taking allergy medicine the week before a trip and take through out.
-Each day of diving I take a decongestant.
-clips for drying
-bring 3-4 suits/rash guards so you always have a dry one to change into after each dive. You want to get out of wet clothes immediately (and you need to to get in the dining area) and NOT be putting back on wet suits. You'll thank me on day 4 when you are getting chilled from repeated dives.
-yes to dive socks
-you don't need to be shooting a dSMB but I recommend a 5-6 ft SMB in case you get too far from boat. I noticed few people had a SMB. We were way out in the ocean....plan/prepare to get separated from the boat. and a whistle.
-Lionfish spear but do not really recommend because the eels and sharks there were VERY aggressive looking for hand outs.
-I brought 2 bottles of bourbon to share at night. but everyone else was lame and going to bed early. AND they had tonic on board which if I knew I would have brought gin. If you like G&Ts, buy a bottle of gin at the airport.
-they had no after night dive snacks like chips or popcorn....I was kind of dying for salty munchies. Next time I am bringing microwave popcorn.
- get a Dr prescription of emergency antibiotics for travelers diarrhea
-polarized sunglass. polarized.
-REEF SAFE sunscreen
-download a star gazing app so you can ID stars and consider bringing a nice pair of binoculars if you own a set. You are in the middle of nowhere each night with a completely dark sky. You can track the Milky Way across the entire sky. If you have never experienced this you can thank me with a bottle of Gin.

Charred is on the money as regards long dives. When we wanted to go i to the grass beds for extended times we do it as the second pm dive, and usually skip the night dive in favor of libations.

Back
Top Bottom