Belize Aggressor III - Just Got Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebuddy68

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey! Just got back yesterday from a week on the Belize Aggressor III. Went solo but meet a lot of nice people on the boat. Can't say enough good things about the crew and the boat. I missed my connection in Miami because of Amercian Airlines, but the Aggressor had a small boat bring me out to the reef when I arrived on Sunday.

The crew was great. They gave a dive briefing and then the pool was open. They had a few "rules" but trusted the divers to follow them. I had the freedom to dive where I wanted and for as long as I wanted as long as I did not go into deco. So much better then those cattle boats that make you practically hold hands with the dive guide and other divers. I was able to do 5 dives a day.

Diving was excellent by Carribean standards. If you have been to the exotic spots you know what I mean. Very healthy corals and lots of little fish. The key word being little. The biggest fish I saw were the tarpon. Did the Blue Hole. Got narc'd at 140 and didn't really like the feeling.

If you are interested in the little stuff take a dive with Chris, one of the DMs. He spots things no bigger than an inch from 10 feet away.

Besides for the lack of big stuff, I did not have a single complaint about the boat and the crew. They were very accomodating and the diving was relaxed and fun.

If you are looking to add a lot of dives to you log book in a week this is the way to do it. As I said, I did 5 a day and didn't feel rushed or tired and I was diving air.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Curious how your connections went with American Airlines. What happened there? It appears that almost every flight arrives in Belize before 3PM from what I have seen. I have been waiting to book on Nekton for 5/1 but haven't made the jump yet. Are you saying that you did not see any big fish, like spotted eagle rays, barracuda, etc? We do photography and like to know what we are getting into in a new area.
Thanks for the post!

Heck, I'd be shocked if you didn't see sharks in the Blue Hole. When I was in those waters I saw tons of turtles, rays, nurse sharks, tarpon, barracuda...

Great diving in the outer atolls around Belize, I wish we'd spent the entire time out there.

Rachel

scubajeanie:
Are you saying that you did not see any big fish, like spotted eagle rays, barracuda, etc? We do photography and like to know what we are getting into in a new area
The diving in Belize (much as Roatan) is not only excellent by Caribbean standards, but it is world class if you sharpen your eye and concentrate on the little stuff. Take your close up gear and go slow. You go there for specific things.

On the Nekton while cruising Belize, I have seen numerous nudibranchs, seahorses, toadfish, squid, pipefish, octopus, and many many juveniles that are hard to spot- if you're looking for 'big fish'.

I have also seen numerous cuda, spotted eagles and other named critters, but you can see those pretty often the more time you spend underwater. The trick is finding the hard to see stuff.

Stick with the DM and go slow.

Belize is well worth the (usually) easy air flight.

I'm not saying it was not great diving, it def was, and yes I did see a few rays, baracuda and tarpon. Also, if you read my post I recommended staying with the DM Chris on a few dives because he spots everything. He amazed everyone on the boat with his ability to find stuff.

Regarding the AA connection... that did not go to well on the way out. My flight out of Laguardia had to make an emergency landing in JFK because an engine quit. Didn't get going again for a few hours and naturally missed my connection in Miami. Spent the night at the nasty Holiday Inn Coral Gables and flew to Belize the next day. The nice people on Aggressor had a little speed boat bring me two hours out to them and did not even charge me. AA gave paid for the hotel, meals and gave me a $300 voucher. I purchased insurance and they are giving me $300 for trip delay. It could have been a lot worse... You may want to consider getting in the night before since there are so few flights to Belize.

divebuddy68:
Besides for the lack of big stuff, I did not have a single complaint about the boat and the crew. They were very accomodating and the diving was relaxed and fun.

You're right on! The Belize Aggresspr III is a great trip, and you are also correct about lack of "big stuff" I've been on her 4 times now and really enjoy the diving, but I would like to see more pelegics. May I suggest that your next Aggressor trip be on the Turks-Caicos Aggressor. It's deeper to the top of the reefs which means you can't travel down the walls as far as in Belize, but you'll definately see the bigger stuff on almost every dive.

My $.02

Barracuda2

I will be on the Belize Aggresor III starting on May 8th. Anyone else going?

dnhill

Just returned from 7 weeks in Belize and Utila. Seemed to me every time I was in town the Aggressor III was at the dock at Fort George. Did see it out at Lighthouse Reef though. Seemed to me that dive tourism in Belize was not very active considering. Interested in any observations to the contrary as I enjoyed my diving there and plan to return.

Dr. Bill

divebuddy68:
Hey! Just got back yesterday from a week on the Belize Aggressor III. Went solo but meet a lot of nice people on the boat. Can't say enough good things about the crew and the boat. I missed my connection in Miami because of Amercian Airlines, but the Aggressor had a small boat bring me out to the reef when I arrived on Sunday.

The crew was great. They gave a dive briefing and then the pool was open. They had a few "rules" but trusted the divers to follow them. I had the freedom to dive where I wanted and for as long as I wanted as long as I did not go into deco. So much better then those cattle boats that make you practically hold hands with the dive guide and other divers. I was able to do 5 dives a day.

Diving was excellent by Carribean standards. If you have been to the exotic spots you know what I mean. Very healthy corals and lots of little fish. The key word being little. The biggest fish I saw were the tarpon. Did the Blue Hole. Got narc'd at 140 and didn't really like the feeling.

If you are interested in the little stuff take a dive with Chris, one of the DMs. He spots things no bigger than an inch from 10 feet away.

If you are looking to add a lot of dives to you log book in a week this is the way to do it. As I said, I did 5 a day and didn't feel rushed or tired and I was diving air.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Did you do many night dives?

My best dives in Roatan were the night dives on the walls---saw more interesting creatures at night. Along with the sleeping fish.

I know that the fish were very lacking comparied to the Sea of Cortez. But still very interesting and lots to see if you take the time to look around.

Sounds like a great trip---I like live aboards too! Five dives a Day!

An AZ diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom