Beginning the pilot training process

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doppler

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice.

I have a few dives on SCR and CCR but never got the bug... however, it looks like it's time to start looking into this business seriously.

What I'd like are some suggestions for where to start the self-administered portion of my introduction to rebreathers.

I figured a "Simple Guide to Rebreather Diving" might be a good start. But what do you folks think?

FYI, I am an experienced open circuit diver -- mix and cave certified. Lot's of coldwater experience. Videographer.

Thanks

Doppler

Do you know anyone diving a RB? If so I would see if they can spend some time explaining the system to you. Also If you know what RB you are interested in post that info and I'm sure most of the guys could supply you with a wealth of links.

Fam courses are also offered on some models, that would be a good place to get an idea of what they are about.

The IANTD manuals are also pretty decent on general info per specific unit.

Barsky's book is definitely a good start, follow up with Bozanic's "Mastering Rebreathers", which has some of the same info, some of it in depth, as well as a look at most of the rigs out there as far as pre- and post dive checks are concerned. The Inspiration is unfortunately only mentioned a few times. But its manual can be downloaded at Ambient Pressure's website. Worth the read even if you want something else.

A fam course, or intro or try-out is a good idea in any case, go for it if you have the chance. Usually an intro lecture to RBs, and the unit itself, followed by prepping it and a pool or like dive. You experience the rig in the water, which is both fun and gives you a better idea if it's what you're looking for. That way you also get to meet the insructor, and get a feeling for him or her. Try to find one that has experience on RBs, the unit you want and the diving you plan to do. The instructors experience is what you can tab into past the text books.

Doppler,

Judging by the quote above, the fact that you are a videographer, and your extensive background, I would have to say that you are the perfect candidate for a good CCR.

I say CCR because, again judging by your background, it will not be long before you will want to be doing some mixed gas work on your unit. That does cut down the number of choices.

Having noted that, a quick survey of the field will show the following: (AND PLEASE, PARTISANS, WE WILL GET INTO THE PASSIONATE ARGUMENTS FOR AND AGAINST EACH MODEL LATER)

(1) Inspiration---PRO---Only CCR mass produced---CE rated---excellent availability of parts and service---American distributors in place---Redundant computer controlled---CON---Takes a little effort to plumb in extended range tankage

(2) Steam Machines Prism---PRO---excellent machine---American made---will do the job well---CON---Takes much longer to obtain due to delivery cycle

(3) Megalodon---PRO---Easier to attach larger tankage due to open framework design---CON---Uncertain delivery cycle

All of these will do the job for you, and are in the same effective price range. There are others, some with extremely limited production availability. Jeff Bozanic's book is an extremely good resource. A read through that will give you an excellent overview. The advice given above by Saturated, and Caveseeker7 is excellent and will definitely help you make your choice. Incidentally, I researched the subject for three years before I made my choice. It probably will not take you that long, because much more information is publicly available now.

Your statement about pilot training process is exactly the way to view it. Obviously, with your background, you will research the subject, get good equipment, and good training. If you keep the mind set of "flying the machine" it will keep you operating safely, and, really, once it becomes second-nature to do so, it's a piece of cake!

Feel free to contact me off-list, and I can answer questions you may have, or, possibly turn you on to people who have more answers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom