Beginning of my Tech Diver adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't even know why we're talking about Trimix at all -- this thread is about the TDI advanced Nitrox and deco procedures classes, so it's Nitrox only...

KISS is the key to doing well in the class -- three bottles (doubles and one deco) and three regs. You’re not going to be doing long deco, because the class is about the planning and skills required to use high percentage O2 mixes for decompression. Long deco times don’t teach you anything more*. Also short deco for a class is prudent -- if heaven forbid someone screws up and blows off their deco, a short deco obligation makes it far more likely that they won’t have a trip to the 'chamber.

So in addition to no helium in your back gas, the relatively short dives followed by short deco means that argon is unneeded -- use your back gas for dry suit inflation.

As for a computer -- unless you become a heavy duty Trimix diver -- unlikely in Colorado -- you’ll just cut tables for your dives. Your instructor-to-be sold me on the Nitek Duo (no, he’s not a dealer, I bought it from CEE earlier this year) -- two Nitrox gasses and a gauge mode for Trimix dives -- perfect for 95% or more of the diving I do. Plus the display is big enough that my more than half a century old eyes can read it just fine :). A cheap Timex Ironman makes a good backup, for a single example.

The Duo was what was on Tom’s arm when we did Eagle’s Nest in March.

And an observation about being a Colorado diver and technical diving -- when Tom and I hit cave country, we’d rather do two or three dives a day for a long time at an intermediate depth and explore nooks and crannies versus one short, deep dive where we don’t get to see much. So simple Nitrox is our friend, and the intermediate depth caves are our goal when we go to Florida.

This equation changes if you’re heading to the Great Lakes to dive the deeper wrecks, so as is always the case, figure out what you want to do, then pursue the technical training to achieve that goal.

As for me, except for the rare dive, TDI advanced Nitrox and deco procedures covers 95% of my diving (heck, PADI Nitrox covers 80% :)), and that last 5% are surgical dives that have a specific goal and frankly, don’t come close to the price (time, money, effort) to enjoyment ratio that the other 95% returns. Not to say that I didn’t enjoy those dives!

Roak

*The only thing that’s to be learned by long deco is how you handle the exposure. For this reason you work up your obligation slowly. For example racking up half an hour of deco in the Great Lakes when all you’ve done to date is 5 minutes in a spring is a very, very bad idea :).

I sure hope it is done at a warm springs and not at a cold mountain lake then.:rofl3:

More than likely the dives will be at Rock Lake in New Mexico. The water will be around 50-55 degrees.

*The only thing that’s to be learned by long deco is how you handle the exposure. For this reason you work up your obligation slowly. For example racking up half an hour of deco in the Great Lakes when all you’ve done to date is 5 minutes in a spring is a very, very bad idea :).

I gotta disagree with you here. I think the longer deco times make it "real", and all the planning means a lot more when you are running against real OC limitations. You have to be a lot more squared away to plan a long duration dive to 110fsw where lost gas strategies, approach to gas planning, or blowing a schedule can have serious implications as opposed to bouncing to 150 w/ 5-10 mins of deco. Pushing longer decos at moderate depths will force you to become a more careful planner and leave you much better prepared when you move into deeper depths and mixed gases.

I suppose that if you are really chunky with lots of natural insulation, then you would not shiver.

I hope this guy is not wirey and skinny.:eyebrow:

This just goes to show how very little you know and understand about dive related physiology........the above incorrect statement are a few of the basics touched on and encouraged for divers to follow-up on in advanced level tech courses. Lets not spread incorrect facts....do some homework.

Brrr! Then it is no wonder that the instructor mentioned a drysuit. Odd that he did not mention an argon bottle as well.

Most of us in the region are used to those dives. We make them year round. My coldest dives run into the low 40's, but usually average to around 60 degrees.

This just goes to show how very little you know and understand about dive related physiology........the above incorrect statement are a few of the basics touched on and encouraged for divers to follow-up on in advanced level tech courses. Lets not spread incorrect facts....do some homework.

Not you again? The one who cannot afford $6 for argon??:rofl3:

The Aeris Epic (I dive with this computer) can handle up to three Nitrox mixes.

I don't have plans at this point to go into deco diving, but one never knows! I'm S..L..O..W..L..Y putting together a doubles rig! It might take years! :rofl3:

An Aside, let's keep the fighting and personal insults OFF this forum, and this thread.

Back
Top Bottom