Beginning of my Tech Diver adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure that some of you have been following the John Chatterton thread, but in case you haven't, I thought you might be interested in some of his comments that relate to one of the topics in this thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3823145-post395.html

I disagree with John on some things, but on this I agree with him. I do it a little different. I have my dive plan which is on a slate and in my head. Because I do similar profiles a lot, the plan does not change too much and I rarely refer to my slate. In Truk over 16 dives between 60' and 210' I did not use my slate at all. I do not do ratio deco except for some small perturbations to my plan. For example, if I'm a couple of minutes late, I know where to put those couple of minutes in my deco. Knowing how much to allocate is a form of ratio deco. Since I am usually more conservative than my computer, this works out well. My computer is really a back up to get me out of the water as quick as I can if I have a problem.

Jerry

It may have wandered a bit but overall fit the theme about getting into to tech...
yes equipment is one change.. but so is mindset..
I appreciate all the great insight and sharing - thanks again all!

So I have completed my equipment transformation..

BP/Wing - $400
DIN Regs - $500
Non split Fins $100
Double Tanks $400
Dry Suit $1500

Been an expensive conversion. The fins & the BP/Wing are that two things I could have avoided a duplicate purchase if I had planned on this from the get go two years ago. Dry suit would have happened whether I had taken this route or not just for local diving. I probably could have saved some money there maybe.

Next up is the training. Going to start with the GUE Fundamentals class through Flat Irons Scuba. We will see where to go from there.

...Next up is the training. Going to start with the GUE Fundamentals class through Flat Irons Scuba. We will see where to go from there.

Good choice. The fundamentals class is a great way to get started no matter what agency you continue with. Let us know what you think of the class.

Good choice. The fundamentals class is a great way to get started no matter what agency you continue with. Let us know what you think of the class.

I agree. Fundies is the best way to begin a tech diving mindset. Though I am TDI trained, I found the fundies course to be really useful.

Jerry

I am sure that some of you have been following the John Chatterton thread, but in case you haven't, I thought you might be interested in some of his comments that relate to one of the topics in this thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3823145-post395.html

I know I am looking forward to Chatterton's chat from Rec to Tec next Tuesday.

Webinar with John Chatterton

Interesting that they are offering a package with Chatterton & Kohler to get Deco Procedures, Advanced Nitrox & Advanced Wreck in one week next May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom