Beginner questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy want to explore sidemount, here’s my really newbie questions…

Can I use hp100s steels?
Do you need training like TDI course or sidemount it’s self learning.
Is there a way I can reuse my halcyon backplate and just change the bladder for sidemount?
I guess hose are the same as for double except 2spg?

Thanks!
The answer to all your questions can be positive-ish.

You can use two 100 steels- or one. It is not as comfy as two Al cylinders, but doable. Actually, one steel cylinder may be sufficient for open water rec dive.

Formal training: it is not that you need to learn all the basics of scuba. You may find that the adaptation to SM is quite easy and smooth, and you can learn about gas management, sharing etc. by yourself. However, setting the gear correctly, having someone look at you and help you trim things etc. will make it easier and with more confidence.

Using back plate is the trickiest one. It is possible to use either steel, Al or plastic. Especially if you are open water diver and not going to get wedged in tight cave passages or wreck. The wing as is will get folded like Mexican tacos without the cylinder in the back- they are designed to hug the cylinder and without it they completely fold. It is not only ugly but may pose problems including difficulty to empty air. Some decades ago there were not many dedicated rigs available and divers had to diy a solution. Some ideas you can find in this very forum, many in muck diver's forums as well. My solution at the time was to use a "No STA"- no single tank adpater. Instead of STA I used a broader plate and the wing was sandwiched beyween this and the BP, could not fold. The bungee for cylinder valves is a no brainer, and you need some form of buttplate or solution to hold the cylinder.

So, the above has an advantage only if you like to diy some stuff and want to experiment or experience without committing to new bcd, etc. Is it optimal as a dedicated bcd, or
good as a permanent, long-term solution?? Nope, it isn't.

ok, here we go.....

Eyeing sidemount to start getting technical. I'm also taking a self sufficient diver course next month, and like the idea of using it for redundant gas. I spent my 20's and 30's carrying stupid heavy rucksacks for the Army, and am not interested in hiking up and down the beach with a 60lb set of tanks on my back.

A shop by my place has a sale going through the weekend on all dive gear, with some offerings from X Deep and Hollis in stock. They've got various models, and I have questions because the salesman at this place is more the "get you into the most expensive option" type of guy. The price is right though, so I'm intending to snap on this.

I've got questions though.

How much lift should I be looking at for a sidemount harness for Washington and British Columbia with a drysuit (all year)?

How much does Florida Style suck for Aluminum tanks?

At what point in tech diving will I need a setup that can carry 4 tanks as opposed to 2?

I skipped the PADI tribute for drysuit, and had a buddy show me the ropes. I am diving it pretty effectively. Can I take the same approach with side mount? Is that something I can just learn during intro to tec?

Get the Xdeep, unless maybe it's a Classic. Any form of Rec or Tec will take 4 tanks. I prefer the non-RB Tec.

My buddy want to explore sidemount, here’s my really newbie questions…

Can I use hp100s steels?
Do you need training like TDI course or sidemount it’s self learning.
Is there a way I can reuse my halcyon backplate and just change the bladder for sidemount?
I guess hose are the same as for double except 2spg?

Thanks!
I'm a sidemount instructor with extensive experience using the XDeep harness. I consider it the top choice for reliability and comfort. How can I assist you with your sidemount diving questions?
pen_spark
Open Water Sidemount Diver Courses

I don't need the complexity of the RB since I'm only ever really negative when I'm in a drysuit.
If I get into tropical tec I'm sure getting an RB wing will be the least of my costs.

Back
Top Bottom