Beginner Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all your replies to help ease concerns for us waterdogs. I will take you up on your suggestions. Eventhough we will complete our classroom and OWC in St. John, I will talk with our LDS about a class or two on just pool time with equipment for her to get comfortable.

Is there any couple out there that can share their experiences that were about to go through? That may help as well.

Again, thanks for your help and we will be utilizing this site from now on through our experiences. I hope we don't bore everyone with this, but I believe that's what this sites intended for, personal experiences and assistance with fellow divers and what you folks call us "newbies".

thanks again, eddie.

Eddie,

Always feel free to "fire away". I think I can speak for the group in that we are most willing to help. I've learned a lot from this board. Lots of experience.

Walter - your advice on how to handle sharks was great! Many things I hadn't thought of.

Also, I agree with each of you who said:

1. Don't touch anything - especially when you still consider yourself a newbie!

2. Get as much class & pool time at home - have fun on the honemoon!

Scuba-sass

Here is is one of the best sites I have found on Shark Attacks - the International Shark Attack File:

www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/ISAF/IASF.htm

The International Shark Attack File (ISAF) is a compilation of all known shark attacks that is administered by the American Elasmobranch Society and the Florida Museum of Natural History. More than 3,200 individual investigations are currently housed in the File, covering the period from the mid-1500's to present.

There is a whole section on the Relative Risk of Shark Attack injuries.

Enjoy!

Hey Waterdogs...

My first 100+ dives were all in fresh water. I do tell most everyone that my instructor just hated salt water, which is like... half of the picture. In reality, I never asked him to go. I was deathly afraid of sharks... having seen and believed "jaws" in my youth. Hey, I didn't like swimming in brackish water or going over my waist in the ocean.

Then I took a NitrOx class with a different instructor. I never did tell him of my phobia, I just steeled myself to do it. My first dive in the ocean was down to 80ft off of Boyton Beach. My instructor asked if I was “OK”, as I got ready for the plunge, I think he saw it in my eyes... I gave the “O” and took a step. Then I gave the big “O” and slipped beneath the surface, where I did my first 360-degree scan for sharks. Not sure how many scans I did that dive... but they stopped when I saw my first nurse shark. It was very docile and on the bottom. Cool!

During the surface interval, the fact that this was my first salt water and boat dive came out. He was stunned! I was a dive master making his first ocean dive, and he just couldn't believe it. And they all laughed when I told him I was worried about sharks as well. I didn't think it was funny, in fact I was somewhat humiliated. I wasn't a wimp either... hey, I swim with gators quite consistently.

The second dive brought a thrill and a sight I will never forget. A hammerhead cruising the reef... it was far larger than me. It was so graceful as it flew over the sponges, and was sooo, sooooo disinterested in me that I was cured on the spot (well almost). You see, it was then I fully realized that I wasn't the "featured special" on his menu. As huge as he was, he was looking for "bite sized" nuggets and did not want to hassle with me. Wow... now sharks are really cool... heck I even found myself swimming over my head in the Gulf (w/o SCUBA) even though I KNOW that most shark attacks occur near or in the surf where the vis is nil, and they make mistakes about what’s on the menu and what’s not. Yeah, I heard the theme to jaws a couple of times, but I did all right.

Waterdogs,
Welcome -to you and the future Mrs Waterdogs- to the Board, from NJ.

As many of the others have said-"fire away". The folks on this board have lots of experience , and are very willing to share it, and their opinions, on any scuba related topic( and many non-related topics as well.)

As I have read through the replies - I agree with the advice already given-especially those about getting as much in-water(pool) experience as possible before your trip. Comfort u/w is a very big part of enjoying the scuba experience. Also, reading up on the topics of concern will be helpful.
Two additional in-water tips: first -While "touch nothing" is the best idea, invest in a pair of warm water gloves-just in case a stray hand brushes into something (this will also cover the bright shiny rings. :)
Also, on the dives, watch your buoyancy. While this applies to all divers-it is important to be aware lest you bump into the bottom (shallow dive,of course)-or any critters that may be resting there.

Additionally, when you get to the shop in St. John, let the instructors/DM's know of your concerns. If they are at all"worth their salt", they will have ways of calming the uncertainties, and will appreciate your openess. They will also be more aware of your situation, and will have a better chance to give you the type of attention you deserve.

Also, I think your idea of the Dive gear for the honeymoon is great! One thing to remember- you and your wife will have a lifetime to dive together- if she is reluctant at first-be patient, and let her progress at her own pace. The trip in question is a beginning-not a final destination.

In any event, relax and enjoy the diving,and best of luck for a long,happy and healthy life together.

MikeD

Hi Waterdogs,
listen to Walter & your instructor when they discuss marine life & you will have nothing to fear. just remember to respect the environment.
you & your new wife will have an incredible experience diving in the Caribbean. I think that the key is to relax, be comfortable, & enjoy it. diving is one of the most rewarding activities I have ever done. I can't wait until my next dive...& I'm the one who was NEVER going to do "that". our dive shop is planning a weekend trip to Morehead City, NC in March. I'm looking forward to getting back into the water (we live in Ohio, it's WAY too cold for me right now).
enjoy the experience! have a great life together.

just wanted to say thanks for all the post our "new divers" experience for my future wife. After weeks of hesitation, and a little adaptation by me from your comments, we have signed up for our OWC and classes here in North Carolina. As in my first post, we were scheduled to do all portions of the OWC/Classes in St.John in July, we'll i scraped that idea from your comments on first getting her comfortable here in the pool and to complete our OWC in Fla Springs (freshwater) before ever hitting the ocean and dive boats. I also hired a personal instructor for our classes so that she receives the utmost personal attention as we move through this. Since I put her into this, (she did make the final decision to do it, i did not push) I wanted her to be as comfortable as possible, I believe this will assist as well.

As far as her initial fears of "whats in the water", classes, experience and a few easy dives our first time out in St. John should help, i hope.

Again, thanks for all your post for support. We'll keep you posted.

Waterdogs.

Wow, not only your willingness to alter your plans about where and when to do OWC, but to hire a personal instructor. That's really great!

I was recently reminded of something, so I thought I'd share it...

Last March, before we ever thought about SCUBA, my partner and I vacationed in Jamaica. We have both always loved the water, but grew up in up-state NY, so spent most of the time in lakes. Murky, but no sharks or jellies, just maybe a snapping turtle or two. :) The first day at Jamaica, I waded right into the water, and then saw "Something Scary" under water. Understand - this was just an impression, a wavery shape, and an unconcious thought. I didn't exactly run out of the water, but I didn't spend long in. Until the next day, when we used snorkle and fins. Cool, those scary shapes are just rocks, coral and fishies! Great fun, spent lots of time in the water after that, but we never had the opportunity to go far from the beach.

Jump forward to October. Took OW in Connecticut, did cert dives in the lakes, because ocean was too rough for the junior divers in our group.

Jump forward again to December. Caribbean vacation, four 2-tank boat dives planned. The first one, gathered the gear, got in the boat, road to site, geared up, fell in, Had A Ball!!!!! Never even thought about the possibility of scary critters, because I had too much else to concentrate on. The SCUBA training was ingrained, and I had to assemble my own gear, check my buddy's, concentrate on doing everything right.

My point is - the pool was "safe". There was a lot of SCUBA stuff to worry about, but nothing in the water was going to eat me, so I didn't think about it. By the time I got to the ocean, I was used to thinking about SCUBA preparation, and didn't have time to get scared. Once in the water, I could see we were in a very safe area. Now, I'm not about to go out and do a shark-feeding dive tomorrow, but the more comfortable I get, the less scared I am about what I might encounter out there.

Good Luck to both of you, and Happy Diving!

Scuba-sass :)

My SO & I were in Belize in November, and on one dive had a single guy join us. Turned out he was there, because he just got married (in Belize), and he and his new wife planned to scuba through their honeymoon. As I recall, both certified before going to Belize.

Anyhow, their first Belize dive, something happened to her, and she became very nervous, refusing to dive again. It had to do with rough waters and her problems getting onto the boat, which apparently led to a panic attack.

I felt sorry for them both. Word to the wise: be prepared should something like this happen to you. Have a Plan B, even if you certify before you leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom