Beginner Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdogs

Reaction score
Didn't say I was the smartest dog in the water but here's my dilema: For our honeymoon in July my future wife and i are going to St.John VI for 10 days. So the bright idea i had for christmas for us was scuba gear and OWC in St.John. Hence problem, althought my future wife is outgoing she's never dove before, only snorkled with me last year, and i've only taken numerous resort courses in the islands. She's not scared of the water, she's scared of what's IN THE WATER (i.e.sharks, barracudas', etc). I know this sounds silly, but how do i ease her concerns. I know we will go through some of this in OWC class, but i need to get her in the correct frame of mind now before we even go down there.

Has anyone been through this before, and if so, any suggestions to ease her concerns.

Also, did i do something incredibly dumb by doing this?

waterdogs.

Hello,

These are common concerns with people. These are have easy remedy's depending upon the person.

For nasties like sharks there are numerous studies on why sharks attack and the like. In short sharks typicaly won't attack something with a regulator unless provoked. i.e. you harass the shark.

Baracuda can be a rather nasty opponent if you are spear fishing, have shiny objects or smell of dead fish. :)

Practicaly any animal under water can turn hostile under the correct conditions. Just keep in mind that we are visitors and don't harass the natives! :)

One good place is the discovery channel durring 'shark week!' they attempt to dispell numerous myths about sharks.

WE commonly tell people durring our dolphin encounters that if you see a pod of dolphins then you have some assurances no nasties will be in the area. I have seen dolphins ram sharks in attempts to run them off. I have seen scars on dolphins from shark encounters as well.

Guess this would be a good time to bring up the small things. It's not the large things you need to be concerned with (sharks tend to leave the area unless your feeding them) but those small brightly colored creatures. Some are harmless and some will do some serious damage. The key here is to look but don't touch. If it looks dangerous then don't touch it! :wink: If you have a marine biologist with you on the trip to explain things it will make these encounters more memorial and highly informative.

As with hydrophobic people the key is get their attention diverted to something pleasurable. i.e. that coral head, that corraline algae formation, those fish schools, practicaly anything to take their mind off those issues.

Hope this helps.

Ed

thanks, i covered that in the classroom portion for our OWC and she will to once she goes through it. I believe she will do fine with the info it's just the mind set of it.

I wanted us to do this because what better sport to have your companion participate in than scubadiving. You rely on your buddy (spouse) in a team (buddy) system with trust.

Thanks for your help, again i know this whole thing sounds silly but i had to get some advice. I will try to look at some LDS for a pre-cert class, just getting her in the pool with equipment, before we go down for our OWC, that may help.

eddie.

Hello,

It is not silly. I have worked with hydrophobic people in the water and I can honestly state this is not silly. The only silly question is the quesiton NOT ask :wink: Well that's my motto and i'm sticking to it.

Ed

I was a little leary of seeing sharks in the water at first. My instructor assured me that all the ideas I had about sharks were the result of TV and movies.
When I did encounter sharks in the water (my 3rd dive) it wasn't scary at all. It was just awesome. Since then I keep going back to photograph them.
One thing that helps me convince freinds and family Is that I have several pictures of sharks I have taken from about 6 ft away. I have a picture of a 4 ft barracuda taken from about 3 ft away.
I am still here to talk about it, and have all my body parts, with no scars (from sealife encounters)
A rule I used early on was, I don't know what can hurt me and what can't so I won't touch anything. Also, I don't approach sharks or barracuda. I let them come to me.
My wife is still leary about diving with sharks, but she will do the dive. On our last trip she got her first shark pictures. :)

Sounds like a great Trip/honeymoon

If you'd like to show her my pics click on www below this post.

I also had the same fears when I began diving a year ago. my adivce would be to take your open water course at home & spend as much time in the water as possible to get comfortable. my instructors were very patient with me & spent time explaining all the possible hazards & how to cope with them. information is the key. I did my certification dives in a fresh water quarry before attempting an ocean dive. probably one of the smartest things I did. I was comfortable enough with my abilities, that I knew I could relax & enjoy my dives. I was not interested in seeing any sharks on my dives...but, once I did (they stayed a good distance away) I felt much better. we took a dive trip to Morehead City, NC this past Oct. there were sand tigers swimming around every wreck we dove. I was so intent on the wrecks that I missed seeing them on every dive...until the last day. while hanging at 15' we were surrounded with a school of baraccuda. then I looked down & saw a big grey body swim under us (it was at least 30' away). it wasn't until we were back on the boat that I learned it was a bull shark. it never made any threatening moves toward us...in fact it acted like we weren't even there. it was awesome! good luck & good diving!

The chances of her seeing a shark are remote. Chances of seeing barracuda are excellent.

"Baracuda can be a rather nasty opponent if you are spear fishing, have shiny objects or smell of dead fish."

That's simply not true. I always wear a very shiny sliver pendant, It does not attact barracuda, the smell of dead fish has no affect on them either. If you are spearfishing they will sometimes (rarely) go after your fish, but never after you. The best way to avoid even that is to be aware of your surroundings and if you see barracuda following, simply turn and swim directly toward it. It will turn and swim away. Barracuda will rarely let you get closer than about 3 ft. There is nothing to fear from barracuda unless you are feeding fish, then you could lose a finger when it goes for the fish.

The chances of any shark you see becoming aggressive toward you are slim, but it is possible. Knowing how to react in that unlikely event can reduce your fears. If a shark becomes aggressive, keep an eye on it as you swim underwater back to the boat. Present a confident image. Do not swim quickly, but instead remain calm and graceful. Do not swim with your hands, keep them to your sides or clasped in front of you. This is not the time to be flapping them around. If the shark gets too close, get back to back with your buddy. Growling will often cause the shark to leave. Take off your BC and hold your tank in front of you. If he comes in for a taste, let him bite metal. Exit the water quickly, dropping your BC if necessary. You can always fish it out with a boat hook.

"If it looks dangerous then don't touch it!"

Unfortunately, most of the dangerous things we encounter don't look dangerous.

Bristle worms look like furry caterpillars, are nocturnal and have a terrible sting. They have nematocysts all along their bodies that sting. The sting itself isn't particularly painful, but the results can be life threatening.

Once I was taking students on a tour of Davis Reef. I was showing them a spotted moray and was watching the students & moray very carefully, but didn't see the bristle worm. I brushed against it & got a sting on my right forearm. Not a big deal, I continued the tour. When we arrived at the far end of the reef, I noticed a pain under my left arm. Figuring this was not a good sign and knowing I had not trained any of these students myself, I did not know if they would be able to help me if I needed it. I gathered my charges and started toward the boat. About half way back, the pain had moved to the center of my chest and I was having difficulty breathing. I herded everyone back to the boat and climbed out of the water. I took an Actifed and upon reaching shore, I cancelled my participation in the afternoon trip and went to bed. I got up the next evening, having slept until then. A mark remained on my arm for almost a year following the encounter.

I fear bristle worms more than any other sea creature.

Don't touch anything unless 1)you can positively identify it. 2) you know for a fact touching it can't hurt you. 3) you know for a fact touching it can't hurt it.

A good rule to follow is don't touch anything. If it looks dangerous it usually isn't (barracuda). If it looks cute it might be dangerous (bristle worm). If it doesn't appear to fear you, maybe you should fear it (scorpionfish).

A good course will cover all of this and more in greater detail.

One suggestion I'd make is to take the class at home. You don't want to spend your honeymoon studying, you should be having fun! The other reason is you don't want to be rushed to get it all finished in the short time you have, take your time and do it right.

Good luck in your life together.

Walter

Walter,

I know people who have been attacked by cuda because they had shiny objects. I know people who have been hit in the head for no obvious reason at all (no harassment, feeding or the like) I also know spearfishers who have been attacked because they had dead fish on them. I myself have had a few close encounters.

As I have stated before baracuda can be a very formabile enemy while underwater and deserve some respect.

That was not a typical bristle worm by far. The traditional bristle worm is non-toxic but can be painful on contact. In the same family is several worms that can do the damage you spoke of. Common names are various like fire worms.

Classic bristle worm -> http://www.atlantisaquatic.com/images/bristles1263.jpg

Fire worm -> http://www.atlantisaquatic.com/images/bristleworm0476.jpg

Ed

Tell your wife she has about as much chance of being attacked by a marine animal a she does getting hit by lightning. There are plenty of mind settling studies to back this up.

Dive Safe………………..Arduous

I think Roooter nailed this one. The more comfortable she is in the water beforehand, the less stressed she'll be upon encountering the "danger" fish.

My suggestion would be to do your open water work where you live, get some diving in at a local lake, or quarry or ? and then go have FUN on your honeymoon! Even if you can't get into a lake, do a lot of pool diving just to get into the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom