Before you take your open water course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few people requested via PM that I post some sort of curriculum vitae or resume. I have kept myself anonymous, but included a biography on the page. The swimming and snorkeling articles have also been expanded.

A few people requested via PM that I post some sort of curriculum vitae or resume. I have kept myself anonymous, but included a biography on the page. The swimming and snorkeling articles have also been expanded.
I think it's only fair that these people also identify themselves and send you their c.v. to post on your website as well.

I think it's only fair that these people also identify themselves and send you their c.v. to post on your website as well.

Nude, I really do enjoy the way you think. Someday it would be nice to dive with you. :cool2:

Thanks for reposting the site, even if does not contain all the same info the first one did. I have been following this thread with interest but joined in too late to read the first website.
That said, and at the risk of opening myself up to a lot of criticism, I think that if I had seen your website before I tried scuba lessons, I would not be a diver today. The idea of having to measure up to those swimming and snorkeling skills is very intimidating to a newbie. No doubt there would be fewer course drop-outs in classes that only accepted students of this caliber; however that does not mean that students who don't meet these prerequisites cannot succeed with the right help and encouragement, and I am one of these.
I struggled with the mask-clearing skills and needed lots of extra time and patience from an experienced instructor to get me through that. And I barely met the swimming requirements when I first started. I am in better shape physically now than when I started lessons, and part of my motivation to improve my physical fitness was for diving.
I agree with the recommendations regarding fitness levels for the most part but I think the swimming and snorkelings discussion could be worded more as a goal of where, and include mention of help available from an experienced instructor, as well as the importance of motivation and practice.

Now with the swimming skills. I think if people learned those skills it would make them more comfortable in the water. I don't think they are necessary for diving but are really handy skills to have for comfort in the water and also general fitness. When I did Rescue class we had to do a few of them - underwater 25m swim and tow a diver 50m (we did this multiple times). Most people (we had a fair mix of age and fitness) managed after a few goes so it isn't beyond most people's abilities in my opinion. Another thing we had to do was tread water for 5mins holding 6lb out of the water. Not sure what the purpose was behind that one though. Swim was 300m any stroke, untimed. I think most people could have handled another 4 laps....

Bold added...

That particular drill is another remnant of the military mindset; keeping your rifle out of the water while you swim or get swept toward the beach. It'll probably work for the M16 but it's a little light for the M14.

I'm not arguing that potential divers shouldn't be required to swim but perhaps the qualification could be made relevant. Maybe a backstroke on the surface wearing full scuba equipment? Or maybe swimming underwater using full scuba equipment. How about a surface swim with mask, snorkel and fins. Oh wait, PADI does allow that. True, it's 300m rather than 200m but at least it is somewhat related to diving.

A surface swim with no gear, in a pool, just isn't relevant. It's being used as a filter. And the longer the swim, the shorter the time, the less porous the filter.

Strengthening the swimming test to filter out candidates in an attempt to reduce turnover seems questionable. Who cares about the turnover rate? People come, people go, some stay longer than others.

Richard

I kind of like the site after a brief read. I didn't notice anything saying that any particular distance is "required", just recommended. Even with the recommendations, the important part that I saw was the "How to get there from here" section. It's fine and dandy to say you should be at some arbitrary level before progressing with a task, but it is another thing entirely to show somebody how to get there. Good job.

One suggestion that I have is to find a different video to link to for the underwater swim. The video you've selected looks very frantic to me. I think it would be better for students to learn to do a slow, controlled and relaxed underwater swim for 20m rather than a frantic ohmygoshiamrunningoutofair dash to 25m.

I wish I had videoed a student that was doing her underwater swim for our entrance swim test a few nights ago. After her power stroke, her glide was almost a full 2 body lengths.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that primarily, the underwater swim is a mental thing. Your body is accustomed to breathing regularly. Holding your breath for long periods isn't natural and your brain is constantly telling you to take a breath. Bending those mental barriers goes a long way to increasing your breath hold times.

Bold added...

That particular drill is another remnant of the military mindset; keeping your rifle out of the water while you swim or get swept toward the beach. It'll probably work for the M16 but it's a little light for the M14.

I'm not arguing that potential divers shouldn't be required to swim but perhaps the qualification could be made relevant. Maybe a backstroke on the surface wearing full scuba equipment? Or maybe swimming underwater using full scuba equipment. How about a surface swim with mask, snorkel and fins. Oh wait, PADI does allow that. True, it's 300m rather than 200m but at least it is somewhat related to diving.

A surface swim with no gear, in a pool, just isn't relevant. It's being used as a filter. And the longer the swim, the shorter the time, the less porous the filter.

Strengthening the swimming test to filter out candidates in an attempt to reduce turnover seems questionable. Who cares about the turnover rate? People come, people go, some stay longer than others.

Richard
You miss the point, swim tests are not there because swimming is an integral part of scuba diving, what is being tested is comfort in the water and hence the ability to learn a new set of aquatic skills. NAUI's fifteen cycle requirement exists because when we were putting the standards together I said something on the order of, "if you can't tell how comfortable a person is in a dozen, or so, strokes you're in the wrong business." That made sense and we went with it. Requiring a longer or more arduous swim test only speaks to each agency's view concerning the perspicacity and sagacity of its instructors.:D

i dont want to be a prude or anything. but according to your profile on SB (which could be updated) Padi AOW????
I would refuse to create a page for new divers to read... when im also new.

That being said.. I totally agree with boulder.. great response!

If i was to say anything to any new diver it would be.. relax, check air and watch bouyancy and have fun, the certified instructor will let them know what to do next.

if you're that hardcore into it, i would suggest further training and gue, but if you're not even an instructor.. you really shouldnt be spouting ideas to new divers...

i dont want to be a prude or anything. but according to your profile on SB (which could be updated) Padi AOW????
I would refuse to create a page for new divers to read... when im also new.

That being said.. I totally agree with boulder.. great response!

If i was to say anything to any new diver it would be.. relax, check air and watch bouyancy and have fun, the certified instructor will let them know what to do next.

if you're that hardcore into it, i would suggest further training and gue, but if you're not even an instructor.. you really shouldnt be spouting ideas to new divers...

I am not teaching people to dive, that's what certified instructors are for. I am an English teacher though, and I can definitely help you with your problems in that regard. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom