Before you take your open water course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, since you have posted a real comment, I will post a real response. I am a divemaster in training. I do it for free, I don't take tips, and the shop I work at I work at for free. I just do it because I love to teach, and for no other reason. I would never turn someone away from the sport of diving. The shop passes everyone who meets the standards, as any shop should. If you meet the standards, you get the card. That pretty much holds true in college, the military, medical training, etc. I am not saying people should not get certified to dive if they meet the standards of any recreational scuba course.

The site isn't meant to hold you to some standard. It is there if you want to maybe get a little better at swimming, or maybe learn a little more about snorkeling. I don't even have any advice posted on the actual techniques of SCUBA diving at this time. If you like it, read it. If you do not, then go surf somewhere else.

You act like I am forcing this on people. Don't you think I would get fired if I told people at a dive shop that I am employed at that they should not dive when they can meet all the entrance requirements? You better not tell that 12 year old boy we showed how to dive a few weeks ago that I let him slide without swimming 500 meters....

See now, that's something i can agree with.
so i apologize for a lot of what was said..

except for one thing.. you like to teach, but a DM doesnt mean you can teach.
you still have to take the instructor course for PADI.

It makes sense to have some guidelines, but the PADI ones are good enough..

When I look for new certs, i look to see what other certifications the instructor has, in my case my instructor is PADI and also GUE, and to pass gue... you need to use your WHOLE brain..

Ok seriously. Read my post above yours. I follow the rules of the shop. You are lucky that I don't make you follow the rules of the English language, you definitely would not pass that course. :rofl3:

We've been posting too fast, i made that post after the aussie didnt get it.

See now, that's something i can agree with.
so i apologize for a lot of what was said..

except for one thing.. you like to teach, but a DM doesnt mean you can teach.
you still have to take the instructor course for PADI.

It makes sense to have some guidelines, but the PADI ones are good enough..

When I look for new certs, i look to see what other certifications the instructor has, in my case my instructor is PADI and also GUE, and to pass gue... you need to use your WHOLE brain..

This is from NAUI's website:

"An active-status NAUI Divemaster is qualified to assist an active-status NAUI Instructor in diving courses."

I am not on active status yet, so all I do is help out under direct supervision of my boss. You have to remember that different agencies have different standards. Don't feel bad, I'm still wrong a lot too because I don't know all the different standards.

holy jeez, are you guys even reading the entire responses or just quickly summarizing?
It only requires half a brain. I'm using the other have to compose my reply to your next post, while waiting for you to post it.

i'll put it out in engrish

He works at a dive shop

new divers walk into the shop

he gives them website

he's not in any position to instruct divers on being able to prepare yourself for diving

customer takes it the other way

customer doesnt take course

dive shop loses money

I dont care if you put this stuff up on a website... I just hope you're not sending potential customers to the site as A: it's not a PADI guideline B: you're not an instructor
Slonda has said absolutely nothing to suggest he is in any way involved in the scenario you pose above. It's pure speculation on your part - and unwarranted speculation at that.

Exactly.
Same type deal for DM for Padi, you can watch.. but that's about it.
I just assumed that you were without a great deal of knowledge because of your profile.

so i apologize :)

Exactly.
Same type deal for DM for Padi, you can watch.. but that's about it.
I just assumed that you were without a great deal of knowledge because of your profile.

so i apologize :)

Apology accepted. Maybe you can write up some tips about using a dry suit sometime, based upon your experience, and I can throw them up on my site. I never really use a dry suit down south here, so some experienced information from a cold water diver could be useful to a lot of people. That's the beauty of this man, it's all about sharing information, and letting the reader decide if they want it.

When i learn to use my dry suit.. i'll hit you up.

inflate, trim, lift arm up.. that's pretty much it :)

but at the same time, you could see where it might scare off some divers... where it might be taken as a pre-requisit for certification.. I still get people calling about 56k modems... :)

When i learn to use my dry suit.. i'll hit you up.

inflate, trim, lift arm up.. that's pretty much it :)

but at the same time, you could see where it might scare off some divers... where it might be taken as a pre-requisit for certification.. I still get people calling about 56k modems... :)

You are absolutely correct, it might scare off some divers. After some very experienced divers on this board mentioned that to me, I posted this on the main page:

Disclaimer

While this page is based upon tenets explained in some very respectable books, such as The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving and Basic Scuba, it is based primarily on the author's opinions. The author of this site is not a scuba instructor. The information provided is free of charge, and is intended for the diver or potential diver as a way (and not the only way) to improve upon previously acquired skills or to build new ones. The exercises presented on these pages are more difficult than what is typically found in a recreational open water course. This page does not represent the diving community as a whole.

ok.. im going to swear here.

how the **** did i miss that?

must've looked at it while there was the 40 techs on hold :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom