Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And that why you carry a spare mask.
The class tells you to carry a spare mask.

Perhaps easier in fresh water than salt? Not really a broken mask strap, perhaps a lost mask?
Yes I meant to say a mask lost due to a broken strap.

Probably not so fun in salt water :D

No stingy stuff definitely makes it easier.

We also got tied up to simulate entanglement and our fins were even taken (at separate times). I just wallow about without them! :rofl3:

Lots of gear malfunction drills. It was kind of fun, wondering what instructor was going to do next. Butt clip on both my tanks was even undone.

It was a SM weekend! I did SM with my LP50s. Got my second pair this weekend, BTW. DM assigned to watch me was also SMing 50s. Gal my age. Instructor was SM, as was the other student. The odd man out was the other DM who was in BM doubles. There were originally supposed to be five students total. Don’t know what happened to the other three, but smaller classes are always nicer.
I thought my class in Jupiter, FL was quite good. I did the no mask swim in salt water, it was not as bad as I would have thought.

@Marie13 class sounds very complete. We did one fin swims but were never tied up, I guess SM can be an abbreviation for more than sidemount :)

I thought my class in Jupiter, FL was quite good. I did the no mask swim in salt water, it was not at bad as I would have thought.

@Marie13 class sounds very complete. We did one fin swims but were never tied up, I guess SM can be an abbreviation for more than sidemount :)
:shakehead:
:rofl3:

With only one fin, do you do dolphin kicks ?

Yes.

But try without ANY fins on! I don’t know how it would be single tank with a pony, but with small steel tanks SM, I didn’t move at all! Can imagine it would be as bad with BM doubles.

About class being very complete - instructor is tech trained, including cave, and also does the Great Lakes. That really informed what he teaches.

Yes.

But try without ANY fins on! I don’t know how it would be single tank with a pony, but with small steel tanks SM, I didn’t move at all! Can imagine it would be as bad with BM doubles.

About class being very complete - instructor is tech trained, including cave, and also does the Great Lakes. That really informed what he teaches.
How do you do it without any fins at all ? Surface and just swim normally or call for help ?

I think I would have crawled/walked on the bottom out of the training lake if I had enough air :D

How do you do it without any fins at all ? Surface and just swim normally or call for help ?

I think I would have crawled out of the lake if I had enough air :D

I’m not sure. I think it was more an exercise to show us what trying to swim with no fins would be like. It was a good thing we were on platforms at the quarry. We would have mucked up the bottom something awful! :D

For my solo class, which I did in salt water, the no mask swim wasn't horrible, as I could keep my eyes closed. For AN/Helitrox you actually have to open your eyes and swim to the instructor, that sucked in the stingy eye water. The no mask line drill for cavern and cave was pretty easy, as I could keep my eyes closed, it was fresh water, and the line made it easy to know where you were going.

They never took away any of my fins for a one fin swim, even in cave.

I found it easier, for an extended time, to flutter, putting all the force into the leg with the fin. You move along steadily, albeit, slowly.

No stingy stuff definitely makes it easier.

We also got tied up to simulate entanglement and our fins were even taken (at separate times). I just wallow about without them! :rofl3:

Lots of gear malfunction drills. It was kind of fun, wondering what instructor was going to do next. Butt clip on both my tanks was even undone.

It was a SM weekend! I did SM with my LP50s. Got my second pair this weekend, BTW. DM assigned to watch me was also SMing 50s. Gal my age. Instructor was SM, as was the other student. The odd man out was the other DM who was in BM doubles. There were originally supposed to be five students total. Don’t know what happened to the other three, but smaller classes are always nicer.

I was SM for my solo as well had to do left and right as well as double tank pivots, broken tank strap carry as well as the other skills; definitely a good reminder of skills to maintain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom