Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Florida weather....... November through February other than that WAY, WAY, WAY to hot and humid. .........I'm getting better with regular laps in the pool now that its reopen.

Florida weather in the summer is brutal. Hot and humid and very predictable. I stopped looking at the forecast. Where I am, low 90's with a chance of late afternoon showers (usually brief). Before my wife and I moved down here we visited a few times; Once in August to experience the heat. A full time resident told us that living down here is no different than living up north. Up north there are three months you don't go outside. They call it winter. Down here, there are three months you don't go outside. The residents call it summer. Take your pick. You can get used to the heat and humidity -- I did.

Oh, did I mention swimming in the pool year round. The pools where I live are heated to 82 degF. I do laps too and I remember a few days when it was in the high 40's I went swimming to get my laps. Needless to say, I had the pool to myself. There was steam coming off the water. I felt like I was swimming in the river Styx. Swimming freestyle, the top half of you is cold while the bottom half is warm -- a weird feeling. I did a three tank drift dive off of Jupiter a few weeks ago and the water temperature was a balmy 86 degF. It's nice diving in just a skin.

Title says it all. I've been diving all over the Midwest this summer. Did the Straits in late July as a last hurrah with a friend before I started my new job (laid off in late March due to the stupid plague, new job is permanent work from home). Drove 1000 miles roundtrip in 48 hours for two dives. Sandusky (85ft) and Eber Ward bow (106ft). Second day of diving was cancelled due to bad t'storms. Nice drive home through the UP and WI.

Doubles are broken up. My knees couldn't take the weight anymore. Back to SM. Working out much better this time than when I originally tried it two years ago Got a pair of LP50s a couple of weeks ago after a friend about my age was diving them at a Midwest quarry. Love them. Found a shop near me that will overfill them nicely.

Got plenty of diving plans in the works, but that's my business.

View attachment 612313

I am so very happy to read your thread. I am glad you are employed again and diving in a setup that suits you better. Keep in touch. Whenever you are diving a quarry in Ohio, PM me.

cheers,
markm

Florida weather in the summer is brutal. Hot and humid and very predictable. I stopped looking at the forecast. Where I am, low 90's with a chance of late afternoon showers (usually brief). Before my wife and I moved down here we visited a few times; Once in August to experience the heat. A full time resident told us that living down here is no different than living up north. Up north there are three months you don't go outside. They call it winter. Down here, there are three months you don't go outside. The residents call it summer. Take your pick. You can get used to the heat and humidity -- I did.

Oh, did I mention swimming in the pool year round. The pools where I live are heated to 82 degF. I do laps too and I remember a few days when it was in the high 40's I went swimming to get my laps. Needless to say, I had the pool to myself. There was steam coming off the water. I felt like I was swimming in the river Styx. Swimming freestyle, the top half of you is cold while the bottom half is warm -- a weird feeling. I did a three tank drift dive off of Jupiter a few weeks ago and the water temperature was a balmy 86 degF. It's nice diving in just a skin.
Couldn't agree more. A freind in the band I play in in NY each summer said NY summers are worse than S. Fla. summers. WRONG. Though NY is no picnic with the occasional 100F and those "temp. inversions" where elderly & others are advised to stay inside.

Don't go outside in the winter, says who. I used to do back country skiing and snow shoeing in the winter, now I just dive (drysuits are nice).

My best friend lives in Florida I visited him one summer for a couple months and almost died.

I think heat is more dangerous than cold, i can always add another layer but I can only take off so much, plus I'm prone to dehydration.

From what I understand the dive conditions for me and @Marie13 are very similar except she dives fresh water and I usually am in the Atlantic.
But VIS here we call pretty good at 10ft on very rare occasions we might see 40 or 50 on a boat location but its very rare and the water is cold shallow dives around 70 in the summer if you go deep even in the summer its cold and of course in the winter water temp goes to low 30's shallow. I've seen non sealed regs freeze on deep summer dives because the water is below 50.

The biggest issue diving i have here is on the surface in summer. You gear up for the cold water and the air temp is 90 so your cooking until you splash.

Here on the Great Lakes, you can easily have 40-50ft viz. Often more very early in the season.

In the quarries/inland lakes, getting temps below 50 even in the height of summer at depth (below 60ft or so) is common.

The quarries/inland lakes are often lower viz. 20ft might be exceptional, but Gilboa Quarry in OH is known far and wide for great viz. I’ve had 70ft viz there in the late fall. The locals consider 35ft bad, but I’m used to much less, so I consider that great.

Yeah, hate cooking on the surface in the summer.

Here on the Great Lakes, you can easily have 40-50ft viz. Often more very early in the season.

In the quarries/inland lakes, getting temps below 50 even in the height of summer at depth (below 60ft or so) is common.

The quarries/inland lakes are often lower viz. 20ft might be exceptional, but Gilboa Quarry in OH is known far and wide for great viz. I’ve had 70ft viz there in the late fall. The locals consider 35ft bad, but I’m used to much less, so I consider that great.

Yeah, hate cooking on the surface in the summer.

I think I'm about medium rare in the summer till I dunk myself.

Define "up North". Assume you don't mean the 3 winter months you don't go outside in Northern Canada at -30 or -40F....Places like NY or Nova Scotia winter is a picnic.

I think heat is more dangerous than cold, i can always add another layer but I can only take off so much, plus I'm prone to dehydration.

Heat doesn't ice or snow you in your home for a week.

Oh, did I mention swimming in the pool year round. The pools where I live are heated to 82 degF.

They aren't just heated, during the summer they are cooled to a similar temperature so the lap swimmers don't overheat.

I actually only learned this when I did my confined water classes, the instructor was told to turn off the chillers before he left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom