Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question about BM vs SM and how it is better for your knees? Weight is weight so as long as you are carrying that weight above your knees, your knees see the same amount of weight? I've seen this come up several time in SM discussions and I don't get it but I do understand it places the weight differently but it is still weight above the knees.

Currently I’m quarry/lake diving with walk in entrances. I put my SM tanks on in the water. I’m not walking distances with doubles on my back. The 50s are light enough I can actually walk them out of the water after the second dive with tanks clipped to me. If I don’t want to carry my HP80s to the water, I roll them in a cart. My knees are much happier now. They used to hurt just from walking my doubles around at the quarry.

I see a number of older folks who use SM for quarry diving and they always roll their tanks down to the water.

Currently I’m quarry/lake diving with walk in entrances. I put my SM tanks on in the water. I’m not walking distances with doubles on my back. The 50s are light enough I can actually walk them out of the water after the second dive with tanks clipped to me. If I don’t want to carry my HP80s to the water, I roll them in a cart. My knees are much happier now. They used to hurt just from walking my doubles around at the quarry.

I see a number of older folks who use SM for quarry diving and they always roll their tanks down to the water.

Ok I see that makes sense. I was just thinking if your are just moving that same weight around it is still the same weight. SM has allowed you to change how you approach your diving and make it more comfortable. I have asked these type of questions before and don't get a response as to why you changed or why it's better for you just that somebody told you it was better. Different tools for different jobs. Thanks for explanation.

Fortunate of you. Down here everything is closed. We cannot move, even from our neighbourhood. Pools are closed, beaches are closed, roads are closed, borders are closed. No public transportation for non escencial workers. No flights. And it will take long before anything is being opened.

I had to cancel three international dive trips this year, so I've been diving the hell out of the local quarries and lakes. Not exactly the same as tropical diving, but it has had to suffice. I had a couple of late-summer Lake Huron wreck dives set up, but then the Go Between broke down and put an end to the Port Sanilac charter dive season. I could drive out to Hammond or Milwaukee, but instead I've just been doing local stuff. I mean, how can you beat a shallow dive in a murky, silty local lake with 2' viz? Lol. At least the viz at the quarries has been pretty good this year, despite the hot summer.

Well, I did my last dives in a quarry last March 15th 2020 and after that everything closed. I had tickets, hotel and dive reservations in San Andres - Colombia for May 2020 and everything was cancelled. Also plans for diving in mountain lakes this month were also cancelled. I have now tickets and reservations for Playa del Carmen for next May 2021, but we don't know if we can fly.

Sorry about your knees. My wife just had a replacement, which is a much longer recovery than the two hips she had replaced. I've been lucky in that respect, though the last couple of years I've crossed off several shore sites that involve longer walks, and particularly ones with CLIMBING or difficult rocky entries/exits. Crawling out is not a desired option (not that it ever was). The crawling's not so bad, it's picking your spot then the struggle to balance and stand up.
That said, I'm on track for the most dives in a year since 2017. Mainly due to no usual trip to NY, where I miss about 6 dives due to travel & other stuff. Dug up some new sites at home to make the summer more interesting.

Sorry about your knees. My wife just had a replacement, which is a much longer recovery than the two hips she had replaced. I've been lucky in that respect, though the last couple of years I've crossed off several shore sites that involve longer walks, and particularly ones with CLIMBING or difficult rocky entries/exits. Crawling out is not a desired option (not that it ever was). The crawling's not so bad, it's picking your spot then the struggle to balance and stand up.
That said, I'm on track for the most dives in a year since 2017. Mainly due to no usual trip to NY, where I miss about 6 dives due to travel & other stuff. Dug up some new sites at home to make the summer more interesting.

Devils Lake in WI has a northern entry that is over rocks. A buddy who knows my knee issues suggested the southern beach entry. No scrambling over rocks. It was a good choice. I was there a few weeks back. Fun pic buddy got. Fish eye view, he called it.
E9D1FE08-2077-47DD-A377-BE28D75AA601.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your knees issues but happy to hear that you had nice dives !

Devils Lake in WI has a northern entry that is over rocks. A buddy who knows my knee issues suggested the southern beach entry. No scrambling over rocks. It was a good choice. I was there a few weeks back. Fun pic buddy got. Fish eye view, he called it.
View attachment 612734
Yeah, beach entries are the best. Car/beach/water. I've never taken any kind of a serious fall with tank on back, knock wood. Did fall once in 2 feet of water due to seaweed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom