Becoming a PSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naedward81

Registered
Reaction score
title says it all. I will be getting OW certified in April, then running the gauntlet through PADI rescue diver, then some tech certs. Is this the right track or should I be looking in a different direction?

thanks,
Nate

Hi Nate and welcome aboard.

First off jump on over to this post and read it. For now it’s next to yours.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pu...cue-diver-certification-route-way-better.html

Then it would be nice if you filled out your profile so we know something about you.

Now the questions: :wink:
Where are you located?
How old are you?
Are you affiliated with a fire or LE department?
Do you have access to a PSD team?
Do you know what PSD is all about?
And
Why are you planning on going that far with recreational training?

Play around this PSD site and read as many of the post as you can.

Good luck

Gary D.

thanks Gary. Im in MN, but moving to Ft myers in Sept. 27 here in May. not affiliated w/Fire or LE dept. Prob could get access through the local FD, uncle just retired. I think I have some kind of grasp on what PSD is all about. Is it a waste to go this far w/ rec training? Don't I need to get through rescue diver to advance to tech specialties?

Thanks
-N

PSD training has very little to do with the tech specialties.

Training for PSD is best done by those with extensive experience in PSD- not recreational diving. There are several agencies out there including ERDI, Lifeguard Systems and Dive Rescue international that have training programs that meet the needs we have.

As Gary said- take a look back through the threads here, the same question has been asked many times.

First step is to find out who provides the service in the area you want to work and if they have volunteers or if you will need to be full time LE or FF to get on the team.

Good luck!

thanks Gary. Im in MN, but moving to Ft myers in Sept. 27 here in May. not affiliated w/Fire or LE dept. Prob could get access through the local FD, uncle just retired. I think I have some kind of grasp on what PSD is all about. Is it a waste to go this far w/ rec training? Don't I need to get through rescue diver to advance to tech specialties?

Thanks
-N

Lee County has a good team but I think they are all full time LEO's. The last time I contacted them they were some mighty big boys.

In order to become a PSD you need to be attached to some emergency service agency. I would be cautious of anyone who says they will train you on their own outside of a PSD training agency. I’d bet they were after nothing but your money.

Recreational training is good for recreational diving. The problem with trying to get recreational training to work for PSD is so much of the information is contradictory. The further you go in recreational training the more confused you may be.

PSD is not related to recreational Tech diving. Normally when a dive exceeds the PSD departments limits they either resort to an ROV or the Commercial Divers.

See if your local library has or can get a copy of “The Underwater Encyclopedia of Underwater Investigations”. That should open your eyes to what PSD is.

Good luck

Gary D.

i have checked into the DRI website, and they have training in MN, but you have to be part of a team to participate. And i guess I forgot to ask in my previous post, but LE?

I guess I should ask this too. What does getting through PADI rescue do for me? does it help finding jobs on the rec end, or is it just a card on the way to DM.

I guess I should ask this too. What does getting through PADI rescue do for me? does it help finding jobs on the rec end, or is it just a card on the way to DM.

LE is Law Enforcement. As far as the rest of your question goes I'm the wrong one to be asking. Someone else can jump in or go over to the general discussion. Another thing is a PSD certification isn't like recreational certifications that last a lifetime. They are only good for three years.

Rescue itself is a very good one to take. But then again it gets contradictory on our side. Good one to take but one has to be open minded enough to separate the two.

There are many out there that think Rescue makes them a Rescue (PSD) diver. It doesn’t but it does help with knowing yourself better and what to do when emergencies arise.

Good Luck

Gary D.

Thanks for all the info Gary.
I shouldn't have any problem with the contradictions, i'm a former jarhead, and the corps is full of them.

Thanks for all the info Gary.
I shouldn't have any problem with the contradictions, i'm a former jarhead, and the corps is full of them.

Hehehehe Jarhead? That's just a sailor who can't drive a boat and won't ask for directions. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom