Becoming a PSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no, its the mens department of the sailor section that has someone in a white hat chaufer them around.

Finally a new one. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Hey Nate,

I was recently looking into accidents and incidents in Public Safety Diving for teams in Central VA.

I came across a great article that emphasizes the points made in this post.
Watery Saves

Regards,

John

Good article. Thanks for posting it.

Gary D.

great article, thanks fo rposting that John.

Gary, you do know what MARINE stands for:
M y
A ss
R ides
I n
N avy
E quipment

great article, thanks fo rposting that John.

Gary, you do know what MARINE stands for:
M y
A ss
R ides
I n
N avy
E quipment

:rofl3: Not only will we give your livestock a ride we'll even let the guy's and gal's in uniform go as well. :rofl3:

Gary D.

John
Thanks for the link, good reading.. Steve was my instructoor for DR-1 when I was in ILL.

Jim

I'm A PSD here in Charlotte County, which is just north of Fort Myers. Unless you are with either a fire or Law Enforcement agency down here they wont use you. It has to do with liability and insurance. We have civilians from our agency, Charlotte County S.O on the team as line tenders but we do not use anyone outside a Fire or LE agency on our team. the LDS does provide air and equipment support but that is as far as we go. We have gotten alot of rec. certs but found they are not very useful in zero viz environments with entanglement hazards.

PSD training has very little to do with the tech specialties.

Training for PSD is best done by those with extensive experience in PSD- not recreational diving. There are several agencies out there including ERDI, Lifeguard Systems and Dive Rescue international that have training programs that meet the needs we have.

As Gary said- take a look back through the threads here, the same question has been asked many times.

First step is to find out who provides the service in the area you want to work and if they have volunteers or if you will need to be full time LE or FF to get on the team.

Good luck!

As previously posted there are quite a few good PSD Cert Agencies around. Recreational Rescue classes have really nothing to do with PSD. However take the rec classes and gain more knowledge about diving and improve your skills. The more you dive the better a diving you should become. PSD is NOT rec diving, it is NOT easy, it DOES take more skill than most divers have. PSD dive in the cold, the dark, the NO VIS stuff. We dive when and where most divers will say no. Someone's got to do it, and we make that choice.
In the mean time dive all you can, take the rec courses, nitrox, rescue, drift and any oyu can. Get your advanced cert, all these will make you a better diver with more knowledge and eventually and PSD.
Godo luck.

I guess I should ask this too. What does getting through PADI rescue do for me? does it help finding jobs on the rec end, or is it just a card on the way to DM.

Mainly it is just a card. But you do learn to help other divers. Knowledge is key in anything you do.

Back
Top Bottom