Becoming a DM - Padi or a different Org?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Questions for instructors...
Getting closer to retiring and am interested in becoming a Dive master. I have lots of certs with PADI, but also have certs with TDI and IANTD. I found that the training quality from TDI and IANTD to be much higher in expectations and to some degree also the skill set from the various instructors. To be fair those were a Sidemount course and Cavern, Intro, Cave and Cave Stage.
Since most anywhere I might choose to work as a DM will likely be a PADI shop - should I take Dm from a PADI shop also?
Or is the training any better from TDi or IANTD?
Are you sure you want to baby sit divers a lot of times?
Your skill/technique is probably better than a lot of instructors! Honest.
BTW, are you sure you will be employed! A lot of competitions.
Where would you like to work?
Good luck to your future adventure.

Are you sure you want to baby sit divers a lot of times?
DM'ing is about helping others...sometimes students, sometimes instructors, sometimes people who just want a guided dive.
Your skill/technique is probably better than a lot of instructors!
So? TO be a DM is not intended as a way to improve your skills; it is a way to use your skills.
BTW, are you sure you will be employed!
The OP has already addressed this.

DM'ing is about helping others...sometimes students, sometimes instructors, sometimes people who just want a guided dive.

So? TO be a DM is not intended as a way to improve your skills; it is a way to use your skills.

The OP has already addressed this.
Still need to baby sit some of the times.
You are just full of imagination!!! Where did I say OP need to improve his skill? You just have your own pathetic way to twist a lot of things!

I have been offered a job with a dive shop already. Just would need to do my DM. Since I could take the DM anywhere the question is... would they still hire me or are they expecting to teach me the DM and then employ me. And yes my skill set would be higher than a typical DM. My advantage would be in buoyancy trim and propulsion.

Are you in a place where you can dedicate the time and effort required to become a DM: i.e. working for the shop without pay, or you paying the shop to work there!

We will own property near the DS and I will likely pay for the DM. That gives me the freedom to DM when it is convenient for me

A few weeks ago I went to a warm resort for a week's diving and spent a couple of days on a "cattle boat" tagging along, first time in many years.

I was astounded at how much work the DiveMaster / dive leader did. Planning dives, doing the dive review, keeping an eye on his flock, helping all sorts of people... Only then did I really understand how much work was involved and just how hard it was.

Completely shattered my fantasy retirement plan of being around myriad people chewing the cud over diving.

I recommend considering the financial aspect of what you are doing. You will need insurance, even after you stop providing professional services depending on the statue of limitations where you are. Then there are yearly dues. The pay is paltry at best. You can make more money working at a fast food restaurant.

You have to want to do this and not care about/expect any signficant income. Depending on the situation you may not even break even.

I'd compare saving your money and spending it to do the diving that you want to do and see what is better for you. The liability that dive pros incur is not to be taken lightly.

I recommend considering the financial aspect of what you are doing. You will need insurance, even after you stop providing professional services depending on the statue of limitations where you are. Then there are yearly dues. The pay is paltry at best. You can make more money working at a fast food restaurant.

You have to want to do this and not care about/expect any signficant income. Depending on the situation you may not even break even.

I'd compare saving your money and spending it to do the diving that you want to do and see what is better for you. The liability that dive pros incur is not to be taken lightly.
Good advice for the US. The OP is in Canada.

A few weeks ago I went to a warm resort for a week's diving and spent a couple of days on a "cattle boat" tagging along, first time in many years.

I was astounded at how much work the DiveMaster / dive leader did. Planning dives, doing the dive review, keeping an eye on his flock, helping all sorts of people... Only then did I really understand how much work was involved and just how hard it was.

Completely shattered my fantasy retirement plan of being around myriad people chewing the cud over diving.
They have to load the boat with foods, tanks, etc etc
How about after the dive?
Make sure nothing is left behind, tidy up and even have to wash the rental equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom