beach diving info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r&wc

Contributor
Reaction score
me and my wife are novice to intermidiate divers with 25 logged dives each, all of them have been from a boat except one, i really enjoyed the beach dive but have not done it again because i feel we lack the knowledge and experience to do it safely by ourselves and most of my more experienced friends never want to go (i think they are being sissy's) as one of my friends put it "anybody can boat dive, but beach diving is where you seperate the men from the boys"
can someone help me learn what things i need to be looking at, current, tides etc?

if i felt confident enough to go with just my wife i think id be in the water every weekend!

location = ft lauderdale

Ha, your friends sure are lazy! :lol:

Seriously, talk to shops closest to where you want to beach dive (you didn't tell us where). Go to the beach and talk with other divers as they are coming out. Be in shape! When you enter the water it might be calm, but you'll be out there for a couple of hours and things sure can change. Make sure both of you are capable of handling yourselves in case things go wrong, whether a medical or equipment problem. Remember: the boat is not there to assist you.

That said, beach diving is a blast, I've been doing it in Broward County for about 25 years. You'll get to see all the stuff that the boat divers can't see because they can't come in that close. You'll get home sooner, and you'll save lots of money from boat fees to spend on new gear. :10: And you will never be more fit in your life! There were a couple of years where me and two close friends tried to do 2-3 beach dives every single week. We were in incredible shape and could eat whatever we liked.

Although I just dive when it's convenient, if you are still new you may wish to pay attention to tides. Time it so that you are returning on an incoming tide so that you aren't fighting it at the end of your dive.

Enjoy yourself, just be safe and don't go when the water is rough, there's always another weekend!

Oops, we were replying at the same time. Fort Lauderdale? Perfect! On Saturday there is a Kayuba beach picnic and everyone is invited. I'm not even a member but I'm going and you don't need a kayak either. Details on this thread.

Matt at UnderSeas Sports in Fort Lauderdale is another great resource for beach diving info, his shop is on the East side of Federal just north of Sunrise Boulevard and 13th Street.

Hope to see you and your wife on Saturday!

DebbyDiver:
When you enter the water it might be calm, but you'll be out there for a couple of hours and things sure can change.

we experienced just that during the one beach dive we did, everything was great when we got in (dania Erojacks) but on the way back we couldnt swim SW to intersect the fence that divides john loyed and dania (john loyd was closed) we ended up having to swim straight in and walk up the beach. i guess the fact that by the time we were finishing the dive we were swimming at an angle to not get swept into the jacks should have been a pretty good clue that the current was picking up. hind sight is always twenty twenty LOL

i consider myself in pretty good shape, i think we did very well on our beach dive experience even with having to fight the current and trek a pretty long way on foot but i always err on the side of caution and never consider myself an expert at anything, hence why i am here trying to get everyone elses opinions and advice

When I dive the jacks, I swim the jacks out to the ledge, then follow the ledge south and then swim straight back in almost near the pier.

i didnt like the idea of getting close to the peir, i feel for the fish enough, i dont want a hook in my mouth LOL

when we walked onto the beadh we were standing right in front of the jack that is in the sand to mark the spot, it was a pretty good walk from that point through dania beach to the car

DennisS:
You don't mention your location, here's a S Fl beach dive thats good for a beginner

http://www.fillexpress.com/library/datura.shtml

This is an excellent beach dive. Thats funny though - I always considered beach diving safer than boat diving. Why is it considered to be more dangerous (no boat support?).

A couple of things I have learned with my limited experince:
- Always use a dive flag.
- Do not surface (if you can help it) until you are safely by shore (some boats tend to ignore dive flags)
- Understand how to use a compass
- I like to carry a safety sausage and "dive alert" horn (but even on boat dives).
- If possbile suit up at the car and walk down to the beach to keep sand out of your gear.

Good Luck

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom