Be careful in Bonaire (Burglaries)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the thread lurkers, et al: do you find it intersting, as I do, that no one offers an answer to these important questions? Does that inspire you to visit?

"But you keep confusing "safety of guests" with "safety of guests' property".

What happens to the guest on Bonaire when he comes back to his room while the crooks are there with crowbars, still pulling the safe out of the wall and ransacking the place? Do the Bonaire crooks say, sorry and just leave? Do they attack/assault the guest and finish the crime? Does the guest attack them? What happens to the guests when he awakes from sleep, with the Bonaire crooks in the room? Do they leave, or put the guest back to sleep? Does anyone really know? Has this happened already, where the guests were also attacked/assaulted, but the police on Bonaire and Bonaire Gov has kept it quiet, so as not to scare tourists away?

Since Bonaire Gov and police does not publish any of their crime stats, it's hard to know the real truth? That concerns me.

Does all this Bonaire bashing have a point? Are we going someplace positive here?

We love Bonaire, and travel there repeatedly. Sorry for the original poster's unfortunate incident but it will hardly deter us from traveling to and diving off the fantastic reefs. The people of Bonaire are on the whole great, we have nothing but wonderful memories from each of our trips to date, and are looking forward to making more when we visit again in June.

PF- I would have to guess that most all of us agree with this last post. YES, as stated many times, there is a problem with crime in bonaire.

I can't speak for anyone else on the forum, but if I were to walk in on thieves ransacking my room, I'd have one heck of a fight on my hands. I'd probably suffer a beat down, but I'd take as many of them with me as possible.

I don't think anyone would disagree that more needs to be done to prevent any crime that happens on the island. I dont think anyone would disagree that the police need to step up their efforts in solving cases that already exist.

And im sure most would like to be informed of actions taken by the police, tourists, and the citizens of the island.

Hopefully details will be given out sooner than later and "divers paradise" will be safe for everyone!

Yes, yes it is my opinion... I knew that when I posted it. But, I also know Don has been traveling the Caribbean, so I am speaking to Caribbean destinations. If you care to look at where I've been diving you can simply look at my profile

Sorry, I actually tried to look at the profile before I posted but I must have hit the wrong button because I didn't see one. I see it now. Looks like you've pretty much covered the caribbean. Again, no offense.

You just don't get it at all:shakehead:

Does all this Bonaire bashing have a point? Are we going someplace positive here?

We love Bonaire, and travel there repeatedly. Sorry for the original poster's unfortunate incident but it will hardly deter us from traveling to and diving off the fantastic reefs. The people of Bonaire are on the whole great, we have nothing but wonderful memories from each of our trips to date, and are looking forward to making more when we visit again in June.

I guess we don't. We love the island, and we love to dive. You should come diving with us!

I guess we don't. We love the island, and we love to dive. You should come diving with us!

OK, but who will watch my room so it doesn't get broken into while I'm off diving with you?

The majority agree with you. We all "get it" when it comes to Bonaire and crime. We all understand there is a risk when traveling abroad (anywhere abroad) and have factored that risk into our dive vacation decision.

From the original poster here to the woman who was accosted in her room (DDs example)... All of us decided we will travel to Bonaire again (in one case purchase a time share on the island), and we have all decided it is worth our vacation decision, for those of us who choose to travel there.

We have weighed the expense, crime and measures needed to help prevent becoming a victim of crime (in all our dive vacation destinations) and made our informed decision that we will dive Bonaire yet again. Why? Because it is worth it in our opinion!

To the thread lurkers, et al: do you find it intersting, as I do, that no one offers an answer to these important questions? Does that inspire you to visit?

since you're bringing this to point...

1.) your last (and only) visit to Bonaire was 2005 right?

2.) do you plan on going back soon? (ie are you inspired to visit there soon?)

3.) if not, why do you bother to fill up these threads with your crap?

these are important questions.... IJS....

You just don't get it at all:shakehead:

PF..My wife & I have been traveling to Bonaire for 25 years. We have nothing but happy and fond memories. We leave in less than a week and we're both very much looking forward to it. Rest assured if we have a crime problem I promise I'll let you and the other readers know about it. But, between you & me, I don't think that YOU get it.

Your constant bashing of Bonaire is inane.. I (and I'm sure many others on this board) don't understand your impetus. If you hate Bonaire (for whatever reason), that's fine. But why do you really care? What drives you?

There are places in the Carib where I will never return again. Yet I do not have an incessant obsessive drive to continuously post nasty things on an internet site. You really ought to move on with your life and find a place that you love. I think it will be healthier for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom