Be careful in Bonaire (Burglaries)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still marvel at heidilotus' story, amazed that she stuck it out and kept going back after being rendered unconscious by the burglar. She was not here to cause problems; have no reason to disbelieve...?
That should indicate the type of diving available on Bonaire to every diver...
The diving on Bonaire is excellent...but it's not the only place in the world to dive. Continuing to revisit the island (or investing in it) after being victimized by thieves sends the wrong message to the police/government/citizens of Bonaire. It says: "The crime on your island isn't bad enough to deter me from spending money there. Please maintain the status quo." Is that what divers want?

A completely different approach would be to refrain from going back to Bonaire until substantive changes in security are implemented. If that means augmenting the size/quality of the police force, then so be it. If that means having more serious punishment for convicted criminals, then that's what should be done.

I guess that's why I'm so puzzled by heidilotus's post. In light of the recent spike in criminal activity, her story paints the picture of an impotent police force. If the situation continues on the current trajectory, Bonaire's reputation for crime will worsen, divers will avoid the island, businesses that cater to the tourist trade will close, and protection for the nearby reef/marine life will vanish. Sad.

Until recently, I was planning on returning to Bonaire (been there twice). No longer. I fully acknowledge that, if I went, I'd probably take ample precautions to protect against the criminal element: locking wheel lugnuts for the rental truck, my own locking gas cap, never filling up the gas tank all the way, pay twice as much as other places to stay at a compound-style resort like Buddy Dive, lining glass bottles inside the front/back doors, and portable door alarms. By taking these precautions, I may save myself from being targeted, but in essence what this accomplishes is it encourages the criminals to victimize someone else -- probably another dive tourist. The diving is great...but frankly it isn't worth all of that nonsense. There's magnificent diving elsewhere in the world that I will now take the opportunity to explore. I suspect that many others feel the same way.

The diving on Bonaire is excellent...but it's not the only place in the world to dive. Continuing to revisit the island (or investing in it) after being victimized by thieves sends the wrong message to the police/government/citizens of Bonaire. It says: "The crime on your island isn't bad enough to deter me from spending money there. Please maintain the status quo." Is that what divers want?

A completely different approach would be to refrain from going back to Bonaire until substantive changes in security are implemented. If that means augmenting the size/quality of the police force, then so be it. If that means having more serious punishment for convicted criminals, then that's what should be done.

I guess that's why I'm so puzzled by heidilotus's post. In light of the recent spike in criminal activity, her story paints the picture of an impotent police force. If the situation continues on the current trajectory, Bonaire's reputation for crime will worsen, divers will avoid the island, businesses that cater to the tourist trade will close, and protection for the nearby reef/marine life will vanish. Sad.

Until recently, I was planning on returning to Bonaire (been there twice). No longer. I fully acknowledge that, if I went, I'd probably take ample precautions to protect against the criminal element: locking wheel lugnuts for the rental truck, my own locking gas cap, never filling up the gas tank all the way, pay twice as much as other places to stay at a compound-style resort like Buddy Dive, lining glass bottles inside the front/back doors, and portable door alarms. By taking these precautions, I may save myself from being targeted, but in essence what this accomplishes is it encourages the criminals to victimize someone else -- probably another dive tourist. The diving is great...but frankly it isn't worth all of that nonsense. There's magnificent diving elsewhere in the world that I will now take the opportunity to explore. I suspect that many others feel the same way.
That is your opinion, and you are welcome and encouraged to have it... others have a different opionion...

That is your opinion, and you are welcome and encouraged to have it... others have a different opionion...
@CoolTech: This is stating the obvious.

I encourage you to travel elsewhere for your dive vacations. The Caribbean is nice. Bonaire offers healthy reefs, most of which are accessible by convenient shore diving. But there's a lot more to see elsewhere. The crime issues on Bonaire make it much less attractive as a dive destination. I feel sorry for the people of Bonaire and for divers that would travel there under different circumstances. All of us deserve better.

since you're bringing this to point...

1.) your last (and only) visit to Bonaire was 2005 right?

2.) do you plan on going back soon? (ie are you inspired to visit there soon?)

3.) if not, why do you bother to fill up these threads with your crap?

these are important questions.... IJS....

I second this request!

I encourage you to travel elsewhere for your dive vacations. The Caribbean is nice. Bonaire offers healthy reefs, most of which are accessible by convenient shore diving. But there's a lot more to see elsewhere. The crime issues on Bonaire make it much less attractive as a dive destination. I feel sorry for the people of Bonaire and for divers that would travel there under different circumstances. All of us deserve better.
Obviously you have not viewed my bio, know nothing about me and where I have traveled or you wouldn't have even made this statement

Stating the obvious is sometimes the best way to make a point.... You have stated your opinion. Others have a different opinion. You have been encouraged and welcomed to have your opinion. Give others the exact same courtesy you have been given!

I encourage you to travel elsewhere for your dive vacations. The Caribbean is nice. Bonaire offers healthy reefs, most of which are accessible by convenient shore diving. But there's a lot more to see elsewhere. The crime issues on Bonaire make it much less attractive as a dive destination. I feel sorry for the people of Bonaire and for divers that would travel there under different circumstances. All of us deserve better.[\QUOTE]
It's these kinds of posts that make me want to play the comparison game, which apparently pisses some people off. They say, "Bonaire isn't as good as X, Y, and Z" but if you look into X, Y, and Z, you can easily find reasons why they aren't as good as Bonaire.

If I had my druthers, not to mention a lot more money and time, I'd probably do most or all of my diving in Palau, even though it doesn't have the shore diving "freedom" that Bonaire offers. But Bonaire, as hard as it might be to reach from the west coast, is closer and cheaper than Palau and with the shore diving, good food, and friendly people, makes an excellent compromise when I have to "settle" for the Caribbean.

Where, I must inquire, is there better overall diving than Bonaire if you have limited time and budget? Please don't say Roatan or Cozumel or Grand Cayman, because I'll laugh so hard my lungs might burst and that's not good for my future diving.

THAT, my friends, is a diver using common sense.

bubble, he just not get it. You are using good common sense and he is taking a gamble. Maybe that's all he knows of diving -Bonaire?

If I had my druthers, not to mention a lot more money and time, I'd probably do most or all of my diving in Palau, even though it doesn't have the shore diving "freedom" that Bonaire offers. But Bonaire, as hard as it might be to reach from the west coast, is closer and cheaper than Palau and with the shore diving, good food, and friendly people, makes an excellent compromise when I have to "settle" for the Caribbean.

Where, I must inquire, is there better overall diving than Bonaire if you have limited time and budget? Please don't say Roatan or Cozumel or Grand Cayman, because I'll laugh so hard my lungs might burst and that's not good for my future diving.

I think ROATAN, COZUMEL, big time, and GRAND CAYMAN ARE BETTER THAN BONAIRE ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. THERE ISN'T AS MUCH OF A CRIME PROBLEM ON THOSE ISLANDS AS THERE IS ON BONAIRE. But let's play the compare game, as moss intends.

It's these kinds of posts that make me want to play the comparison game, which apparently pisses some people off. They say, "Bonaire isn't as good as X, Y, and Z" but if you look into X, Y, and Z, you can easily find reasons why they aren't as good as Bonaire.
Please re-read my posts. I'm not playing the comparison game at all. Actually, I feel strongly enough about the Bonaire situation that I'd be willing to spend more money for a "less fulfilling" underwater experience elsewhere.
This is great info. Palau is definitely on my dive destination radar. My experience with eating at the various restaurants on Bonaire hasn't been as positive as some others have reported. I'd say that the food is "OK" and possibly over-priced for the quality (with certain exceptions, of course). I wouldn't characterize myself as a foodie, but I do like good food.
I haven't been to Roatan or Grand Cayman. I liked Cozumel, but I'd say the reef life is more abundant and closer to shore (more accessible) on Bonaire. Also, the current in Cozumel makes it more challenging for UW photography. I fully acknowledge that, if one is looking strictly at budget, travel time, and "value" (quantity of dives/dive vacation), then it's difficult to beat Bonaire. Personally, I always take more into consideration than just those factors.

On a side note, it appears that those who choose to return to Bonaire (at least the ones here on SB) agree that staying at the more secure, compound-style dive resorts, like Buddy Dive, is a prudent move given the crime issues off-resort. Over time, I wonder if this will destroy the market for the small house/off-resort condo rental operator. Is this the direction that Bonaire is heading? I hope not. I actually prefer the off-resort condo places.

The island has a serious public relations issue. It will be interesting to see what is done in the next few months/years. I hope that government gives the dive tourism industry on Bonaire the support that it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom