BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP,

I invert the snorkel as I dive to keep it away from my mouth. When I surface I invert it back, it's a preference that I have opted to use.

Perhaps that's why you would "confuse" it with the LPI? (Alas, another gear solution to a skill problem.)

Here's RJP style for ya - which is decidely NOT "vertical" in the water column. Note the absence of retractors, buckles, suicide snaps, levers, doohickies, danglies, etc.

GoodViz2.jpg

Perhaps that's why you would "confuse" it with the LPI? (Alas, another gear solution to a skill problem.)

Here's RJP style for ya - which is decidely NOT "vertical" in the water column. Note the absence of retractors, buckles, suicide snaps, levers, doohickies, danglies, etc.

Awesome picture RJP!!! :lotsalove:

Awesome picture RJP!!! :lotsalove:

Yeah awesome picture of how clear the ocean is but I don't see you dumping air like in the picture I posted.

Far from showing us a true release of air while horizontal while on a BP/W.

You also don't dive with video equipment because I don't see any of your video work which would have to house some type of security inless you intend to use the hand strap only. I on the other hand dive multiple lights and camera/video equipment.

You seriously crack me up, I should just dive my BCD without any of my equipment and say look at me, I can dump horizontal and not have any suicide clips, hey I'm RJP.... :)
:dork2:

May I please have permission to quote you as necessary? I think that's a perfect definition of "master of skills". Perfect.
Knock yourself out, but it's not much as a pick up line.
The "elevator lever" is incompatible with most dry suits on the market. The reason for this is due to the method of venting air. With a few exceptions, dry suit exhaust valves are located on the bicep of the left arm. This allows the diver to elevate the BCD deflator hose over the head (there's that pesky overhead deflator hose thing -- I hear it discourages people from becoming divers) using the left hand, press the BCD deflator button and simultaneously flex the left bicep to effect a manual exhaust of the dry suit. In this way you can deflate both "buoyant" devices simultaneously; ie. prevent a run-away ascent.
Yeah, that's true. As I've stated before, my biggest problem with the lever is the way it prevents you from using your left hand for anything while adjusting buoyancy.

<snip> Not sure what "agog" means? Please explain. In the interim, I will venture a generic guess.

<snip>

a·gog (&#601;-g&#335;g')
adj. Full of keen anticipation or excitement; eager.

<snip> The "elevator lever" is incompatible with most dry suits on the market. The reason for this is due to the method of venting air. With a few exceptions, dry suit exhaust valves are located on the bicep of the left arm. This allows the diver to elevate the BCD deflator hose over the head (there's that pesky overhead deflator hose thing -- I hear it discourages people from becoming divers) using the left hand, press the BCD deflator button and simultaneously flex the left bicep to effect a manual exhaust of the dry suit. In this way you can deflate both "buoyant" devices simultaneously; ie. prevent a run-away ascent.

By placing the BC exhaust lever on the left hip, the diver must extend the left arm to reach the lever. This precludes the diver from flexing the left bicep to exhaust the dry suit simultaneously. Now admittedly, you might adjust your technique to something odd like toggle elevator lever with left hand while simultaneously using the right hand to reach across your body and press the exhaust valve on the dry suit; but all of this seems a little ridiculous.

<snip>
I'm not sure what to make of this bicep flexing and whatnot. It certainly doesn't fit with the drysuits that I've been diving for quite a while. Oddly, those of us that habitually use the bottom left wing dump seem to be able to manage bouyancy okay.

I would point out that I did try one of these in the pool, wearing a drysuit, and did not die or imitate a Polaris missile. This is why I asked what the big deal is with wearing a drysuit and the i3. I was rather impressed, actually, although it's certainly not for me.

All the best, James

You also don't dive with video equipment because I don't see any of your video work which would have to house some type of security inless you intend to use the hand strap only. I on the other hand dive multiple lights and camera/video equipment.

If you look closely in the picture you'll see I'm holding a camera rig comprised of an Ikelite housed camera with tray, handles and two strobes attached. The housing has a cave-rigged bolt snap which can be clipped to a chest or waist d-ring if needed. Though admittedly, the conditions in the Cayman's don't typically require clipping the rig off.

RJP,

I invert the snorkel as I dive to keep it away from my mouth. When I surface I invert it back, it's a preference that I have opted to use.

Works fine for me but since you like underwater pics of me doing it RJP style, enjoy these pics I took on Sunday just for you. :)

89vn02p.jpg

Hmm.. Apparently there is no "stay off the bottom" button on that BC...

Sorry Mike, but I just gotta pick at ya! :D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Well I think the vis in that photo is about 4 feet given you can see the tips of mike's fins. So assuming he's about 6 foot, plus his knees are bent, that's about 4 foot from the camera to the end of his fins.

:popcorn::coffee:

Simple - just press the button above "G" for "Ground Floor" on the elevator.

Wouldn't it be great if you could connect your computer to your BC, program your plan into your computer and then your computer will control your BC inflation depending on your plan.

Now THAT would be a BC to rival the i3!

Back
Top Bottom