BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<snip>Also, with regard to the elevator lever, elevator lever doesn't work well with most commercially available dry suits. <snip>

I am agog with curiosity as to why this is so.

All the best, James

Oh no!!!

I better restate my statement. I didn't like the fact that as I would reach out in almost zero visibility for my corrugated hose for a split second I would grab my mouthpiece to my snorkel.
Visibility should have no bearing on your ability to perform skills. That you would be looking for your inflator where your snorkel is kinda baffles me. If they really are that close to each other, the inflator hose retainer on the jacket must be very high up, not in use or the inflator hose is rather long.
I am SSI certified so that means snorkel with my gear... I actually use my snorkel a lot since I've only done beach dives; the surface swims save me some air for bottom time.

Our intructor made sure we had snorkels to dive with and she made sure we used them...
I require all students in class to wear a snorkel. I also wear a snorkel for all training dives. I hate snorkels when doing SCUBA, but they are required per SSI and RSTC standards.

When not doing training dives, I have a folding snorkel I keep in a pocket, but have never used. I find it more efficient to stay on my back during surface swims. I advise students to get a good snorkel for free diving or a foldable and leave it in a pocket or dive bag when doing SCUBA.
With proper gear configuration (and training/skill) this really can't happen, as your snorkle mouthpiece and LP inflator really shouldn't be near each other. Additionally, visibility has nothing to do with it, as you should be able to do this literally with your eyes closed. (It's that whole pesky skill thing again.)

Exactly...... While "mastery of skills" is very subjective, I consider it to mean that they can be performed on cue, without stress, fluidly, repeatedly and without visual reference. It should be as easy and intuitive as grabbing your own ass.

Having horrible skills doesn't rule out passing OW.
It does in my course.
the SeaQuest Pro QD with i3 is, in my opinion, the best BC currently available on the market...perhaps I am alone in my principles, but I absolutely cannot stand having to raise a hose above my head to go down and having to reach for a dangling button on the end of a hose to inflate or deflate.:no
You could always use the butt dump, but you would have to hassle with reaching all the way down to pull that damned string....

don't believe me? go check one out in a dive store, try it in a pool, and with an open mind *cough cough* give it a chance...you will be amazed
I tried it and was amazed anyone would buy it.

Agog? That doesn't sound good.

Did anyone say, BP/W in action?

6yn3p8x.jpg

I recently purchased the Pro Qd I3 and I think its great. It fits great and is easy to use, I don't know that its any better or worse than any other outfit but I am very happy with it so far.

I better restate my statement. I didn't like the fact that as I would reach out in almost zero visibility for my corrugated hose for a split second I would grab my mouthpiece to my snorkel.

OK so 2 obvious problems here. Firstly you wear a snorkel when diving which is pointless.
Secondly all kit should be familiar so it can be done by touch with eyes closed every time. Learning the location of a hose is no different to learning the location of a up/down elevator lever.

the SeaQuest Pro QD with i3 is, in my opinion, the best BC currently available on the market...perhaps I am alone in my principles, but I absolutely cannot stand having to raise a hose above my head to go down and having to reach for a dangling button on the end of a hose to inflate or deflate.:no

Don't like raising a hose above head? OK simple solution. Learn how to use the BC properly. Use the shoulder or arse dump toggle. Perfectly possible to do an entire dive without using the hose deflate button even once.

Exactly...... While "mastery of skills" is very subjective, I consider it to mean that they can be performed on cue, without stress, fluidly, repeatedly and without visual reference. It should be as easy and intuitive as grabbing your own ass.

May I please have permission to quote you as necessary? I think that's a perfect definition of "master of skills". Perfect.

Not sure what "agog" means? Please explain. In the interim, I will venture a generic guess.

The "elevator lever" is incompatible with most dry suits on the market. The reason for this is due to the method of venting air. With a few exceptions, dry suit exhaust valves are located on the bicep of the left arm. This allows the diver to elevate the BCD deflator hose over the head (there's that pesky overhead deflator hose thing -- I hear it discourages people from becoming divers) using the left hand, press the BCD deflator button and simultaneously flex the left bicep to effect a manual exhaust of the dry suit. In this way you can deflate both "buoyant" devices simultaneously; ie. prevent a run-away ascent.

By placing the BC exhaust lever on the left hip, the diver must extend the left arm to reach the lever. This precludes the diver from flexing the left bicep to exhaust the dry suit simultaneously. Now admittedly, you might adjust your technique to something odd like toggle elevator lever with left hand while simultaneously using the right hand to reach across your body and press the exhaust valve on the dry suit; but all of this seems a little ridiculous.

We could debate the techniques / locations of dry suit exhaust valves; but I believe there's another forum for that discussion. Most dry suits place the exhaust valve on the left bicep to integrate nicely into the deflate/vent concept of the BCD inflator/deflator hose. Moving that deflation point to the left hip interferes with this integration scheme.

Mike, why on earth is the poor guy in your photo almost vertical? Even to use the corrugated hose to dump air does not require such an extreme position...

Oh yeah, and what's with all the chimneys next to the head? :D

Happy new year to all of the SB's and especially Mike & the rest of the gang keeping this thread alive! It's hard work, but I reckon we're doing just fine. :D

Did anyone say, BP/W in action?

6yn3p8x.jpg

No, but at least the guy in the picture has his snorkle on correctly.

:D

mikeguerrero.gif

RJP,

I invert the snorkel as I dive to keep it away from my mouth. When I surface I invert it back, it's a preference that I have opted to use.

Works fine for me but since you like underwater pics of me doing it RJP style, enjoy these pics I took on Sunday just for you. :)

89vn02p.jpg

6o4xspi.jpg

P.S
You need to get off your rubber float and go dive.... LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom