BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D

Dive the thing until it falls apart, the more you dive it, the sooner it will. Then get a BP/W. :wink:

I would dive your new rig just as you have it and let time and experiance dictate changes. In time you will come to understand why some of us do not like those and perhaps why some do absolutely love them and the changes you make will suit you--not us. Dive it 'till it turns into a rag and is thread bare with little poly balls.

N

Can you be a little more specific about the high pressure hose getting underneath the lever and triggering it to add air?

Something just doesn't make sense? :confused::confused::confused:

He had his computer on a retractor clipped to the ring just forward of the left side weight pouch. This routed his hose beneath the lever. Apparently, sometimes when he'd move, the hose would lift the lever.

I realized why some people got so twisted up when I mentioned about descending head first or at least putting your head at the front of your direction of travel, and that is because with big bulky jacket style BC's, doing this type of manuever would be very difficult. It's almost like jacket BC's where invented for elevator diving, vertical feet first down, vertical head first up, pump that sucker up on the surface and bob around like a big buoy. That big 'ol thing flopping all around on your body, don't make any quick moves underwater or you might be wearing it backwards! Then there's the kelp crawl with one of those things on, oh yeah! just wonderfull.
The new weight integrated ones make it even worse for head down diving because having all the weight in your BC would mean that the unit would want to pull itself down off your body if you were in an inverted position. Yes, I now remember why I hated that worthless Black Diamond, good for nothing, it wasn't a good recreational BC and it would never have worked for tech diving even though they claimed it would, yeah right!

Think I'm full of it? OK, here ya go, I've got a test for you.
The next time you are freediving in a pool or anywhere for that matter, streamline your body the absolute best you can so you feel the absolute minimum resistance as you glide along underwater. After you have achieved what you would consider an ultimate slipstream put your hand out from your side and see what it does to your performance. Multiply this by about 20 and you have a jacket BC.

So I guess now the industry standard is having people trudging around in over stuffed bulky jacket BC's, overweighted because you have to be to make it work, trying to go along with their bodies at a 45 degree angle to the direction of travel instead of lined up straight to the direction of travel, using a pair of fins that were invented for people who bicycle kick and don't have the proper leg muscles developed to use regular fins. But the dive shop told them that those new fins are so light and work so well and you feel very little resistance when you kick with them, but then sold them a pair of ankle weights to use with them?????
On top of that the standard instruction to a beach entry is to make these overweighted sausages put their fins on 30 feet from the beach then make them interlock arms and waddle down to the water so that they are good and exhausted by the time they get into the surf. Then the next wave comes in and takes them out, they get rolled around in the surf for a while till somebody goes over and helps them. I sometimes wonder if the instuctors do this just for amusement?
Then at the end of the class they get a hand shake and a "Have fun and good luck". So I guess when they go out on their own and get rolled in the surf their supposed to magically get the training from somewhere?
Why don't they have them just walk into to the water waist high and put on their fins like everyone else? It's so simple. Actually I feel really sorry for the students because they are all great people and are so full of enthusiasm but are unknowing. I hate to see them become such a spectacle.

There were comments about seeing tech divers at Breakwater diving with all their doubles and stages trying to look cool. What do they need all that crap for just to do a simple recreation profile you ask.

Answer: they are probably doing training themselves for the next step in their program. The reason they don't give you the time of day is because they are centered and concentrating on the skills they must perform during their session weather it be valve drills, shooting bags, running lines, etc. I really don't think they could give a rip about what people think they are thinking about them.

"I think you are thinking way to much into what they might be thinking about you because chances are they are only thinking about what they should be thinking about and that would be not worrying about what you are thinking."

All of this of course is only my personal opinion.

On top of that the standard instruction to a beach entry is to make these overweighted sausages put their fins on 30 feet from the beach then make them interlock arms and waddle down to the water so that they are good and exhausted by the time they get into the surf. Then the next wave comes in and takes them out, they get rolled around in the surf for a while till somebody goes over and helps them. I sometimes wonder if the instructors do this just for amusement?

That is just such a hilarious image, and I guess I should feel bad because I am one of the noob divers. But oh well, you made my morning :dork2:

Hey there,

I've been reading the reviews of the BC and folks seem to love it. Scubadving mag gave it top marks.

Here's my question -- is there any way to hook up a scub-alert air horn without adding a secondary inflator? ON standard BCs it goes between the LP hose and the inflator. I really like the safety factor -- that horn is audible on Mars.

Thanks for shedding some light on an otherwise surprisingly dumb series of comments!

Here's my question -- is there any way to hook up a scub-alert air horn without adding a secondary inflator? ON standard BCs it goes between the LP hose and the inflator. I really like the safety factor -- that horn is audible on Mars.
Maybe you could attach it onto a spair air.

I realized why some people got so twisted up when I mentioned about descending head first or at least putting your head at the front of your direction of travel, and that is because with big bulky jacket style BC's, doing this type of manuever would be very difficult. It's almost like jacket BC's where invented for elevator diving, vertical feet first down, vertical head first up, pump that sucker up on the surface and bob around like a big buoy. That big 'ol thing flopping all around on your body, don't make any quick moves underwater or you might be wearing it backwards! Then there's the kelp crawl with one of those things on, oh yeah! just wonderfull.
The new weight integrated ones make it even worse for head down diving because having all the weight in your BC would mean that the unit would want to pull itself down off your body if you were in an inverted position. Yes, I now remember why I hated that worthless Black Diamond, good for nothing, it wasn't a good recreational BC and it would never have worked for tech diving even though they claimed it would, yeah right!

Think I'm full of it? OK, here ya go, I've got a test for you.
The next time you are freediving in a pool or anywhere for that matter, streamline your body the absolute best you can so you feel the absolute minimum resistance as you glide along underwater. After you have achieved what you would consider an ultimate slipstream put your hand out from your side and see what it does to your performance. Multiply this by about 20 and you have a jacket BC.

So I guess now the industry standard is having people trudging around in over stuffed bulky jacket BC's, overweighted because you have to be to make it work, trying to go along with their bodies at a 45 degree angle to the direction of travel instead of lined up straight to the direction of travel, using a pair of fins that were invented for people who bicycle kick and don't have the proper leg muscles developed to use regular fins. But the dive shop told them that those new fins are so light and work so well and you feel very little resistance when you kick with them, but then sold them a pair of ankle weights to use with them?????
On top of that the standard instruction to a beach entry is to make these overweighted sausages put their fins on 30 feet from the beach then make them interlock arms and waddle down to the water so that they are good and exhausted by the time they get into the surf. Then the next wave comes in and takes them out, they get rolled around in the surf for a while till somebody goes over and helps them. I sometimes wonder if the instuctors do this just for amusement?
Then at the end of the class they get a hand shake and a "Have fun and good luck". So I guess when they go out on their own and get rolled in the surf their supposed to magically get the training from somewhere?
Why don't they have them just walk into to the water waist high and put on their fins like everyone else? It's so simple. Actually I feel really sorry for the students because they are all great people and are so full of enthusiasm but are unknowing. I hate to see them become such a spectacle.

There were comments about seeing tech divers at Breakwater diving with all their doubles and stages trying to look cool. What do they need all that crap for just to do a simple recreation profile you ask.

Answer: they are probably doing training themselves for the next step in their program. The reason they don't give you the time of day is because they are centered and concentrating on the skills they must perform during their session weather it be valve drills, shooting bags, running lines, etc. I really don't think they could give a rip about what people think they are thinking about them.

"I think you are thinking way to much into what they might be thinking about you because chances are they are only thinking about what they should be thinking about and that would be not worrying about what you are thinking."

All of this of course is only my personal opinion.

ZKY, I love you:blinking:.

Hey, talk about waddling down the shore, nope, not anymore, what with your elevator poodle jacket with push button automatic transmission you got your new flip up fins! Yep, they are best, I saw it in a scuba magazine so it must be true. Avi says, "always put your fins on first." Yeah, the fins flip up so you can hike in them, they also double for ice hockey shin protecotrs--dual purpose you know. Maximum buffoonery and minimum performance.

N

He had his computer on a retractor clipped to the ring just forward of the left side weight pouch. This routed his hose beneath the lever. Apparently, sometimes when he'd move, the hose would lift the lever.

That still doesn't make sense, the PRO QD not the i3 has 6 steel D-rings. Marketing made a mistake saying that the i3 had also 6 D rings. They don't have 6 but only 5, as one was ommited when they designed the placement of the i3 lever.

The proximity of D ring to i3 lever is no where possible for error with a retractor. The closest D ring is on the left side of the jacket above the pocket. Even with a retractor it would not pull anywhere near the bottom lever on the i3.

You would have to have it dangle with no clip so it can hook onto the lever; now tell me what Diver would do that?

Mike
p.s
If you are referring to the plastic ring in front of the lever your friend is nuts to be using that. The plastic ring that I speak about is for holding the bc in place when you slide in your integrated pockets. They clearly state not to hook anything on them other than holding them just before you build leverage to slide in your integrated weights.

As quoted:

Now lets not get carried away with idealism; we have a champion of divers on Missions.... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom