BCD smells like old tent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What would you use to clean a BCD that smells like an old tent? Came to me used in a stinky bag. Already soaked it in McNett Mirazyme odor eliminator.

outside smells or inside smells?
I'd just go dive it a couple times, maybe dive in a pool then the ocean and that should do it. Internals will be hard, but rinsing with pool water and getting a good slosh in there and then taking the valves off and putting a fan or hair dryer in one of them on cold to keep air moving for a couple days should help

I usually use my swimming pool water, as it's full of chlorine. Then I'd remove the inflator hose and any dump valves you can and get it good and dry. If you use a hair dryer, make sure the heater part is turned off.

I had bought an old BC and it smelled pretty musty/moldy. I cleaned it with only water and let it air out, hanging off a chair. It's been about three months and the smell is only detectable if you put your nose practically on it.

I've had that before it's probably mildew.

Got to watch the chlorine it can do it's own damage.

Sunlight can burn out the mold but don't overdo leaving it outside either.

I had bought an old BC and it smelled pretty musty/moldy. It's been about three months and the smell is only detectable if you put your nose practically on it.

I love doing that.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom