Zeagle BCD Ranger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graff

Registered
Reaction score
I came across another piece of dive equipment I know nothing about. Figured I'd check in here again and hear your thoughts. Is this a good piece of equipment? How old is it? What's it worth? Looks clean and doesn't smell. I don't have any way to test it but if there's something to look for that breaks that can be seen visibly maybe I can check it out?

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0030.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg

DSCN0044.jpg

Thanks,
Graff

First, I would inflate it fully and let it sit undisturbed for a bit to see if there is any leakage. I owned and used a Ranger many years ago, but switched to something else. For me anyway, it seemed to have a lot of inherent positive buoyancy, which needed extra lead to overcome. It seemed overly bulky, and I don't like the "Ripcord" weight release system. On the positive side, it seems to be extremely well made, and durable. This is, of course, just my opinion. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm sure there are some current, happy Ranger users out there. Hopefully they can provide more info as to the age, value etc. If it holds air, and you want to use it, you could take it by your LDS for an inspection and service. They can do a more detailed inspection to make sure everything is working properly. Zeagle definitely makes a quality product. My wife has been using a Zena for about 14 years and we just had Zeagle update it and replace the old aircell/ inflator. Cost was around 200.00, but, she loves the BC and that is way less expensive than buying a new one.

The Ranger is a nice BC........especially for cold water diving. Lots of lift and weighting capabilities, storage, d-rings, dual tank straps, rear trim pockets, etc. I'd recommend getting that Air 2 (or whatever Zeagle calls it) checked out before diving it. Or......just remove it and go with a standard inflator.

Zeagle Ranger is very nice BCD. As noted it has inherent buoyancy and is a bit bulky. However, it is very very comfortable. I liked the rip cord system.

First, I would inflate it fully and let it sit undisturbed for a bit to see if there is any leakage. I owned and used a Ranger many years ago, but switched to something else. For me anyway, it seemed to have a lot of inherent positive buoyancy, which needed extra lead to overcome. It seemed overly bulky, and I don't like the "Ripcord" weight release system. On the positive side, it seems to be extremely well made, and durable. This is, of course, just my opinion. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm sure there are some current, happy Ranger users out there. Hopefully they can provide more info as to the age, value etc. If it holds air, and you want to use it, you could take it by your LDS for an inspection and service. They can do a more detailed inspection to make sure everything is working properly. Zeagle definitely makes a quality product. My wife has been using a Zena for about 14 years and we just had Zeagle update it and replace the old aircell/ inflator. Cost was around 200.00, but, she loves the BC and that is way less expensive than buying a new one.
Thank you! For inflation, do I need a scuba tank? I could go to Diver Dan's but I don't really want to spend money on this as I think whoever intends to use it should have it serviced themselves so they know for sure.

The Ranger is a nice BC........especially for cold water diving. Lots of lift and weighting capabilities, storage, d-rings, dual tank straps, rear trim pockets, etc. I'd recommend getting that Air 2 (or whatever Zeagle calls it) checked out before diving it. Or......just remove it and go with a standard inflator.
Thank you! Do you have any idea how old it is? What is the Air 2? The bag that holds the pressure inside?

Zeagle Ranger is very nice BCD. As noted it has inherent buoyancy and is a bit bulky. However, it is very very comfortable. I liked the rip cord system.
Thank you! This does seem like a nice piece of kit. Is the rip cord system something that can be tested without a scuba tank?

You should be able to inflate it by mouth by holding down the botton on the inflator and blowing into it. I assume it would the gray one, with the other larger one being the purge button for the regulator. What are you looking to do with it? Are you currently certified?

Thank you! Do you have any idea how old it is? What is the Air 2? The bag that holds the pressure inside?
The Air 2 is basically an alternate 2nd Stage / Octo that is integrated into the BC inflator hose mechanism. There are mixed opinions here on SB on the use and effectiveness of this function. No offense intended......but if you are asking this question then I would recommend that you to seek advice and evaluation from a qualified shop / instructor before proceeding with this decision and this purchase.

You should be able to inflate it by mouth by holding down the botton on the inflator and blowing into it. I assume it would the gray one, with the other larger one being the purge button for the regulator. What are you looking to do with it? Are you currently certified?
Thank you! I blew in the mouthpiece while holding down the large button and it inflated! There's no check valve though if that's normal. The small button seems to just release air and doesn't allow for air to come in to the bladder when blowing on the mouthpiece. The ripcords release air too. I'm just looking to sell it; keep it out of the landfill. Scuba diving looks like a lot of fun but it's not for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom