BCD Manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for Zeagle BCDs.
Made in the USA
Life time warranty
Bought mine in 94' only had one issue with it in 2009 so I sent it to Zeagle and it was taken care of under warranty. It has 100's of pool dives, over 1200 salt water dives, both rec and tech. Still going strong.

+1 for Zeagle
Only been diving it for 3 years, but I love the versatilty, durability, and made in the USA!

Ah! The Zeagluvs have arrived!

All joking aside, I picked up a used Oceanic Chute 3 with a broken strap. The stitching ripped. However, I'm sure it's just one of those rare occurrences where something does indeed break, despite a good manufacturing process.

Another vote for Zeagle. I have only one dive on a new Zeagle Stiletto thus far, but sooo much better than the crappy rentals (Aeris sport and a TUSA)was using for OW cert classes. After only one dive my trim is better and more comfortable in the water.

Spent hours online here at Scubaboard researching BC's. Went with Stiletto as great travel BC but enough lift for cold water diving in 7 mm full wetsuit. Was originally going to buy Aeris 5 Ocean's BC because of rave review's in Scuba Diving Magazine. After comparing the two, nearly identical dry weight, and was able to try on for fit at LDS. Couldn't find a local shop to try on 5 oceans.

DSS produces, in Pasadena California, USA:

Backplates and related hardware.

Wings, RF welded bladders and injection molded goods. At this point we have produced over 40 injection molds for scuba related items.

We also build our own injection molds, RF welding dies and other related production and assembly fixtures.

We use domestic sources for materials whenever possible.

(Some raw materials are sadly no longer available from domestic sources, but we support every domestic source we can)

Tobin

As many have observed, this is very subjective. Most major manufacturers make very serviceable gear, and your mileage will vary. As for my own experience and preference, and have the most dives and the most affection for a pair of ScubaPro Classic BCs, the oldest of which was purchased in 95 and did 300+ dives a year until 2000 without issue. In that time, I also had a few different Mares BCs which were fine, but seemed to show "wear" quicker than the ScubaPro. I also had a ScubaPro adjustable (can't remember the name) that also seemed to show wear quickly. Since 2003, my most frequent use has been on a Zeagle Ranger. It also has performed perfectly, and shows no wear, but I don't like it as well the the ScubaPro Classic.

I had the good fortune to dive Richie Kohler's Poseidon BeaSea rig during a film shoot and absolutely loved that BC. It was the most comfortable and stable thing I've ever worn. That would be my next purchase, but the Zeagle and ScubaPros won't wear out so I can't justify the spend.

I hope that helps!

FWIW, here's a video that shows the design, testing, and manufacturing process for Aqualung BCs:
YouTube - How BCs are Made

(No, I don't work for them, or any other scuba company...)

Last edited:
I'm a new diver, but I bought all of my gear with quality and being American made in mind right down to my travel bag. The only exception would be my Scuba Pro Seawing Nova fins, which I'm sure are Chinese manufactured. With that in mind I bought a Zeagle Stilleto and I couldn't be happier. Not to mention my dive profile, buoyancy control, and overall comfort have far exceeded the rental Scuba Pro Seahawk bcd I used in my OW course.

I'm a new diver, but I bought all of my gear with quality and being American made in mind right down to my travel bag. The only exception would be my Scuba Pro Seawing Nova fins, which I'm sure are Chinese manufactured. With that in mind I bought a Zeagle Stilleto and I couldn't be happier. Not to mention my dive profile, buoyancy control, and overall comfort have far exceeded the rental Scuba Pro Seahawk bcd I used in my OW course.

My Seawing Novas are made In South Africa.

Back
Top Bottom