BCD Life Expectancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first bc was a seaquest jacket I bought in '80, served well until 2001/02 season when bladder went and SQ no longer had replacement bladders left on shelf. As I wasnt' diving much at time I waited till 2006 to replace it with SQ ProQD which I had tried out the year before(borrowed a buddys) and am expecting to enjoy it for a least a couple of decades as well. But if you want another, I say go buy one, then you can always have a 'loaner' till your oldest model gives up the ghost.

Ohhh, so That's where you were going. Okay, try this answer. Print it out even.
You MUST Always buy new gear. For God sakes, man, do you want to be the only kid at he playground without the bestest newest technology? And now that new prettier stuff is out there, yours may fail at any second.

And remember, when choosing gear, the most important thing to consider is- Color. And if you mismatch, you MUST buy new gear to match the new piece. Okay? Go forth and conquer.

Zen, Bless you, my friend!:D

Bob, I agree about lasting a lfetime with care. Some folks don't care for their stuff, and it boggles my mind how they can be that way with life support equipment!

NadMAt, Yes, Yes. A loaner! That's why I need to buy a new one when my old one is perfectly fine, albeit a bit faded and frayed. Heck, my nephew is a new diver and the Balance might fit him...

Man, you folks can sure help a guy justify spending money! Just call it the DiveSergeant stimulus opackage...:rofl3:

Now, as long as Mrs DS hasn't got a signon for the forum, I think I might be able to get away with the whole thing.

DS

Ten years sounds pretty good to me..... as for an excuse for getting new BCs, how about the Surelock integrated weight system on the new Seaquests?????? Still diving with a weight belt?

Ten years sounds pretty good to me..... as for an excuse for getting new BCs, how about the Surelock integrated weight system on the new Seaquests?????? Still diving with a weight belt?

We have the old-style integrated weights; held in place by Velcro-style hook and loop stuff. It's working well so far, with no lost weights or anything, but we can feel the Velcro losing its holding power.

Mrs DS tried on the new Divas with the new locking system at our LDS. While improvements are always cool, they have pretty much ruined the BCD by making it way too bulky. Mrs DS said that with the interlock devices it felt like she had arm rests on the side of her BC!

I think my excuse for a new BCD will be weight savings with one of Tobin's Deep Sea Supply kydex backplate/harness systems. As for Mrs DS, since when does a girl need an excuse to spend money:rofl3:.

DS

Ohhh, so That's where you were going. Okay, try this answer. Print it out even.
You MUST Always buy new gear. For God sakes, man, do you want to be the only kid at he playground without the bestest newest technology? And now that new prettier stuff is out there, yours may fail at any second.

And remember, when choosing gear, the most important thing to consider is- Color. And if you mismatch, you MUST buy new gear to match the new piece. Okay? Go forth and conquer.

Quoted for truth...LOL:D:rofl3:

OK, we've established my actual need for new stuff. Now, Mrs DS wants to know if we can take up a colection for the purchase of said stuff. Sigh!

Seriously, thanks to everyone for the input.

Happy Diving,
DS

My current BCD is showing signs of wear, but I've used it for over 1,500 dives. I've got a brand new one ready and waiting for this one to fall apart. I give it another 300-500 dives.

Back
Top Bottom