BCD Life Expectancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

Does anyone know how long we should expect a BCD to last?

Ours (Seaquest Diva for Mrs DS, Seaquest Balance for me) are ten years old. They're hanging in there, but the velcro on the weight pockets is weakening and there is starting to develop some fraying on the edges.

The variables are;

About two weeks worth of Caribbean diving/year. (Wish it was more!)

Pre-trip UV protection with 303 Protectant. (www.303-products.com)

Good, frequent rinsing during the dive trips.

Thorough post-trip interior rinsing, cleaning with BC life, and re-rinsing.

Thorough post-trip outside cleaning with BC life and treatment with 303 Protectant

Storage in cool, dry, basement on BCD hangars.

Naturally, it'd be great to have them last forever since we love them, but, alas, they won't. Besides, it's cool to buy new dive kit, so an excuse to spend the dinero is always welcome, too.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

DS

How long they last is really about care and feeding. I think in all likelihood you can probably get a few more years out of the ones you've got. Velcro does tend to lose its bite over time, but it can be replaced if necessary. I've had a zeagle BC since 1994 and I'm still diving it! For a while, it was getting 60-80 beach dives a year. Now not so much, more like 30 per year, but still holding up! My old zeagle doesn't have any velcro, just buckles, and I've had to repair the bladder a couple times, but it's 14 years and still going! And get this, I bought it used! :)

As long as you take care of it properly (as you have listed it), any gear can last for years. I've had the same gear since 1997, and am just now replacing all of slowly because I want to. I've still got it all for backup gear when I need it, or to use in a pool when helping in training.

Hi All,

Ours (Seaquest Diva for Mrs DS, Seaquest Balance for me) are ten years old. They're hanging in there, but the velcro on the weight pockets is weakening and there is starting to develop some fraying on the edges.

DS

I had a Seaquest bc that had the same fraying problem with the velcro weight pockets. I discovered a local tailor shop that would sew velcro onto canvas and has them replace the velcro on the bc and the pocket. It worked well. I ended up getting a new seaquest as the old one just wore out and the new one (same model) was 40 percent off at the LDS

I had a Seaquest bc that had the same fraying problem with the velcro weight pockets. I discovered a local tailor shop that would sew velcro onto canvas and has them replace the velcro on the bc and the pocket. It worked well. I ended up getting a new seaquest as the old one just wore out and the new one (same model) was 40 percent off at the LDS

Upholstery shops and sail makers can provide the same service.

Thanks for the responses. The idea of replacing the velcro at a tailor, upholsterer or sail-maker is a good one.

I guess I kind of figured that the life expectancy would depend on the care, but was subconsciously hoping for justification to buy new stuff!

Maybe I can spend the money upgrading to a hoseless air-integrated computer... Hmmm, fodder for a new thread...

Thanks again,
DS

Really, you also want to look at how much of the BC you are buying can be parted or replaced. I mean, with some, if you tear or wear out part, you have to start new.
That's what made me get a Zeagle 15 years ago. I replaced shoulder straps and bladders, and a broken buckle. I sewed the seams on the outside covers when they frayed and separated. All good. I got a new one two years ago, because I wanted it, not because I needed it.

Maintain your equipment, wash it immiadely after every use, keep it in an even climate room (not the shed or the garage). Have it serviced when you should, and replece parts as they need it. If it is good quality, you should never have to get new stuff, unless you just feel like.

Maintain your equipment, wash it immiadely after every use, keep it in an even climate room (not the shed or the garage). Have it serviced when you should, and replece parts as they need it. If it is good quality, you should never have to get new stuff, unless you just feel like.

ZenDiver.3D,

Roger that! I'm kind of obsessive about maintaining equipment on which my life might depend, so it gets pampered. The problem, of course, is that being that way makes it hard to justify buying new kit, since the old stuff is still good!

Thanks,
DS

ZenDiver.3D,

Roger that! I'm kind of obsessive about maintaining equipment on which my life might depend, so it gets pampered. The problem, of course, is that being that way makes it hard to justify buying new kit, since the old stuff is still good!

Thanks,
DS

Ohhh, so That's where you were going. Okay, try this answer. Print it out even.
You MUST Always buy new gear. For God sakes, man, do you want to be the only kid at he playground without the bestest newest technology? And now that new prettier stuff is out there, yours may fail at any second.

And remember, when choosing gear, the most important thing to consider is- Color. And if you mismatch, you MUST buy new gear to match the new piece. Okay? Go forth and conquer.

Hi All,

The variables are;

About two weeks worth of Caribbean diving/year. (Wish it was more!)

Pre-trip UV protection with 303 Protectant. (www.303-products.com)

Good, frequent rinsing during the dive trips.

Thorough post-trip interior rinsing, cleaning with BC life, and re-rinsing.

Thorough post-trip outside cleaning with BC life and treatment with 303 Protectant

Storage in cool, dry, basement on BCD hangars.

Naturally, it'd be great to have them last forever since we love them, but, alas, they won't. Besides, it's cool to buy new dive kit, so an excuse to spend the dinero is always welcome, too.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

DS

My son in law is still using my Scubapro BC that I bought in 1979. My daughter dives the MK 10 I bought to go along with that jacket. BTW, SP still supports the MK 10. With proper care, good gear should last a lifetime. :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom