BCD for petite women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@LadySilk

If you are on Facebook, look for the Girls that Scuba group. It is very international and there are many posts on sizing of gear, and many women have the same issues you have (needing very small sizes). Very good group.

Thanks, I have a facebook, group's name is Scuba? I will check:)

My advice. If at all possible try it on. Fit is the key here. and the only way to truely know is to try it on. There are so many great BCD’s out there and they all function well.

My advice. If at all possible try it on. Fit is the key here. and the only way to truely know is to try it on. There are so many great BCD’s out there and they all function well.

Thanks , I think so, I will travel this weekend to a big city with shops and try them, where I live is a small seaside town so no shops here so I needed to plan ahead.

Try a back inflation style BC before you buy. You don’t have to go backplate and wing, there are also back inflate style recreational BC that a scuba shop would not mind an instructor in. I am petite and I would not want that bladder wrapped around me, it is so bulky and confining. Even more so if I were teaching and had to bring extra stuff. We little gals do not have the space on our waist to give to a bulky bladder. It also is not as good for trim. I literally just cut apart a jacket style BC I had to get a plastic plate inside. I cut up the bladder and threw it away. That’s how much I dislike them and this is a widespread opinion on Scubaboard.

Try a back inflation style BC before you buy. You don’t have to go backplate and wing, there are also back inflate style recreational BC that a scuba shop would not mind an instructor in. I am petite and I would not want that bladder wrapped around me, it is so bulky and confining. Even more so if I were teaching and had to bring extra stuff. We little gals do not have the space on our waist to give to a bulky bladder. It also is not as good for trim. I literally just cut apart a jacket style BC I had to get a plastic plate inside. I cut up the bladder and threw it away. That’s how much I dislike them and this is a widespread opinion on Scubaboard.
Definetely I agree, being an instructor is an just a goal, I will know by the end of this summer hopefully .
But I totally agree with confining and bulky part...
Thanks a lot :)

@LadySilk since you are petite you have to think harder about this. As I’m sure you know most things in this world are designed for male strength and male size and often things supposedly designed for women are even worse because some guy designed them imagining what it’s like to be a woman or putting something stupid in that they think is sexy like a built in neoprene bra on a BC. Listen to other petite women divers and think for yourself and try before you buy and don’t let people sell you on stuff you aren’t comfortable in.

@LadySilk since you are petite you have to think harder about this. As I’m sure you know most things in this world are designed for male strength and male size and often things supposedly designed for women are even worse because some guy designed them imagining what it’s like to be a woman or putting something stupid in that they think is sexy like a built in neoprene bra on a BC. Listen to other petite women divers and think for yourself and try before you buy and don’t let people sell you on stuff you aren’t comfortable in.
Yes , I totally agree ,and forget about understanding the needs, they totally can not imagine what it is like to be woman.... Btw is there really something like built in noepren bra, it is hilarous even if does not exist totally what they would do... Pink with built in bra perfect for women comfort ...

The thing why I am considering with this Tusa jasmine is it is half the price (not from a shop a couple bought for friend and it was too small so brand new and selling it) and I am really tired of non-fitting big rental bcd. And it is a good choice about my budget. I was considering the back inflate / wing style bcd's like scubapro ladyhawk but the price is more than 3 times, thats why I am confused. I have never owned a bcd. I want it to last but if I wanted to buy more expensive one I need to wait and use rental bcd for a while too. So it is hard to decide. As you have said , it is very bulky and confining I can not agree more, but with rental bcd's it is sometimes really hard. So I was thinking why not buy this because it is really good deal and you can buy another always when I have the necessary budget.

Back
Top Bottom