Brand Advice for BCD/Regulators/Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having the second depth reading wouldn't worry you for any situation where the computer fails and cannot give you depth? Or is this one of those situations where you would push reliance to your buddy to help safely finish the ascent?

They did not have any wing that I saw. They explained that people move to wing BCDs when they are seeking to either go for lightweight travel or have something specific moving them that direction.
1. Do not rely on another one to bail you out.
2. Plan ahead. I dive with TWO entry level computers and also carry a SMB with spool. The line on the spool is permanently mark at 6 and 9m.
3. The shop does not sell BP/W so you should take any -ve comment with a large pinch of salt.
4. I have not seen any dive operator offering BP/W for rental/training except for tec dive. So most if not all beginner divers would have no knowledge on it.
5. Unfortunately buying the first BP/W is NOT that straight forward for a beginner. You really need a good guidance on the topic. There are a lot of posts on BP/W in SB so look it up.

If in doubt just come back and raise the question and you will receive plenty of good advice/suggestion etc etc.
Just do not rush out and buy by impulse.

The reg package atomic seems fine. I dive atomic regs and love them. There is no need for a depth gauge, that’s what the computer is. I would get a simple SPG (2 or 2.5 inch brass and glass) that should be about $80, brand does not matter, I think they are all made in the same Italian factory. A 2nd Z2 2nd stage is about $200. If it were me I would spend the extra ~$100 for a real 2nd stage.
I dive a BP and wing and am biased and will own that. I have no issue with a shop pushing what they sell, that’s business. Do they sell BP/W, do they have one in stock? If not is them steering you away their biases, are they pushing inventory they have money tied up in ?
Get the Shearwater.
$769 for a Z2 package with 2 Z2 and stages and a SPG. I bet you local shop would match the price.
Z2 Single Tank Package

They have a 5% off for 1k spent and 10% off for 2k spent deal they run. Is a $150 Zeagle octo that bad?

Welcome to the learning cure of scuba diving. The ear issue is important. There has been some great advice already shared. If you can close your nares together gently and exhale GENTLY against the resistance you should feel or sense your ears "pop" and clear. As you progress in your diving you'll be able just to push your mask against your face and do the same exercise. This ability is important to be able to execute within the first 15 feet of decent. Getting your Eustachian tubes open and clear is the key to avoiding inner ear issues which can be the result of unreleased or "equalized" pressure build up in your inner ear. You can always get a medial opinion from an ear, nose and throat(ENT) Doctor.
AS to your question about BCD. Their primary purpose of a BCD is to provide flotation and to assist maintain neutral buoyancy at depth. Essentially all BCD's provide that capacity. The key variable( and again, this just my opinion, based upon my experience), is your ability to work all of the functions of the BCD without looking at the components. This means being able to find and use the inflator hose by touch. The ability to find by touch, all pockets and access equipment without looking at them/ it). Equally important is the ease of returning or replacing equipment on the BCD with touch alone.
I've gone through four, maybe five BCD evolutions. I started diving with a horse collar, moved to an Atpak, moved to a Scubapro stab jacket, moved to a zeagle ranger, moved to a plate and inter-changeable bladders and now a simple plate and harness and minimalist bladder. Welcome to the adventure. And, don't skip those deco stops.

They have a 5% off for 1k spent and 10% off for 2k spent deal they run. Is a $150 Zeagle octo that bad?
By no means is it a bad regulator, but for just a little more you get a regulator that is exactly the same as your primary, and argument could be made that this is better. All your parts kits for your regulators will be the same and if you need to have them serviced somewhere else for some reason they would only need to stock the atomic parts

By no means is it a bad regulator, but for just a little more you get a regulator that is exactly the same as your primary, and argument could be made that this is better. All your parts kits for your regulators will be the same and if you need to have them serviced somewhere else for some reason they would only need to stock the atomic parts
Yeah initially I was thinking about just doubling up on the Z2 if the atomic they let me rent next week breathes good. I was going to see if I could do an Atomic 1st stage, then a Z2 primary and a Zeagle (just in case for some reason I wind up liking it + to give me an idea of if it would be a good octo). I need to do some research on BCDs a bit further too since they only sell Zeagles and Atomics. My thinking is I couldn't see myself in a wing setup before I understand specifically what I need from my BCD.

You seem to be in S Fl, there are more dive shops around there than probably anywhere else in the country. This works in your favor, be loyal that’s great but don’t be so blindly. Look around, know your getting a good deal not just because your getting “ 5 or 10% off”. Dive Gear Express is down there and they can certainly show you a backplate and wing. My guess would be for shops to survive and be competitive down there things will be priced reasonably

You seem to be in S Fl, there are more dive shops around there than probably anywhere else in the country. This works in your favor, be loyal that’s great but don’t be so blindly. Look around, know your getting a good deal not just because your getting “ 5 or 10% off”. Dive Gear Express is down there and they can certainly show you a backplate and wing. My guess would be for shops to survive and be competitive down there things will be priced reasonably
Yeah I've done some price checking, the shop I will be renting from next week is priced right around the other shops. They actually sell some of their computers cheaper than the other dealers, like Dive Express quotes $495 for the Peregrine and the shop by me quotes $450. They are an authorized reseller of Zeagle/Shearwater/etc. Of course I've also been on sites like scuba.com and looked through sale prices.

Yeah I've done some price checking, the shop I will be renting from next week is priced right around the other shops. They actually sell some of their computers cheaper than a try the other dealers, like Dive Express quotes $495 for the Peregrine and the shop by me quotes $450. They are an authorized reseller of Zeagle/Shearwater/etc. Of course I've also been on sites like scuba.com and looked through sale prices.
Keep in mind there is MAP, minimum advertised price, so DGX can’t list it for lower than $495, you may find that in person like at your shop things are different, or not. Regardless of what you decide have fun and dive safe

Both zeagle and atomic are fabulous regs. I've never owned atomic but know several who do. I used to dive flathead V and I tried a friend's atomic. Both breath great. You can't go wrong with either.

I used to dive a zeagle ranger it's a great BC, I switched to BPW just because it suited my style of diving better. That is 100 percent personal preference.

Again go to other shops and rent for a bit, try things out see what SUITS YOU BEST. Then buy that.

Back
Top Bottom