BCD and Reg Recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend at least trying on a Zeagle Zena if you haven't already. It made such a big difference for me that it was my first big gear purchase. The corset setup holds the BC securely in place, so it won't ride up around your shoulders. I prefer the integrated weights to a weight belt too. And if you get it from a good dive shop they can custom fit it to you. I ended up with XS shoulders, and a medium size for the other two parts. (I usually wear size L.) Plus my favorite color on the corset, all for no extra charge. I put it in the expensive but worth it category.

Our regs are the Zeagle Onyx. They do come in a cold water version. They're pricey, but we got a good deal on them. They breathe effortlessly. We've fiddled with the tuning a bit already, and they free flow easily because they're so sensitive. I would put them in the sports car category so far - great performance but a bit touchy. Oh, and they are very pretty.

Our octos are the Aqualung ABS. No complaints about those. They breathe well, even when upside down. They're nice and compact too,

Definitely try stuff in the water before you buy it if you can, and also do you first dive with new gear in a pool if you can. We got tripped up by our new gear for the first hour or two, and it was great to have someone from the shop around to help us figure it out.

Wow! Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions!

Elizabeth

My thoughts. The bc should come behind the regs. Regs are none subjective. (Read the test stats). BCD's on the other hand are about the most personal piece of gear yyou'll own.
Some will tell you to buy BC first so you can "learn" and compensate for it's anomalies.
I say try as many as you are able and find the one best suited for you, your diving style and your physiology.

Elizabeth...If you like minimalist, a BP&W is pretty hard to beat and takes very little room in suitcases. My GF and I both use Zeagle Express Tech with crotch strap...me with a 30lbs donut Wing and her, 35 lbs horseshoe and we both love it.

Regs...many good brands out there. My GF has been using a Mares Abyss for three years now without any problem whatsoever. For single tank, I use a Sherwood SR1 and i have the maintenance done in Montreal. Lately, I purchased two HOg Regs for my stage bottles and I am very happy and satisfied with them.

May want to check Scubageek on the net. Located in southern part of Ottawa, he offers many products including HOG/Edge.

After lifting a friend's weight integrated BC and tank over the side of his boat, my buddy Ross said he likes Hitler more than weight integrated BCs. I began diving with a backpack and wing, then switched to jacket BCs for several years. After losing weight pouches twice and having the nylon material rip I went to a steel backplate and wing about thirteen years ago and have been very happy with the choice. I've only had to change the harness once since then.

Elizabeth...If you like minimalist, a BP&W is pretty hard to beat and takes very little room in suitcases. My GF and I both use Zeagle Express Tech with crotch strap...me with a 30lbs donut Wing and her, 35 lbs horseshoe and we both love it.

Regs...many good brands out there. My GF has been using a Mares Abyss for three years now without any problem whatsoever. For single tank, I use a Sherwood SR1 and i have the maintenance done in Montreal. Lately, I purchased two HOg Regs for my stage bottles and I am very happy and satisfied with them.

May want to check Scubageek on the net. Located in southern part of Ottawa, he offers many products including HOG/Edge.

+1 for talking to Mat at scubageek. He is in Richmond.

How about a back inflate BCD? They offer all the comforts of "standard" BC with trim characteristics of BP/W. The lift bladder is behind you and along the tank.

I dive a Zeagle Stiletto. Similar to Zeagle Zena. It has enough lift to dive cold water 7 mm but weighs only 7.2 lbs which is perfect for travel. The harness and cummerbund are also modular to help customize fit. I've taken it to the Caribbean and to Hawaii, packs just fine.

I prefer Atomic regs, start at about $500 for entry level, although just about any reg for that price will do for recreational diving.

I dive a plate/wing setup and love it. I have used several bcds over the years and imo nothing beats a plate and wing. I also have a Zeagle Express Tech and pretty well believe it's the next best thing.

For regulators, I have a somewhat contrarian point of view. I believe HOG is the best choice out there, regardless of where you might find local service. My experience with local service is extemely disappointing and I live in an area where finding a variety of experienced dealers should not be a problem. If I couldn't service my regs myself, I would send them off anyway so local service does not matter to me. ymmv

Surface flotation is the only consideration for me. I never even touch the inflator button underwater.

As for the face plant issue on the surface, I did, indeed, find it to be a problem. I dived a wing for awhile, didn't like it and sold it.

Same here. For the most part if you have your weighting fine tuned, you really never have to use the inflator to put air in. I dove a Scubapro Classic Plus jacket for years and loved it. Never a problem at all with trim and stuff like that. I finally switched over to a Scubapro Seahawk back inflate because I started having shoulder problems and I found the Seahawk just easier to get in to because of the clip design around the shoulder.

But there is no doubt a difference in the way they float you at the surface. It doesn't come any more comfortable than wearing a jacket bc on the surface. While my Seahawk is not a problem for me on the surface, it does tend to push you forward at the surface no matter how the weights are distributed. The fact is, a BP/W can not match the comfort at the surface of a jacket BC. I have seen even the most diehard BP/W users on SB admit that the BP/W does have the "push forward" effect on the surface. But for most folks it's not a big deal because we spend most of our time underwater and not on top.

My advice to the OP is like a lot of others, make sure you try anything before you buy and don't try it for just one dive. Try it for several if you can. I was also a person who tried a BP/W and didn't like them. And as far as regs go, if you want the best get an Atomic reg.

I like things simple. So much so that I bought an Atomic Cobalt computer even though I had a functional dive computer already, to get that great intuitive menu system.

Whenever the subject of backplate/wings comes up (I have never dove one), it seems to me people post about this or that brand back plate, aluminum or stainless steel at that, and this or that wing, this or that harness and 'webbing' (whatever that is), etc... It sounds like BP/W systems are very modular/customizable, and hearing fans talk about them reminds me of hearing 'build your own box' computer users talk about which brands & models of motherboard, video card, sound card, RAM type & hard drive to put into what brand/model chassis hooked to another brand of monitor to build their own 'dream' computer.

Problem: some people aren't geeks. They want 'a computer.' Companies like Apple, Dell, HP and so forth have made a lot of money marketing to these people.

Most jacket style BCDs I see seem pretty idiot simple. You hook the low pressure inflator up, connect your straps/cummerbund across the front, tank's on the back, and you hit the buttons to let air in or out. There will be a dump valve, maybe more than one. And if you REALLY want to push the complexity envelope, there might just be...an option for an Air2 instead of an octopus!

I'm thinking that's why jacket style BCDs are the dominant force in mainstream agency OW classes & subsequently tourist destination charter boat dive op.s.

I've tried to read about BP/W systems, on the forum and at manufacturers' sites; my eyes glaze over and my mind shuts down, basically.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom