BCD and Reg Recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you like simple, there is no bcd i know of that is simpler than a BPW. Except perhaps a BP without the wing.

Problem: some people aren't geeks. They want 'a computer.' Companies like Apple, Dell, HP and so forth have made a lot of money marketing to these people. (snip) I'm thinking that's why jacket style BCDs are the dominant force in mainstream agency OW classes & subsequently tourist destination charter boat dive op.s.

Your analog is good but I'll give you another one. At some point people who really love something what they do (artists, marksmen, carpenters, gamers, software engineers et al ) eventually find themselves in a situation where there needs aren't met by just picking something up off the shelf. It's part of the learning process to understand what works best and how to make it yourself.

For the record I dive a halcyon BP/W, but I get tired myself of reading so many posts that seem to imply that the "really good" divers use a BP/W wing. As I posted earlier I've gone on dives in crappy rental BCs with broken straps and the dive was just fine. And while I prefer my BP/W to my Seaquest Balance BC I don't think it's a night and day difference between the two, they both allow for fun dives. Part of the answer is what your objective in diving is. If you just want to go underwater and see pretty fishes then most anything will do taht you find comfortable.

If you like simple, there is no bcd i know of that is simpler than a BPW. Except perhaps a BP without the wing.

WOW, I could not disagree more. I stared with scubapro glide plus and liked it. I now dive a Zeagle stiletto (and an atomic B-2 regulator). I am spacial perceptionally retarded. This means I graduated magna cum laude with masters degree but barely passed shop in high school (still the hardest class I ever took). Yes I also have trouble with left right .I just don't see things in 3 dimensions very well. For me the restructuring of the backplate/wing system was an ABSOLUTE DEALBREAKER. To say that is simpler than dropping in a couple weights in pockets represents how the world looks to do it yourselfers. Not all of us of that ilk. In response to the inevitable question did I actually try it the answer is YES. If you want to argue the point don't bother. My experience is my experience. Yours is yours. I do want the op to hear from both sides of the fence.

I tell all my students to try out as many bcds' as you can. If your LDS has a pool ask if you can use it to test gear. Personally I prefer back inflation harness type bcds (not back plate). I have used a Dive Rite since 2000 that I use locally, teaching class, and for travel. I have several wings that I can change out quickly for deferent types of diving. Also, I still use a weight belt. I have tried weight integrating and did not like the placement of weight. Its hard to adjust weight trim if you can't move the weight. As far as Regulators go, I dive primarily with a Scubapro (MK 2 first stage and S600 second stage). My Scuba pro is about 10 years old have never had a problem with. I find it breaths as well now as when I first got it. I also have an Apex XTX200 which I use for class and when my Scubapro is getting its annual service. Whatever BCD you buy, make sure it fits, is comfortable and has the features you are looking for. Purchasing a Regulator is pretty easy, make sure you get a balanced Reg and get the highest quality you can afford. All Regs are made pretty much the same, bells and whistles will determine price depending on the manufacturer.

Personal preference and comfort, not the name on the gear should be your guide. Good luck.

FarsideFan1:

I feel your pain, I think. I was a science double-major who hated most of the labs. I'm also one of those people who can't take verbal directions to get somewhere well at all. Yet I live in a world where it seems so many people I meet think that:

1.) THEY are such gifted direction givers that THEIR directions will be easy for me. This segways into point 2.), ...

2.) I couldn't possibly be stupid enough to fail to grasp their 'simple' directions.

3.) My efforts to tell them upfront I can't handle verbal directions so draw a map & write down turn-by-turn instructions are ignored, which is disrespectful.

4.) I get impatient and angry waiting to the ignorant to catch on to how inept I am at some things. It's like I'm trying to convince somebody I'm dumber than he thinks I could possibly be (at some things - it's a good thing I went to college!).

You can guess how I enjoy threads where there seems to be a sentiment if you're not competent at independent navigation you never should've been issued an OW card!!!

I hope to try BP/W someday, mainly because I'm interested in side-mount so I can carry 2 tanks shore diving Bonaire, but trying to get a handle on it from online reading is not going well.

Richard.

I see the Scubapro Stabilizer Jacket or "Classic" as being the simplest BC, especially without the silly weight integration. No straps, adjustments just put it on one buckle and go! They have very high lift capacity and can be used with double tanks, they are the most stable in any position below and on the surface. Build quality is VERY high too. The only thing simpler is a backpack without the BC. A BP/W is 3rd on the simplicity scale as it has Separate plate, harness and bladder which need to be assembled and adjusted. In addition many BP/W users add trim weight.

I see the Scubapro Stabilizer Jacket or "Classic" as being the simplest BC, especially without the silly weight integration.

A BCD without weight integration is not the simplest because then you've got to add a weight belt.

I initially trained with a weight belt, and once I got a weight-integrated BCD there was no going back. As I believe TS&M mentioned in a post or two in other threads, guys who don't have a waist narrower than their hips may have trouble keeping a weight belt on. I certainly did.

Richard.

WOW, I could not disagree more. I stared with scubapro glide plus and liked it. I now dive a Zeagle stiletto (and an atomic B-2 regulator). I am spacial perceptionally retarded. This means I graduated magna cum laude with masters degree but barely passed shop in high school (still the hardest class I ever took). Yes I also have trouble with left right .I just don't see things in 3 dimensions very well. For me the restructuring of the backplate/wing system was an ABSOLUTE DEALBREAKER. To say that is simpler than dropping in a couple weights in pockets represents how the world looks to do it yourselfers. Not all of us of that ilk. In response to the inevitable question did I actually try it the answer is YES. If you want to argue the point don't bother. My experience is my experience. Yours is yours. I do want the op to hear from both sides of the fence.
I can't believe you opened this door.
I started with a simple back pack. No inflatable device of any kind. Then I used a snorkel vest as a rudimentary bc. Next came a sea quest horse collar. After that, the original Scubapro STAB jacket. Then I started diving a Sea quest back inflate. (can't recall what it was called). Then a Zeagle stiletto which I enjoyed it very much. The last six years I've been diving various bpw combinations of my own design. They are quite simple. One piece harness, one buckle and one dump valve. Does not get much simpler.

I admit I did not graduate magna cum laude, but I made the Deans list a few times at Purdue. Not that it should matter in any case.

---------- Post added ----------

I see the Scubapro Stabilizer Jacket or "Classic" as being the simplest BC, especially without the silly weight integration. No straps, adjustments just put it on one buckle and go! They have very high lift capacity and can be used with double tanks, they are the most stable in any position below and on the surface. Build quality is VERY high too. The only thing simpler is a backpack without the BC. A BP/W is 3rd on the simplicity scale as it has Separate plate, harness and bladder which need to be assembled and adjusted. In addition many BP/W users add trim weight.
That would be the classic Sport. I agree. That is about as simple as it gets. Sadly, I don't think Scubapro is still manufacturing them anymore. I keep watching eBay and Craig's list.

I think you have both determined that minimalist = simplicity. I disagree. I think simple to use = simplicity. That's a huge difference. Sure a BP/W is "simpler" by that definition. Till you decide to dive the thing! I congratulate you upon your ability to put stuff together. I wish I shared that ability. As I thought I had made clear, I want the OP to hear from both sides of the fence. Shocking as this may come to you I personally find my weight integrated back inflate zeagle stiletto MUCH simpler to dive with. But that is just me (and perhaps after a trial run the OP may come to a similar conclusion. Fortunately the op now has some serious disagreements to ponder. Thanks for providing your point of view better than I ever could.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom