BCD and Reg Recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are many BP/W wing systems sold as 'complete as is' off the rack systems where you just buy the thing, hook up the tank straps, tank, reg. to tank & low pressure inflator to whatever, stuff your weights in the integrated pockets & go jump in the ocean?

Richard.
Great question. I would expect folks like Jim Lapenta, Tobin George and Dive Right In Scuba to jump in here. All of my rigs have been and are ala carte/ Frienkensteined. But I have learned recently, they are being delivered pre-rigged. (some adjustment is always required at the initial setup. But after that it is slide on and slide off)

Yes, prewebbed has been discussed and that's how I ordered mine. I was working on putting one together back in 2005 before I "retired" from diving. Back then I was certainly piecing it together starting with a custom AL plate I bought off Craigslist.

I suspect as (if/when) BP/W's go more mainstream that they will adjust to the market and be much available as preassembled kits. You'll still have the flexibility of moving things around and changing out components but generally it'll already be done for you.

Similar for Edge/Hog. They say they only market to tech divers and therefore no hoses since tech divers know what hoses they need... and yet they sell a single tank kit with all the right Hog/DIR fixins. That's what I bought because it just makes conversion to the dark side all that easier.

Are many BP/W wing systems sold as 'complete as is' off the rack systems where you just buy the thing, hook up the tank straps, tank, reg. to tank & low pressure inflator to whatever, stuff your weights in the integrated pockets & go jump in the ocean?

Richard.

When I bought my Halycon Eclipse all I had to do was adjust the crotch strap and cut off excess webbing and burn the edge at the waist strap. Once I did that I haven't adjusted anything else, it's just on and off no different than a BC.

I guess I also moved my D rings around, which is something you can't usually do on a BC.

FWIW, I've always heard that a SS BP/W feels fine even without a wetsuit / dive skin but I never wanted to make that claim because I had never tried it.

Well, today I was working on skills in the pool and I decided to go au naturel ( but with swim trunks! ). Sure enough, it felt fine.

I'm really a full believer now in the whole keep it simple approach. 2" webbing with hardware and nothing else. It really is all that I need.

Living in South Florida, we often dive alfresco. Never an issue. I often wonder why manufactures market padding at the back. On the surface the rig is supported by the shoulders. At depth the rig is supported by the water for the most part.

How about a back inflate BCD? They offer all the comforts of "standard" BC with trim characteristics of BP/W. The lift bladder is behind you and along the tank.

I dive a Zeagle Stiletto. Similar to Zeagle Zena. It has enough lift to dive cold water 7 mm but weighs only 7.2 lbs which is perfect for travel. The harness and cummerbund are also modular to help customize fit. I've taken it to the Caribbean and to Hawaii, packs just fine.

I prefer Atomic regs, start at about $500 for entry level, although just about any reg for that price will do for recreational diving.

This is the exact outfit I dive with and I love it. Understand, I am a warm water wuss. Only tropical warm recreational diving. If it ain't 77+ degrees I am just not going there. 2 of the "advantages" pointed out by the BP/W crowd is that with your steel backplate you don't need to add as much weight when your diving. That's an advantage??? You get to pack and carry that extra weight?? NO thanks, I'll just add the right amount of weight when I get to the resort. TSand is someone whose opinion I GREATLY respect. I always read her posts as I think her insights are exceptionsl. But I don't always agree with her:confused: She mentions how she likes to break down her BP/W for packing. I get it BUT I don't want to bother with breaking it down and rebuilding it each time. I want my outfit setup right for me. I HATE putting things together. I looked very closely at the BP/W before I got my stiletto, I tried a couple of them and then I made my choice.

All that said please note the kind of diving I do. Warm water recreational. I don't plan on doing tech dives, I don't need doubles. My choice is based upon gear that is user friendly and comfortable. Oh and I am a big fan of Atomic regs but frankly it is hard to screw up a choice of regs.

As I read this, I ponder. My summer rig is suffering from dissimilar metal syndrome. I really need to break down my aluminum plate from the wing and STA and add new hardware.

2 of the "advantages" pointed out by the BP/W crowd is that with your steel backplate you don't need to add as much weight when your diving. That's an advantage??? You get to pack and carry that extra weight?? NO thanks, I'll just add the right amount of weight when I get to the resort.

It is an advantage to me. My BP/W weighs about 11.5 lbs. A lightweight BCD is going to be about 5 lbs. I'm not going to regret a about a few extra lbs in my suitcase considering the benefit of diving a rig that is locked in for exactly me.

chrpai:
It is an advantage to me. My BP/W weighs 10 lbs. A lightweight BCD is going to be about 5 lbs. I'm not going to regret a about a few extra lbs in my suitcase considering the benefit of diving a rig that is locked in for exactly me.

For certain foreign destinations where the limit is only 50 pounds that extra 5 pounds means a lot to me which is why I'm looking at the new Halcyon travel BP/W as an alternative to my Halcyon Eclipse.

I'd look at the Zeagle ET in that case. But then I shop by $$$ and not by brand. ( In all things, not just scuba.. )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom