BCD and Reg Recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hubby and I now have the wetsuits, hoods, gloves, fins, boots...we are renting BCDs, Regs, weight belts and tanks...but we see how much we will be "wasting" on rentals, we are seriously considering buying the BCDs and Regs soon...like this weekend.

We used weight-integrated BCDs last fall and really loved that. The less invasive the better as far as I am concerned. We got a recommendation for a Halycon, which was nice but a little above us I think.

Keep in mind we are new to diving and we want to get gear we can grow with, but not something that would be too much or too tech for us.
OH...and I want a BCD that can travel well but be used locally.

We want Regs that are easy to draw air from. We used a new type last night (Scuba Pro...not sure of the model) but we didn't like it as much as the version we used last year.

Amy recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Elizabeth

I would recommend a backplate and wing. Although it might be "tech, " which is what I thought when I started diving, they're still good for rec. They're mostly modular, so you can add or change things as you grow without starting all over again. There are many types of weight integration available for them, and they travel well - especially the aluminum backplate. You can also take off the wing and fold it up.

I started with a weight-integrated aqualung BC, but the bp/w is much more comfortable and secure, imho, and takes up much less room in luggage. It's also easier to trim and requires less lead.

But it's a matter of personal preference. You're still renting, so try one out and see if you like it. If not, try a jacket bc or a back-inflate bc. See what's most comfortable for you, fiddle with the features while diving, etc.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I think you will like the Scubapro GO weight integrated B.C. Excellent for travel and can do local.

The Scubapro MK11/C300 is an excellent reg at a great value.

Good Luck & Good diving!

+1 for the BP/W. There are a number of brands cheaper than Halcyon. Deep Sea Supply is popular with many divers here on Scubaboard.

Last edited:
I would recommend a BP/W or Mares Dragon as far as BCDs go, and I recommend NOTHING BUT HOG for regs.

I use my Dragon for reef diving and easier dives, or moderately deep to shallow dives. I use my Hollis Elite 2, Aluminum BP, and S38 Singles wing. I use an Oxycheq for doubles. I mainly use the BP/W for wreck, deep and penetration dives of any kind, which really makes up the bulk of my diving.

Honestly, I'd recommend the BP/W before the Dragon for newer divers because they are truly customizable.

I've had the chance to test and dive with the MK25/A700, the Aqualung Legend LX and the HOG D1 cold water setup. I liked the HOG more than all of them because of the bulletproof design and they practically shove air into your lungs when wide open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What brands does your LDS sell?

Anything Zeagle, oceanic, apex, hog, sherwood, aqua lung, mares will work great. I'm not such a fan of scuba pro now that parts aren't free anymore....other brands are much cheaper to service......I think sherwoods are the best workhorse reg, and cheapest/easiest to service.

For up here in Canada, I would highly recommend a reg that is environmentally sealed (pretty well all are up here).....and I will break the chain here and not recommend specifically a back plate and wing.....I will however suggest a rear inflate BCD....the zeagle line of products are pretty popular among people I dive with, and I use a zeagle BCD when im diving down south.....my backplate and wing or sidemount harness stay home then.

Try getting into a BP/W before you decide that's the right solution for you - it wasn't for me. I don't dive in a wetsuit so comfort was a factor for me - a steel plate across my shoulderblades just didn't do it.

I dive a weight-integrated back-inflate Zeagle Ranger BC. Mine also can hold doubles for simple tech/deeper/longer diving should you pursue that later. They also sell a hard backplate as an option. Zeagle is one mfr. to consider that sells a complete line - if they have a dealer nearby. ScubaPro is another good option. Both also sell ladies models. Really most BC's work equally well within a given price range - a BC is about fit so try on as many as you can.

"Travel well" regionally or on a flight to some warm destination? Size/lift are factors for travel BC's. There are some hybrid models that do both fairly well - fold small for packaging yet have enough lift for a 7MM wetsuit wearing cold water diver - all that neoprene requires more weight to compensate. For an integrated BC also look at the weight pocket capacity and front/rear distribution to see if that works for your needs.

For cold water diving in Canada you'd want an environmentally sealed reg - most of the better line from any major mfr's will have that option either standard or as an option. Some to look at: Atomic Aquatics, Apeks/Aqualung, Aeris/Oceanic, ScubaPro. All should be able to be repaired at dive destinations world-wide if ever needed.
We want Regs that are easy to draw air from.
You might consider Atomic Aquatics if they meet the criteria for you. I own two and they're effortless. Also more expensive than some. Atomic Aquatics: The Best Regulators Ever Designed

The popularity of HOG regs - besides excellent performance - is lower cost and user serviceability. If you have a tech cert. you can take a class to learn to repair them yourself. For a new diver I'd suggest that's not a factor in your decision. Also their dealer network is currently smaller than some of the more mainstream mfr's so check for service options in your area before considering them. HOG regs like the suggested D1 are also DIN - in cold water diving that may be an advantage but in the Caribbean and other popular dive destinations - at least in this hemisphere - you'll find that the majority of rental tanks are yoke. You can buy a DIN/Yoke adapter and carry it also.

I'd recommend that your LDS be an authorized service center for whatever you buy - otherwise you/they will have to send it out.

Doesn't matter - a BCD is a BCD is a BCD - if it has clips on the shoulder, chest and waist and fits you and you can afford it - go ahead and buy it. One thing I would recommend is try and get a BCD that has extra weight pockets on the back - it would help you with your trim.

As for Regs, you will get used to any reg that you buy - trust me you will - breathing will not be a problem. Some one mentioned HOGs, I can vouch for them - done a few dive on mine and they are great, affordable, for the novice and the techie. My first regs were Sheerwoods and they were used and old - I dived with them for about two year and still have them.

I have BCDs and BP/W - love the BP/W and i am sure if you keep diving on a regular basis you will end up with a bP/w setup.

Keep Diving - Dive safe

Whatever you do, TRY on as many different BCs as you can before you buy. If you can take them in the water, even better. Fit is everything in a BC IMO.

Scubaboard is notorious for recommending a backplate and wing (BP/W) to everyone as the best thing since sliced bread, however not everyone who dives wears one nor wants one. You need to try the different types, brands, and configurations of BCs (including a BP/W if you're interested) and make a decision based on what YOU like, what fits YOU best, and what is most comfortable for YOU.

Yes, I'm one of those people who has tried a BP/W and does not like it. I don't find them comfortable and regardless of the hype here, wouldn't dive in one if it were given to me for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom