BC Vest for a large guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanderj1

New
Reaction score
I am a large guy and looking to by a BC vest. I'm going to need an XXL in size. I would appreciate any recommendations and I'm looking for largest and best fitting BC vest.

Try out a bunch of different styles, see which one you like the most. I use an oceanic probe and absolutely love it. In selecting a bc it also depends on what you were trained on, with diving i reccommend using the same style with what you were trained on, or if you are going to switch bc style make sure that you can do a lot of very easy dives to get warmed up on.

Get a BP/W

Seriously, if you're going to become one of those people who insist on recommending a BP/W for every single person who ever takes up any form of diving, at least put a little detail in your post.

I for one am getting very, very sick of posts like this.

Check out the Zeagle stuff- I have a 56" chest and just got a Zeagle Brigade from ScubaToys. Fits great.

As a big man, a backplate with a wing is guaranteed to fit as you can make the harness as large as you want. Conventional or Standard BC’s, even XXL’s may not have enough flexibility in adjustments to guarantee and comfortable, secure fit and most will not accommodate sufficient weight holding capability for a large man in a 7mm full suit.

However, regardless of the repeated chants you will no doubt get in this (and virtually every other one) thread, BP/W is not the end-all-be-all for everyone. I use a Apeks WTX harness system. It works well for me and I would not trade it for a simple BP. If I decided to use doubles, I can add a plate to the system. The system is very secure, flexible and comfortable.

vaderj1, How many dives so far and what style of BC have you been renting? What kind of diving you plan on? I am no expert on this and I wish I found this board before I bought my BC.... that being said, I have enjoyed my XXL Sherwood Avid jacket style for the the last two years but tried a bp/wing and am looking to switch when I can afford the set up.... but I have changed in the last 80+ dives.... yes I'm still a noob but now I understand the SCUBA lingo better now and have a better idea what I want...at least for today.

I want to thank everyone for their posts. I'm just starting out, but I would prefer to have my own BC. I only plan to make warm water dives.

I completed the dive class about 2 years ago but, I didn't perform my open water dives. I know it sounds stupid, but a bunch of crazy stuff happened that summer and I never got to go. I'm scheduled to complete the class again in February and perform a referral dive in St. Thomas the first week of March. Like I said, I would prefer to have my on BC when I train and for the OW dives.

Thanks for all the great info and I would love to hear from other people! :)

I'm 6'4" about 250 maybe 260 after the holidays. I have a Sherwood Avid and a Zeagle Brigade and both of them fit great. It just depends on the type of diving I'm going to be doing on which one I use.

Van, as another option, Mares generally makes BCDs on the large side. As a reference, I'm 6' and about 185-190 lbs and my Medium fits me, but only when I pull the straps in completely (or close to completely) So I'm on the lower end of their Medium size!!!!:D

This said, you need to try a bunch of BCD on to get the feel of what fits you best. Go to your LDS (or whatever shops you have around you) and try as many on as you can. If you can, even try them on in a pool!!!! It's the only way you'll really know if it fits you well!

Good luck!:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom