BC under $300 / Weight Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robustbrad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey all,

I appologize if this has been posted before. I searched and nothing came up.

That being said. The wife gave me the ok to ge a BC that is under $300 (need to take advantage of this, does not happen to often)! I'm new to diving just getting my OW certification over the past weekend and want to start gearing up (I have all my personal equipment already).

Problem is that I am about 40 pounds over my "normal weight" and am in the process of shedding it off. The only problem is that I have the tendancy to gain it back then lose it again .... annoying. So my question is should I wait until I get to my "normal" weight to buy a BC or are BC's in general adjustible to compensate for weight changes?

Looking for a BC that travels well, since we will be doing most of our diving on trips abroad or on the east cost of the united states (which we would be flying to). Also looking for a BC with a good amount of d-rings, pockets for the extras we'll be carrying.

Thanks so much for the help,
Brad

Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations for weight integrated bc's?

Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations for weight integrated bc's?

Nope, I believe in a belt, sorry. Besides, you said you wanted to drop 40 pounds, mess with the "Deluxe" model after that is accomplished.

Scan scubatoys, they may have the weight integrated version of the Caribe, forget what it is called.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! free shipping, 114 dollars after discount, you are not marrying it.

Split the weights, some on belt, some on weight pockets attached to camband.

N <------- max performance, minimum dollars, zen scuba master

I bought my Stealth2 from Diver's Supply a couple of months ago (when they had a huge "employee pricing" sale) for <$200. It is back inflate and weight integrated with trim pockets. So far it's been really good to me... I like the fact that it has two tank straps. At the same time, the wife got an Oceanic Hera for <$300. In essence, we both got BCs for the price of one.

Supposedly, they are going to have these sales 3-4 times a year. The manager said the next one would be somewhere around February this year. Might want to check it out 'cause it was a corporate thing, not a local shop thing. We were at the Tampa, FL store for the sale.

Ken

Oceanic Islander BC, Black/Blue

Got good reviews in Rodale's. I trust them. Many others here don't. I also trust Leisure Pro. Many others here don't. I was this "-" close to getting an Islander 2 a few weeks back. Only significant difference is cosmetics, they say. YMMV. HTH. RTFM. SDSO. WYSIWYG. ***?
(***? = Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Apparently not appropriate to this forum??)

Thanks everyone for the response. It really gives me an idea of what I should be getting. They make you believe in the OW class that everything is going weight integrated and that would be the only way to carry weights in the future.

Thanks everyone for the response. It really gives me an idea of what I should be getting. They make you believe in the OW class that everything is going weight integrated and that would be the only way to carry weights in the future.

Check the classifieds on this board. There are PLENTY of people that offload their BCs because they went BP/W or just have too much crap. I just sold a scubapro knighthawk with Air 2 for under 300. It's over twice that normally and it was only a year old.

I think you'll find the best deals there!!

Here's a new Zeagle for under 200-----Scout......I got one summer of '07 and use 6 lbs in the rear pockets and the rest of my weight on a belt....Great travel BC too, weights about 6 pounds empty.....Lifetime warranty thru Zeagle too......

Zeagle Scout BC

Back
Top Bottom