BC Setup for an Undecided guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dj10022

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I wish i didn't have to write this but I am so confused with soooo many options out there that I think I need some advice. Here's the dillema: I have been diving for over 10 years, put in 150+ dives mostly warm water and consider myself an advanced diver. Been using a jacket style Mares BCD that I really like and have no complains about but recently I have become intrigued by the back inflated BCDs and wanted to get one. I am also seriously considering getting my feet wet into Tech diving but have not started down that path yet. There's a lot of options out there and since money wasnt such a big factor I was looking at the top of the Zeagle line of BCD which I was told can be used in both recreational and tech diving. However, the Ranger although it seems to be an excellent BCD, just comes with a lot of stuff that I dont need and it is very heavy and bulky so I have started researching BP/W setups. Just read a long thread on the Zeagle Express Tech and it seems like a good mutli purpuse BC but can it be really used with a 2 tank setup? Also, what setup would you recomend if I were to go for a SS back plate to minimize the weight used during the dive? Bear in mind that I need something that I can used for warm and cold water in 1 or 2 tank configurations. Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you're heading toward a standard SS BP, single tank wing, and one-piece harness. You can easily add a double tank wing later on should you want. I use and like Halcyon, but DSS and Oxycheq are also popular. If you need more weight, you can either use a standard weight belt, or add a couple of pockets, such as those from XS Scuba, to the belt or tank cambands. You could also add more weight with a weighted STA. I travel with mine to warm water destination several times a year without issue.

Definatley go BP/W instead of back inflated bcd if going Tech, heres my reccomendation: Dive Rite Transpac T3000, with a Classic Wing for doubles, and Ventura, Travel, or Rec Wing for single tank diving, also don't forget the Crotch Strap, it makes a huge difference to some divers by preventing the harness from "riding up".. Anyway hope this helps, you can purchase Dive Rite from these 2 good places: Dive Rite Express is now Dive Gear Express and Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

You may find that you want a different configuration (plate) for warm versus cold water. It makes a lot of sense to have a 6# SS plate in cold water for (at least) 2 reasons: First, it gets some weight off the weightbelt or harness and second because it puts some weight up high.

In turn, you may find that a 6# SS plate puts you in a situation of not having any ditchable weight when you dive in a T-shirt. Here you might want a Kydex or aluminum plate.

But the whole point of the BP/W is that although you might want to use a different plate, you can use the same wing.

Of course, there will be different wings for singles and doubles. It might be tempting to buy a doubles wing and try to use it with a single tank just to save money but it won't work very well because the wing will taco around the tank and become very difficult to vent.

There are a number of good backplates and wings but I think when it gets to be time to buy them as a package, you will be hard pressed to find a better setup than Deep Sea Supply (www.deepseasupply.com).

Richard

If tech is the way you think your going to go, go with a BP/W set up. A SS or AL plate with a simple one piece, Hog, harness and crotch strap.

I wouldn't recommend the DR Rec Wing singles like Atomic Diver does. I dove it for a couple of years and the wing is just too big for singles. When looking at wings, get a wing for singles and get a wing for double. Don't get one of those works okay for both.

The BP/W combo travels amazingly well. My SS Plate and wing with harness weighs less than my buddies Zeagel Stiletto. They can easily be reconfigured for different types of diving. They are really versatile.

So I take it the Zeagle Express tech may not be as good an option as the BP/W setup? Zeagle advertises it as a multi purpuse including 2 tank Tech configuration BCD but it seems the majority is in favor of a BP/W setup. Is it because it dosen't come with an SS or ALu plate? or is it because it's not sturdy enough for 2 tanks? I wish Zeagle made the plate interchangeable for the Express so then people can choose their own type of plate. In spite of this it seems to be very adaptable and reasonably priced so I was wondering what the pros and cons are versus BP/W setup? What do you think?

If you want the Best go with the Best Halcyon Eclipse. It fits great and will last a lifetime. It will grow with you as your diving does. This can be used for singles or Doubles Just by changing the wing. I personally don't Recomend anyone dive with 1 wing it's frankly dangerous and can get yourself into a situation. That is why they make singles and doubles wings. Can it be done sure like most things but it doesn't make it safe.

They Have a new Padded System for those that like it next extra Padding and What they Call the "cinch" System which allows the Diver to quickly and easily be able to adjust the system. The Video can be seen here

Halcyon Cinch Video

Eclipse30_BC_color_small.jpg

Is it because it dosen't come with an SS or ALu plate? or is it because it's not sturdy enough for 2 tanks? In spite of this it seems to be very adaptable and reasonably priced so I was wondering what the pros and cons are versus BP/W setup? What do you think?

If you look at 'tech' bcs they just come with a lot of crap. A lot of that crap isn't necessary. Just one more dangaly to get hung on something. More nylon that creates positive buoyancy that you may need to offset with more lead.

Anything that is touted as multifunction does nothing well.

People favor the BP/W for its simplicity, and that parts are interchangeable. It is also a time proven design.

If you want the Best go with the Best Halcyon Eclipse. It fits great and will last a lifetime. It will grow with you as your diving does. This can be used for singles or Doubles Just by changing the wing. I personally don't Recomend anyone dive with 1 wing it's frankly dangerous and can get yourself into a situation. That is why they make singles and doubles wings. Can it be done sure like most things but it doesn't make it safe.

They Have a new Padded System for those that like it next extra Padding and What they Call the "cinch" System which allows the Diver to quickly and easily be able to adjust the system. The Video can be seen here

Halcyon Cinch Video

Eclipse30_BC_color_small.jpg

:thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom