BC Setup for an Undecided guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The funny thing is that everyone is suggesting going with a more Tech rig setup for diving both tech and rec. I disagree... I did exactly that, and realized that it's really too much for a standard quick shore dive. Having 1 rig do both is more cost effective, but not more practical. I got myself a lovely Dive Rite with plate, wing, harness, etc and had a lovely time with it...and the discomfort. Then I went and got a nice little "Rec" rig with back flotation and modified my tech rig for tech. If you are going to get into technical diving, money is a prerequisite. You'll spend a ton of cash for all the Tech gear, tanks, harnesses & straps, extra gear, etc. So then my question is why would you want to get your gear all prepped and set for diving tech to constantly swap setup for rec diving? I had the same idea about getting a Tech rig and having the option to use it for Rec since I'd do more of that...but it just was such a pain and really stupid. It was soooo much easier to buy a rec BCD, and set my tech rig up the way I like it and get it geared in. I have since even bought a Halcyon rig and use it over my dive rite. As for your initial question, Zeagle....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I used to sell it at a dive shop I taught at and really can't tell you how many faults it has...I don't have enough time to list them. You're better off going with OMS, Halcyon or Dive Rite if you want a rig that really is Tech and capable of rec. Any rig designed as Tec/Rec is really Rec/Junk.

I realize I am about to get slammed by a few die hards who will tell me that they have always dove their tech rig for rec, but to those insane few...is it the same rig you take to the tropics...back plate and all? or do you do something different then? I have been on hundreds of dive trips to some great places and only once did I see some idiot try and use his tech rig outfitted with "travel wings" on travels. I had a bit too much to drink the night before and sat out the first dive and let the guy use my rig for the dive. I saw him the next day with a new BCD (similar to mine) and having a blast.

So what do you do NetDoc, just strap the tank to the BP?
Yes. The two straps thread through the plate and the Wing.
The funny thing is that everyone is suggesting going with a more Tech rig setup for diving both tech and rec.
I hate to quibble, but Zeagle's Express Tech is a distinct departure from a BP & Wing. Yes, I take it diving with me WHEREVER I am going. From sunny Florida, to the Sea of Cortez and then into caves. It's wonderful.

After trying the IQ pack last night in the pool with a Mach 5 30LB Oxycheq wing I can say I was pretty happy with the setup. The only challenge I have right now is to figure a way to balance a little better when I am on the surface with a fully inflated wing. I had set up a weight pocket on the tank for this but still, when fully inflated the wing would push my face in the water if I didnt lean back. That can't be good if you're in trouble so any suggestions? I was using 12lb of weight (just because those are the weights I had with me) arranged 2x4LB on the hips and 1x4LB on in a weight pocket attached to the lower tank strap. Should I put more weight in the back?
thanks

Your problem is answered in your second sentence. Why is your wing fully inflated? This is common among those transitioning to BPW if they do not have the benefit of a mentor or instructor familar with BPW set ups. You only need enough air in the wing to keep your chin out of the water. If this requires you to fully inflate the wing you have too much weight on. I generally set my rig up (including wieghts) so that a half full wing is enough to keep my head out of the water. Any more than that and it defeats the purpose of going to a more streamlined setup. When you are on the surface if you have just enough air to keep your head up and the wing still has some space left you just lay back and enjoy it like being on a raft. You should not need to have the wing fully inflated under normal circumstances. This can also be a result of being used to diving overweighted where that extra lift was needed.

The standard BP/W lovefest is well in swing. I am a believer myself, but I would just sound one note of caution. For all their advantages, a BP/W tends to be a more expensive option for the occasional diver. I have suggested BP/Ws to a number of friends, who balked at paying $440 or so, and they ended up with a cheap and cheareful BC in the $130 range. But they still work.

Jim, thanks for the comments. I wasnt overweight i was just experimenting with the setup. I wanted to see what would happen in an emergency situation where an unconscious diver surfaces with a fully inflated wing. As we know the traditional jacket style bc tends to keep the diver's head straight up on the surface which is not the case with the wing. I dont usually overweight myself, in fact i have figured out my ideal weight depending on what i am wearing but I am curious by nature and wanted to see what would happen if god forbid something crazy happened down there and I end up surfacing unconscious. I know, this is probably crazy but like I said i am an information sponge and I tend to overthink stuff sometime. Just wanted to find out what you guys are doing to balance the posture... Like I said I plan on using a tank mounted weight pocket and two ditchable side pockets. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom