BC Remove and Replace Skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I see it there are two reasons for wight removal and replacement. First is a non-emergency adjustment,
Would you elaborate this please? Describe a specific scenario.
second would be to ditch weight in an emergency.
There's already a skill for that

The OP in question may be undertaking their PADI Divemaster course. If you're not good at holding your breath you may want to do a freediving course, or switch agencies.

The OP in question may be undertaking their PADI Divemaster course. If you're not good at holding your breath you may want to do a freediving course, or switch agencies.

Nope. I followed a different training path.

I simply ran into a video that left me scratching my head - two dive master candidates kneeling on their knees as they exchange gear.

Nope. I followed a different training path.

I simply ran into a video that left me scratching my head - two dive master candidates kneeling on their knees as they exchange gear.
What is it about that old video -- no longer the way that skill is done -- that confuses you?

The Zeagle Ranger aka The Chamber Express is very popular in the area. Pull that rip cord and people will dump often 30 lbs of lead. And up they go!
This sounds like an operator/configuration problem that you are assigning to the gear. 30 lbs seems like a ton of weight to me, so I take it you are implying that the diver is over weighted. Why is that the fault of the Ranger?

If the diver is unable to achieve buoyancy due to a problem with their gear, whether they dump 30 lbs or 6 lbs is irrelevant. If it’s all their ballast, they will still be positive to the same degree. The only time where 30 lbs would make a difference is if their BC was compensating for the overweighting, which would imply it’s working, but just maybe not enough to compensate for the ballast.

Not a gear problem, but a training problem. The Ranger has provisions for weight besides the Ripcord pockets. I dive with a Stiletto, which is similar to the Ranger, though a bit smaller. I dive with 6-8 lbs, typically. Usually 4-6 lbs in the Ripcord pockets and the rest in trim pockets.

It’s not a gear problem with the Zeagles, it’s a training/configuration problem.

This sounds like an operator/configuration problem that you are assigning to the gear. 30 lbs seems like a ton of weight to me, so I take it you are implying that the diver is over weighted. Why is that the fault of the Ranger?

If the diver is unable to achieve buoyancy due to a problem with their gear, whether they dump 30 lbs or 6 lbs is irrelevant. If it’s all their ballast, they will still be positive to the same degree. The only time where 30 lbs would make a difference is if their BC was compensating for the overweighting, which would imply it’s working, but just maybe not enough to compensate for the ballast.

Not a gear problem, but a training problem. The Ranger has provisions for weight besides the Ripcord pockets. I dive with a Stiletto, which is similar to the Ranger, though a bit smaller. I dive with 6-8 lbs, typically. Usually 4-6 lbs in the Ripcord pockets and the rest in trim pockets.

It’s not a gear problem with the Zeagles, it’s a training/configuration problem.
In cold water (40s) with drysuit, thick undergarments, many people dive with 30 lbs. I need 26 myself.

It just isn't the most appropriate BCD for cold water (my opinion) but is popular here

It just isn't the most appropriate BCD for cold water (my opinion) but is popular here
OK. That makes some sense. After all, it was designed in Florida, so may not be the best for cold water.

Besides BP/W what other BCs would be better suited for the cold water? I don’t dive in water that cold, so this is strange territory. Wouldn’t it be better to distribute the weight between the Ripcord pockets and the other available pockets? Say, 10 in each Ripcord pocket and 5 in each trim pocket. Pulling the cord would still leave 10 lbs.

In a true emergency, getting to the surface is a priority. Pulling the cord means dumping everything in those pockets is released. In a not quite so dire situation, removing some ballast is quite easy, as it’s just a zipper on top. It’s really about knowing how to operate your gear.

Besides BP/W what other BCs would be better suited for the cold water?
I actually think 10 lb BPs are more practical for single tank diving.

If you want a comparable setup for distributing weight, you just pay a lot more, closer to $1000.

That just doesn't make any sense even if you have a lot of money.
I don’t dive in water that cold, so this is strange territory. Wouldn’t it be better to distribute the weight between the Ripcord pockets and the other available pockets? Say, 10 in each Ripcord pocket and 5 in each trim pocket. Pulling the cord would still leave 10 lbs.
For the Zeagle Ranger, I would add trim pockets to the two cylinder straps. That could offload a fair bit. it might work to put some weight inside the pockets that doesn't fall out when the rip cord is pulled.

The Zeagle Ranger was my first BCD and I didn't know better. I had 15 lbs in each pocket with my crushed neoprene dry suit.
In a true emergency, getting to the surface is a priority.
With lungs intact
Pulling the cord means dumping everything in those pockets is released. In a not quite so dire situation, removing some ballast is quite easy, as it’s just a zipper on top. It’s really about knowing how to operate your gear.
I wouldn't expect people with thick gloves, possibly dry gloves to have to dexterity to pull out one weight pocket.

Say, 10 in each Ripcord pocket and 5 in each trim pocket.
An arbitrary weight distribution is liable to result in unfavorable trim. I don't think that BC has moveable trim pockets, so they need what they need.

There is no way you can accidentally dump weights in a Ranger, excellent bc.
I used to dive twins but it's low cut so you can't use a weight belt hot or cold

Back
Top Bottom