BC Remove and Replace Skill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Removal and replacement of weight system (underwater) — For student divers using weight integrated BCDs or weight harness systems, have divers remove and replace weights or dump weights on the bottom in shallow water. If necessary, have divers reassemble the system out of the water after weights are removed.
If the weight RR skill is to address an OW need, I'm not sure the replace part is being handled, or required, very well by this standard. As in, well if your kit makes it hard, we'll just get out of the water and do it on the nice handy pool deck.

Asking how standards evolve as gear changes seems a valid question. As does whether new gear (all integrated) still provides what we were asking from the previous gear (weight belt).

I'd think one reason for weight RR is to know how to recover from a partially lost weight system. Like oh sh*t my weight belt is slipping how do I fix that. The get out of the water and onto the pool deck version seems not a solution to that.

In some cases, the drop is unlikely, as in the seriously threaded in pockets. So maybe the recovery is not as likely a need in water.

In other cases, like a clip in pocket that comes loose, it does seem likely and common enough. In which case the 'lets get out of the pool to put it back' is seriously lame.

So on balance it seems a mess.

ETA: particularly if you try to make really hard to work weight systems seem capable of being put back together underwater with lots of weight in them. A not uncommon scenario with big weight integrated pockets. Which seems on issue with the weight system, not the specified standard of being able to remove and replace it, possibly to recover from partial mishaps underwater.

I'd think one reason for weight RR is to know how to recover from a partially lost weight system. Like oh sh*t my weight belt is slipping how do I fix that. The get out of the water and onto the pool deck version seems not a solution to that.
Doing it underwater makes absolute sense if divers are using weight belts and are expecting to continue to use them.
In some cases, the drop is unlikely, as in the seriously threaded in pockets. So maybe the recovery is not as likely a need in water.
That's why the ditch weight skill is done in shallow water.
In other cases, like a clip in pocket that comes loose, it does seem likely and common enough. In which case the 'lets get out of the pool to put it back' is seriously lame.
That's part of the pre-dive equipment check. No one should ever ditch weight underwater unless they are overweighted. We should all agree that divers should never be overweighted (but that should is also a dangerous word as we all know they are).
So on balance it seems a mess.

ETA: particularly if you try too make really hard to work weight systems seem capable of being put back together underwater with lots of weight in them. A not uncommon scenario with big weight integrated pockets.
Yup.
I'd love to see a balanced rig concept discussed in open water courses. It would improve safety for one. I actually have my students at the start of a dive go down to the bottom, ensure their drysuit and wings are fully deflated and see if they can swim to the surface. I want them to check that whenever they go to different configurations to ensure that they can just in case they have the unlikely event of a wing/BCD (and dry suit if applicable) failure.

Ok, so what does that mean with a jacket style BCD with integrated weights (and the sole location that weight is placed). Do you remove the whole scuba kit? Which is its own skill.

The devil is in the details after all.

My Scuba Pro Black has integrated weights and two pockets for weights near the shoulders. The pockets are just that they cannot be removed you would need to remove the weights by hand. If I have to remove my kit I need to make sure I do not float away lol.

I could just wear a weight belt.

I could just wear a weight belt.
But why would you? You'd only wear one to check off a box and then never do it again.

Does that make sense? Is that a good use of a student's time? My most recent trip was to Belize in February. I didn't see a single weight belt. Of course, my observation is statistically meaningless. Though there was a couple getting certified, no weight belts, so I could have asked the instructor how he addresses that. If I were to place a wager, I'd say he skipped it or "merged" the two skills together (scuba kit and weight remove and replace). As they were diving from a boat, they didn't have shallow conditions really in the open water.

I wear a sea soft 12 belt with another 14 in my bc pockets. The 12 gives me a little less cork possibility with a 7mm farmer John. Belts have a place when diving wet. Will have to reevaluate when I pick up an 8/7 semi dry. I also like not having to find room for 26 lbs in my BC and not having that full weight on my shoulders.

No one should ever ditch weight underwater unless they are overweighted.

One should ditch weight underwater when there is no other way to achieve positive buoyancy when needed. Whether one is overweighted is a different issue, which should have been addressed in one's initial training.

One should ditch weight underwater when there is no other way to achieve positive buoyancy when needed. Whether one is overweighted is a different issue, which should have been addressed in one's initial training.
I would argue for a balanced rig. A diver should be able to kick to the surface without much effort. What frightens me of what I see in my area is grossly overweighted divers.

The Zeagle Ranger aka The Chamber Express is very popular in the area. Pull that rip cord and people will dump often 30 lbs of lead. And up they go!

I would argue for a balanced rig. A diver should be able to kick to the surface without much effort. What frightens me of what I see in my area is grossly overweighted divers.

I freedive, so I just adjust weight for my SCUBA rig, when I'm in it.

My point is that ditching weight is an emergency procedure that should be in a divers game plan.

When I learned to dive, the training focused on putting the diver on the surface safely, but also by any means available. We didn't have a BC, which gives modern divers an advantage, until it no longer functions.

As I see it there are two reasons for wight removal and replacement. First is a non-emergency adjustment, second would be to ditch weight in an emergency.

I treat the skill (SDI and AAUS standards) mostly addressing the first option since it is a more complicated task. So weight belts are easy to understand: remove and replace. With integrated weights, students have to remove both ditchable pockets and replace them. I recommend doing this one at a time, but some students like to learn the hard way, pull both out then realize they don't have a free hand to put either of them back.

For systems like a Ranger, I would have them unzip the pockets, pull some weight out and replace it, repeat on both sides. I would also have them pull the ripcord at least once so they can figure out how that works and how to rethread it once on the deck.

I have non-quick ditch pockets on my rig (basically trim weight pockets), so I pull up the velcro flap, pull out the weight block and put it back in. Why is this complicated?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom