BC recommendation for tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver:
I agree with you about travel weight, that would be correct. I would like to ask, however, were you using an aluminum or a steel backplate when you were overweighted?

As a Zeagle rep I have one of everything, so I tried a SS BP first and it grossly overweighted me. The Alum BP was better but it still adds ballast I don't need. I wear zero weights with an HP Steel and 3mm shorty or long sleeve jacket. 2 lbs will handle my 3mm full suit so that covers 9 months of the diving year here.

Some people are more negatively buoyant than I am. I hired a young instructor years ago right out of the USN, he was a rock on the bottom with just a t-shirt and shorts, and could probably dive an alum 80 with no weight.

rootofallevil asked for advice on a tropical BC and expressed concerns about straps. He stated goals of achieving neutral buoyancy and streamlining with minimal weight. We should have hired him to write ad copy for the Stiletto!

Zeagle sells many BP&Ws made of SS, Alum. and Titanium. I highly recommend them for those that desire their strong points. However it is clear that for many people a BP&W is not the ultimate in gear choice.

Personally, I learned to dive on a strap backpack and dove for years with strap backmount BCs. I'm not going back to one now.

Chad

In that case, I'd say you're right. A BP/W would not be ideal for your current diving. I guess if it works, dive it; if not, change it.

for every time someone asks about the best bcd and you hear BP & Wing...BP & wing....

Oh well..... Here is my 2 cents on this.

I highly recommend you look at a Sea Quest Balance. It is very uncluttered and has what I think is the most comfortable fit in this kind of gear. It is back inflate and has one pocket that is tucked out of the way if you don't need it. It is weight integrated as well. If you are travelling around it is lightweight too. No velcro around the waist either.

Here is a link for a review I found. http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=33977

I find it is stable and functional. Let me know if you look at one, I would be interested as to what you think.

I have to second the SeaQuest Balance recommendation. I have one myself, and I really love it. I am seriously thinking about BP/W in the future - but not because of any disatisfication with the Balance. I just want to be able to adjust my configuration in the future for doubles.

To be honest, I haven't decided whether to keep or sell my Balance once I do get a BP/W. When I dive with no wetsuit in the Florida Keys, I would think that a steel or aluminum backplate would be cold against my bare back. The balance, however, is quite comfortable, and has niiice soooft fabric on the neck and shoulder strap edgings...

radinator:
I am seriously thinking about BP/SW in the future - but not because of any disatisfication with the Balance. I just want to be able to adjust my configuration in the future for doubles.....

I dive doubles etc.. as well. I do not think that there is only one best configuration for gear. It depends on what you are doing. I think that the Balance and a bp/wing rig are somewhat similar but are suited for different situations. For those of us that dive both technical and recreational, it can't hurt to own both.

Well, living in Guam I believe I can attribute to this thread. I have both a seaquest black diamond as well as an OMS IQ pack and 45lb bungeed wing. I love both but here are my reasons for owning two. The Black Diamond is the easiest to dive for me as most of my diving is off of my 19' Carolina Skiff. I gear up in the water and by using this one, it takes me all of 10 seconds to don the gear. The OMS on the other hand was bought as it was a good deal, would allow me to dive doubles when I get into that as well. I have to say the OMS is much harder to don in the water so i mainly use it for shore dives. I love both but the Black Diamond I believe is better for me. It just comes down to whatever is comfortable for you.

Jason

Chad Carney:
As a Zeagle rep I have one of everything, so I tried a SS BP first and it grossly overweighted me. The Alum BP was better but it still adds ballast I don't need. I wear zero weights with an HP Steel and 3mm shorty or long sleeve jacket. 2 lbs will handle my 3mm full suit so that covers 9 months of the diving year here.

Some people are more negatively buoyant than I am. I hired a young instructor years ago right out of the USN, he was a rock on the bottom with just a t-shirt and shorts, and could probably dive an alum 80 with no weight.

rootofallevil asked for advice on a tropical BC and expressed concerns about straps. He stated goals of achieving neutral buoyancy and streamlining with minimal weight. We should have hired him to write ad copy for the Stiletto!

Zeagle sells many BP&Ws made of SS, Alum. and Titanium. I highly recommend them for those that desire their strong points. However it is clear that for many people a BP&W is not the ultimate in gear choice.

Personally, I learned to dive on a strap backpack and dove for years with strap backmount BCs. I'm not going back to one now.

Chad

Thanks! Do you guys need a sales rep? HAHAHA. Seriously I just need a BC that will allow me to achieve those goals. Although I am new to diving I really think that if I was to progress to tech diving or photography I really have to get my buoyancy/form nailed down.

I was just discussing this with another member of SCUBABOARD and I might just have to get some education on the BP/W and not resort to web research.

The search continues...

I would like to say that I agree completely with herman's responce earlier on the board. However, I feel that diving in a BP/WING would be the only way to go regardless of warm/cold. You might require an aluminum/SS plate depending on the temp., but I always dive with a plate and would advise you to consider it. Hope this helps.

mobstability:
I would like to say that I agree completely with herman's responce earlier on the board. However, I feel that diving in a BP/WING would be the only way to go regardless of warm/cold. You might require an aluminum/SS plate depending on the temp., but I always dive with a plate and would advise you to consider it. Hope this helps.

I still haven't given up on BP/W. Any opinions on hammerhead BPs?

Thanks!

r00t0fallevil:
I still haven't given up on BP/W. Any opinions on hammerhead BPs?

Thanks!

Wow, I could go on and on about their plates. I would HIGHLY recommend them. I used to have a OMS SS plate and it always dug into my sides but the Hammerhead SS one doesn't. I love it and cannot see myself purchasing another BP from any different company. They even have "cold water" and "warm water" specials which include a single tank adapter (STA). Check them out:
www.hammerheadscuba.com

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom