BC recommendation for tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC:
Fill out your profile more...it helps us to know who is close to you. If you are in NC let me know....when I am in town you are welcome to try my bp and wing and i know a pool open most of the time that will let you ....for a small fee....the pool....not me

As for set up....if you go with the delux harness with quick releases....and have it sent to you assembled....all you have to do is tweek the weight pouches. That took no time at all.....just move them to as far back a possilbe and it cancels out the throw forward charateristic....SOME...think applies to bp and wings.

rich

I have updated a little on my profile. As I think about this BC thing more and more, I think I am leaning towards a back inflate BC. I am not against get a BP/W setup, just that I am not a knowledgeable diver enough to know the ins and outs of boyancy control to adjust the BP/W rig. Sad but i think the hour or 2 in the pool and subsequent configuration changes will stop me from getting a BP/W setup.

I guess in the end tropical diving is about achieving neutral boyancy through which ever means one is comfortable with?

Thanks for everyone's replies!

From one newbie to another.... Aeris Atomos XT (from excellent reviews) or SeaQuest ProQD+ (from personal experience - didn't even notice it. Didn't make a single adjustment. Simply put it on and it felt right!)

kfds:
From one newbie to another.... Aeris Atomos XT (from excellent reviews) or SeaQuest ProQD+ (from personal experience - didn't even notice it. Didn't make a single adjustment. Simply put it on and it felt right!)

Thanks for the info. I think the only negative I have found about the Atmos is the size. A little bulky if compared to the Zeagle Scout.

Still in search of the perfect BC....

Checkout the new Zeagle Stiletto... and be sure to register for the drawing to win one FREE!!!

After trying everthing, IMO this BC is far more comfortable and much lighter than any BP&W; more streamlined than any jacket BC, and tough as nails!!!

The down side?
You can't wear it with doubles. (I have another system for that.)

Chad

It might be lighter than a bp/w, but remember the weight you save by eliminating the steel plate and sta will have to be carried on your hips as a weight belt. Personally I'd rather have it spread out on the plate than on a belt.

teknitroxdiver:
It might be lighter than a bp/w, but remember the weight you save by eliminating the steel plate and sta will have to be carried on your hips as a weight belt. Personally I'd rather have it spread out on the plate than on a belt.
Whether the weight would be in the rear mounted trim weights or in the ditchable Ripcord system is the issue here. You don't wear an additional weight belt with Zeagle BCs like the Stiletto.

If you have already eliminated the BP/wing option, I would suggest you try the Scubapro Knighthawk rear inflation BCD with integrated weight pockets. Everyone of my dive buddies who have tried it says it fits like a glove, and is the most comfortable BCD they have ever worn.

I use the OMS IQ Pack with BP insert/wing setup for more technical types of diving, especially when diving in a dry suit or a thick 2-piece wetsuit, but for just plain old fun in tropical water and for teaching scuba courses, I prefer the comfortable, stable, easy to use and adjust Knighthawk. It is almost "bullet proof" and offers extremely easy buoyancy control and trim, while providing more than adequate lift with a "pleated" air cell that is streamlined by elastic cords.

You will have less options in personalizing your setup with the Knighthawk, more options with the BP/wing, but there are always compromises to be made. It will all boil down to your personal preferences in the end. Also, sometimes you have to give your gear a chance to grow on you a little. The Knighthawk will feel great from the first time you wear it, but BP/wing divers love their setups as much, if not more after they have gotten everything worked out and gotten get used to the setup.

Good luck and happy diving!

StSomewhere:
Whether the weight would be in the rear mounted trim weights or in the ditchable Ripcord system is the issue here. You don't wear an additional weight belt with Zeagle BCs like the Stiletto.
True. Perhaps I should rephrase as follows:

If you eliminate weight by removing the backplate and STA, all you are doing is just moving it from the plate and STA and replacing the weight with lead either in the trim pockets or in the integrated system. So, the system still weighs the same when ready to dive.

teknitroxdiver:
True. Perhaps I should rephrase as follows:

If you eliminate weight by removing the backplate and STA, all you are doing is just moving it from the plate and STA and replacing the weight with lead either in the trim pockets or in the integrated system. So, the system still weighs the same when ready to dive.

Maybe your system still weighs the same when ready to dive, but mine doesn't.
Most of the time in Florida I don't need the weight in the first place... so my Stiletto is "much lighter than a BP&W!" In fact a BP&W would give me too much negative buoyancy in the late spring, summer and early fall.

And if I were to fly to some cold water destination where I would need the weight, I'd pick it up there along with the tank, making my travel bag "much lighter than with a BP&W!" While winter diving in Florida I leave weights on my boat so I don't have to carry them back and forth.

Chad

I agree with you about travel weight, that would be correct. I would like to ask, however, were you using an aluminum or a steel backplate when you were overweighted?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom