BC recommendation for tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They look good, if you don't mind a horseshoe-shaped wing. A lot of people will tell you this is bad. I'm not sure if it's really bad, it's just not the ideal situation for a single-tank wing. After a few dives you would be adept at using the wing and wouldn't really notice, just like any piece of gear that is different from your normal gear. The best would be a donut wing like the Oxycheq wings. That way you don't have to do as much moving to get all the air out. Other than that...nice plate, looks like good quality.

teknitroxdiver:
The best would be a horseshoe wing like the Oxycheq wings.

I think you meant to say "donut" shaped wing like Oxycheq ... the only horseshoe wings by Oxycheq are made for doubles.

Although I'm a big fan of Oxycheq wings (I own four of them) I have found that the horseshoe-shape/donut-shape controversy is somewhat overstated. Some horseshoe-shaped wings perform quite OK for singles applications.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I assembled my own bp harness (1 piece style) and actually enjoyed doing it. It was comfortable the first time I dove with it. I did all the assembly off of internet instructions and did not meet another diver who was familiar with them until nearly 20 dives later. The changes I made were very minor (1/2" adustment here, slide that ring over there, etc..) things that would not always be possible with a pre-made harness on some systems. So I just like the verstility.
I have a second plate that I loan out and I have considered some type of quick release/adjustment buckle on it since a wide size of divers use it regularaly and it's getting adjusted for someone new every few dives.

Just one more opinion to throw in the mix for ya'

Aloha, Tim

After much debate, I finaly settled on a Zeagle Scout with 35lb lift bladder. I still don't know if this is the proper choice, but I figure now I can put more money on the regs. :)I think I will be going with the Scubapro MK25/S600 for those watching this thread.

My first above water impressions of the Zeagle scout is no frills design. There are no real pockets, just utility pockets where one may add ballast. The Scout does have these tank pockets. I am not sure how useful these babies would be. In the event of an emergency situation I don't think I will find the position of the velcro release of the tank pockets ergonomical.

I did a search for this BC on www.scubadiving.com and found that this BC wasn't rated that highly. Here is the link:

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/buoyancy_compensators/15_weight-integrated_back-buoyancy_bcs/15/

I am new to diving but I don't understand what unstable at depth means. The article is also titled: unstable when loaded. What does this mean?

I always thought one of the goals of recreational diving is diving with the least amount of weight?

*sigh*

No Fish:
for every time someone asks about the best bcd and you hear BP & Wing...BP & wing....

Oh well..... Here is my 2 cents on this.

I highly recommend you look at a Sea Quest Balance. It is very uncluttered and has what I think is the most comfortable fit in this kind of gear. It is back inflate and has one pocket that is tucked out of the way if you don't need it. It is weight integrated as well. If you are travelling around it is lightweight too. No velcro around the waist either.

Here is a link for a review I found. http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=33977

I find it is stable and functional. Let me know if you look at one, I would be interested as to what you think.

You call that uncluttered?

r00t0fallevil:
I am new to diving but I don't understand what unstable at depth means. The article is also titled: unstable when loaded. What does this mean?

I always thought one of the goals of recreational diving is diving with the least amount of weight?

*sigh*

My interpretation of this article means that loading the weight pockets will turtle you when swimming. In other words, by their standards it will want to roll you onto your back. If you are using this in warm water, then chances are that you will only have a little bit of weight on - 10lbs or so. Not having used this BC - my guess is that turtleing won't happen. The article doesn't state that the tests were done in a warm or cold water environment. It does state that they loaded it with weight, so one can surmise that it was likely done in cold water with either a heavy wetsuit or drysuit. My guess is you will be fine.
You asked about the pouches next to the tank. These are for trim weights. If you are wearing a lot of weight on your hips, you will tend to be feet heavy and swimming in a heads up position. This creates unnecessary drag. It is then advisable to put some of the weight in the trim pouches to even your weight distribution out a bit.

r00t0fallevil:
think of it as the *correct* amount of weight. Being too heavy is bad, but being too light is problematic as well.

When it comes to what's popular in Zeagle's recreational BCs, the Scout was dead last.
The similar Escape is more than 5 times more popular, and slightly more expensive. The Scout was the only one of these BCs to have no vest-mounted weight system, using only rear weight pockets. Those that used little weight often liked the BC. Weights distributed evenly at the divers hips seems to be the better way to handle most of the required weighting, with a tad possibly placed in the back for trim.

Chad

Chad Carney:
When it comes to what's popular in Zeagle's recreational BCs, the Scout was dead last.
The similar Escape is more than 5 times more popular, and slightly more expensive. The Scout was the only one of these BCs to have no vest-mounted weight system, using only rear weight pockets. Those that used little weight often liked the BC. Weights distributed evenly at the divers hips seems to be the better way to handle most of the required weighting, with a tad possibly placed in the back for trim.

Chad

Thanks for the reply... The scout is a basic BC. I am getting second thoughts now. :( Wondering if there is a back plate and wing that I can get under 250.

HAHAHAH...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom