BC recommendation for tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

root,

The type of diving you do most often determines the BC. The BP/W is nothing new, we used them back in the 1970's. The invention of the BC all but killed off the BP/W for recreational open water use because the early BCs were so much more comfortable, and easier to use. The recent lovefest with the BP/W is just that. Neither rig is right nor wrong in-and-of themselves. I use both rigs in my diving, BC for open water, and BP/W for river and close-quarter diving.

And, as always, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

OE2X:
My interpretation of this article means that loading the weight pockets will turtle you when swimming. In other words, by their standards it will want to roll you onto your back. If you are using this in warm water, then chances are that you will only have a little bit of weight on - 10lbs or so. Not having used this BC - my guess is that turtleing won't happen. The article doesn't state that the tests were done in a warm or cold water environment. It does state that they loaded it with weight, so one can surmise that it was likely done in cold water with either a heavy wetsuit or drysuit. My guess is you will be fine.
You asked about the pouches next to the tank. These are for trim weights. If you are wearing a lot of weight on your hips, you will tend to be feet heavy and swimming in a heads up position. This creates unnecessary drag. It is then advisable to put some of the weight in the trim pouches to even your weight distribution out a bit.

Your right. I have over 120 dives- prob close to 150 hrs of UW time, in a Scout and it's my prefered warm water BC. If you add much more than 10 lbs to the weight system, and yes those pouches in the rear actually are the "intergrated" weight system, it will flip you over. I dive with around 6 to 8 lbs in salt water (AL-80) and it does great. If I am in a really picky trim mood I move 2- 1lb weights into the frount pannels. They are not advertised as weight pockets but do a nice job for a pound or 2. The rear pouches are ditchable but with so little weight, I doubt there would ever be a need to do so. You can always use a standard weight belt with it. This BC really is not intended for anything more than warm water use. I would not consider it for a general use BC but as a warm water BC if used with small amounts of weight, it preforms quite well.

I agree with Herman. Until we put together the Stiletto, the Scout was my BC of choice as well (and I have the ability to dive ANYTHING we make). If you are warm water recreational diving with only a few pounds of weight, it is unbeatable, imho. Of course, as Chad said earlier, MANY people do not agree, based soely on sales figures!!
Once my "normal dives" turned into spearfishing trips, the Scout was no longer adequate for me, thus the change...

Scott

Back
Top Bottom