BC recommendation for tropical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r00t0fallevil

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am fairly new to the diving scene and am interested in buying a BC. My diving for now and in the future will remain in warm waters (70F plus). There is much discussion about the BP/W. I was trained on a jacket style BC and all the people I dive with have jacket style BCs. However I am not against trying something new, ie the BP/W. In my research I am looking at the Aeris Atmos XT. Scubadiving.com scored the Aeris high marks. The Aeris is a little pricey compared to a Hammerhead backplate with a Dive Rite Travel Wing. I am a little concerned about adjusting the straps for the BP/W. My fear is that improper configuration could lead to unhappy diving experiences. Any words of wisdom anyone can supply would be great.

Thanks for your adivce...

I think a bp/w would be great for tropical diving. It's compact and streamlined, and leaves your chest area free from 'clutter'. Adjusting the straps shouldn't be a problem. After you set them correctly, it will be very stable and comfortable. There are lots of online sources to show you how to thread the harness, and how tight each section should be. Here's one such site: http://baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

If you can find a person around where you live that has a bp/w setup, he/she will be able to offer a lot of help too.

Have fun!

Welcome to the board.
There are really 2 types of BC's in use today. The jacket and the back inflate. The BP/wing is a version of the back inflate but certainly not the only version. I dive a back inflate but not a BP. Having tried a BP, I did not find it to my liking for several reasons, not the least of which is the lack of quick releases and ease of adjustment, others prefer it. There really is no right or wrong, it's up to you to decide what you like best. I would encourage you to give some type of back inflate a try before deciding against them. If you are going to be traveling with this BC on airlines, size and weight is something you need to consider. I purchased a second BC just for travel. It was the lightest, smallest back inflate I could find and I have since added an even smaller bladder to cut the size/weight down more. As examples of back inflates (non BP) look at the Zeagle line. In my opinion, the Ranger is just too big and bulky for air travel but the smaller BCs like the Escape make good all around BC's. The even smaller Scout makes a good light weight and inexpensive travel BC. For what it's worth, I now use a Scout for 90% of my diving which tends to be warm water reefs. http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=RecreationalBcs&src=gendocs&link=RecreationalBCs

I use my BP/W for tropical diving, and I love it. I tried jacket, back inflate, and BP/W before purchasing, and BP/W was by far the most comfortable. I will not lie, you will probably spend 2 hours trying to rig your first harness. Then a couple dives adjusting it (I highly recommend a pool for this). After that, you won't touch it again for a long time. Oh yeah, be sure to get a crotch strap. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but it makes the BC much more comfortable.

If in doubt, rent a BP/W before you buy. Don't know where you live, but there are a couple places here in Florida that rent them. For warm water diving Dive Rite Express (Fill Express) near West Palm rents them.

I guess it depends on the model you purchase. I have a Dive Rite bp and wing...TransPlate...with the adjustable harness...and it has quick releases and is no problem to get into or out of.....and it came fully assembled at not extra charge. I just had to tweek the position of the weight pouches.

I also have a SeaQuest Pro Q D and prefer my bp and wing over the SQ.

Go to www.northeastscubasupply.com for a good deal on DR gear with complete DR warrantee support. They have a full bp and wing there for $449 or less.

take care and good luck on your purchase.....get what makes you happy...not what anyone else can talk better than another
rich

I would recommend to definitely consider BP+wing setup. I previous own a SeaQuest ProQD+ (which is a good jacket style BC) but it is currently sitting idle since I have adopted my BP+wing.

Not saying that BP+wing is the RIGHT system. I do suggest you try it out before making. Since BP+wing is pretty rare in Thailand, I didn't find out about it until I got my ProQD+. If I did, I will definitely have got the BP+wing since then.

RICHinNC:
I guess it depends on the model you purchase. I have a Dive Rite bp and wing...TransPlate...with the adjustable harness...and it has quick releases and is no problem to get into or out of.....and it came fully assembled at not extra charge. I just had to tweek the position of the weight pouches.
Yeah, I have the standard harness (ie. one long weight belt). It took a while to get it right, the little instruction sheet is worse than "insert tab a into slot b..." And don't get me started on the crotch strap (yeah, like that diagram is going to help). Yeah it simple now, but most things are simple in retrospect.

RICHinNC:
take care and good luck on your purchase.....get what makes you happy...not what anyone else can talk better than another
rich
Absolutely. You have probably heard this many times before: rent, borrow, beg. I tried jacket, back inflate, and bp/w. BP/W worked best for me, but not so well for one of my buddies (tell me again, why do you need so many pockets... :06: ). It is a fairly major purchase, and is a major contributor to your comfort underwater. Buying a BC without diving it first would be like buying a new car from a catalog. Some people prefer Honda, some Hummer. Until you drive them both, you won't really know.

gle:
Yeah, I have the standard harness (ie. one long weight belt). It took a while to get it right, the little instruction sheet is worse than "insert tab a into slot b..." And don't get me started on the crotch strap (yeah, like that diagram is going to help). Yeah it simple now, but most things are simple in retrospect.

Absolutely. You have probably heard this many times before: rent, borrow, beg. I tried jacket, back inflate, and bp/w. BP/W worked best for me, but not so well for one of my buddies (tell me again, why do you need so many pockets... :06: ). It is a fairly major purchase, and is a major contributor to your comfort underwater. Buying a BC without diving it first would be like buying a new car from a catalog. Some people prefer Honda, some Hummer. Until you drive them both, you won't really know.

Thanks for the replies guys....

I am aware about some of the draw backs with the BP/W straps. I do plan on doing many beach dives and would find a quick release/easy adjustability important, albiet non Hogarthian. So far the places I have gone diving do not offer BP/W rentals. I am extremely concerned about how to adjust properly the straps for the BP/W, since I will be the only one in my circle of dive buddies with a BP/W. Everyone extolls the virtues of using BP/W but few admit to the pains in proper configuration. From what I gather, the goal of tropical diving is:

1. Achieving netural boyancy
2. Carrying as little weight as possible
3. Streamlining

Thus I am looking for any BC that fits me like a glove. My only reservation with the BP/W is the setup. I have spoken to a few dive shops and most require that I do some pool work for the configuration testing before going out into the tropics. Maybe the jacket/back inflate BCs are not so bad?

Fill out your profile more...it helps us to know who is close to you. If you are in NC let me know....when I am in town you are welcome to try my bp and wing and i know a pool open most of the time that will let you ....for a small fee....the pool....not me

As for set up....if you go with the delux harness with quick releases....and have it sent to you assembled....all you have to do is tweek the weight pouches. That took no time at all.....just move them to as far back a possilbe and it cancels out the throw forward charateristic....SOME...think applies to bp and wings.

rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom